Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PTizzle
Oct 1, 2008
A Good OP.

The Ashes should be fun but I'm more worried about the possibility of India giving us a royal rogering on their nutty pitches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PTizzle
Oct 1, 2008
I'd love NZ to bundle them out for under 400 and make a game of it.

Or at least make them bat again.

PTizzle
Oct 1, 2008
All NZ need to do now is hit about 100 sixes, push a few singles around and they've got it in the bag.

EDIT: Cool start Guppy.

PTizzle fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Jan 3, 2013

PTizzle
Oct 1, 2008
Kane 'future captain' Williamson everybody. What a bloody braindead shot.

PTizzle
Oct 1, 2008

dflanny posted:

Ok I know I'm being hyperbolic, but most poo poo bowling attacks usually have someone half decent, like England had Gough, and Zimbabwe weren't all that bad back then, they had Heath Streak. All these Sri Lankan bowlers records are loving rubbish.

Herath is really bloody good. Took the most wickets for 2012 (iirc, I'm very tired) and skittled the Aussies in Hobart one innings.

Their quickies are super lacking without Kulasekara though.

PTizzle
Oct 1, 2008
Fellas can we keep the pommy vs convict argument for the correct time, i.e the Ashes. Right now we are taking on Sri Lanka's deadly pace attack and the English are gearing up to play the might of New Zealand, clearly bigger fish to fry here.

But y'know apart from Cook I seriously think Swann would be one of my first picked from the English side if I could grab him, hell'uvan offie. Besides jokes on everyone else, Johnson bowled terribly and Bird bowled well.

PTizzle
Oct 1, 2008

Burn Down Canberra posted:

I'd take either of the English spinners over Lyon. Hell I'd be drat tempted to bowl four quicks outside of the subcontinent because they only use Lyon in a holding role which can be done by Clarke/Warner/Khawaja (if he gets picked to replace Huss) or Maxwell if Watson ends up dying of injuries.

I love Lyon but he's gonna do stuff all in England you'd have to think. Holding patterns are p underrated though, Warner should bowl more but I doubt Clarke will bowl much out of fear of doing his back.

PTizzle
Oct 1, 2008

Lionel RichTea posted:

I thought Clarke was physically incapable of batting above 5

He's willing to move up if it means he has more juicy useless bowling options to tinker with.

Burn Down Canberra posted:

I hate Lyon. He bowls too fast. He is like a twenty20 cricketer in a test side. Waste of a position.

The job of any bowler should be to take wickets first and foremost. I mean not to leak runs like McGain did against the saffies but wickets should be their only real goal.

I like Lyon because I was getting pretty loving tired of playing a new spinner every second test. He does bowl way too fast but he's good enough for now, plus he cleans up the tail very well which our fast bowlers are often incapable of.

PTizzle
Oct 1, 2008
Was really hoping NZ could make the South Africans go out and chase like 5 runs or something, but ah well. They can take something from that second innings at least.

Isn't Tremlett like the English version of Cummins? Like super talented but always injured?

PTizzle
Oct 1, 2008

Windmill Hut posted:

gently caress off steve smith glenn maxwell

PTizzle
Oct 1, 2008
Hahaha, that is absolutely bizarre. No evidence there to overturn it.

Bit of excitement at least.

PTizzle
Oct 1, 2008
Haha, great crowd catch. Didn't even drop his drink.

PTizzle
Oct 1, 2008
NZ have batted like a test team for 12 overs. What is going on here.

PTizzle
Oct 1, 2008
loving Maxwell. the Indians/English will eat him alive.

PTizzle
Oct 1, 2008

Pig in the City posted:

If anyone's interested, here's a big dumb thing I put too much time into:
http://fineanimalgorilla.com/2013/01/14/prime-ministers-xi-made-of-prime-ministers/

The PM's XI made of PMs

e: I love Smith. I don't know why. I think he played a shot in his first game that reminded me of Waugh and then I stopped watching him forever.

That's awesome, well done.

I like Smith and he deserves another proper go. He has vastly improved his batting in the domestic circuit and his bowling is better than Maxwell's.

More annoyed that Cutting got dropped than anything.

PTizzle
Oct 1, 2008
Bloody solid powerplay bowling by the Poms. Even with Dernbach.

Pomersbach just hit 112 off 70 in the BBL semi, tournament has been a lot of tripe but that was great.

PTizzle
Oct 1, 2008
I cannot fathom a thought process that would result in Dernbach bowling the final over of an ODI.

PTizzle
Oct 1, 2008
Oi umpire if it's outside leg it's not LBW innit

PTizzle
Oct 1, 2008
Is Kumar actually medium pace? He gets a shitload of wickets. Or is he like, 125-130 'military' with a lot of swing.

PTizzle
Oct 1, 2008
No doubt India will use this win to sweep the test series under the rug.

PTizzle
Oct 1, 2008

Mister Chief posted:

Michael Hussey is keeping in the BBL semi for some reason.

Cos it owns I'd imagine.

PTizzle
Oct 1, 2008
The much hyped A Team showing their worth.

PTizzle
Oct 1, 2008
http://www.espncricinfo.com/australia-v-sri-lanka-2012/engine/current/match/573016.html

Look at that loving scorecard. Look at it.

PTizzle
Oct 1, 2008
10 and 11 saving us from breaking horrible records again.

PTizzle
Oct 1, 2008
Some Australia-esque ODI work by England here.

Meanwhile NZ just got Amla in the 5th over.

PTizzle
Oct 1, 2008
:siren: Australian collapse incoming :siren:

PTizzle
Oct 1, 2008

Tony Inchpractice posted:

Best thing about this is the commentators slowly lowering their expectations. Started at 250 runs being par on this pitch, now its down to 220-230. I honestly expect at some point to hear Mark Taylor go "120 is a competitive total here".

I'm still laughing at Taylor saying we could get 250 when we were 4/20 last ODI.

PTizzle
Oct 1, 2008

Scylo posted:

Dave Hussey has been dropped for Aaron Finch for the first two West Indies games.

I see Superstar Glen Maxwell is still in the side after doing sweet gently caress all.

PTizzle
Oct 1, 2008
Guptill has been utterly abysmal since his knock in the T20. Wtf is he even doing out there. Don't let the bloke open at least.

PTizzle
Oct 1, 2008

Quanta posted:

As great as Steyn is as a test bowler, he's never managed to become a great limited overs bowler.

He usually does well in T20s. Just can't reserve himself enough in the one day format for whatever reason.

Him and Kleinveldt were both fairly rubbish in this match.

PTizzle
Oct 1, 2008

Mister Chief posted:

Ryder won't be playing in the England series. gently caress.

What happened?

India having a shithouse time of this ODI so far, hope England rip through them.

The T20 last night sucked. Just watched the end of a Shield game where SA had to get like 30 runs with 3 wickets in hand and only just got there. Way more tension in that than any point of the game last night.

Also no inane banter from washed up cricketers (although I <3 Huss).

PTizzle
Oct 1, 2008

Doctor Cave posted:

Yeah, I was thinking afterwards he must have retired hurt

Got smacked on the head by Pattinson iirc.

Solid century by Bell. The last enjoyable ODI was the Saffers vs NZ I reckon.

PTizzle
Oct 1, 2008
Starc spraying poo poo everywhere. Faulkner looking the goods though, been wanting him in the team.

PTizzle
Oct 1, 2008

Mister Chief posted:

What the hell is Michael Slater riding?

a Bad Commentary Bike.

This game is a total farce but it's kinda funny. Ford is such a wanker, usually wouldn't care if we win a T20 but I'd like to just so he has a big whinge afterwards.

PTizzle
Oct 1, 2008
Maxwell is doing something this game, colour me shocked.

PTizzle
Oct 1, 2008
Haha, holy poo poo.

CA is going to have a massive sook about this.

PTizzle
Oct 1, 2008
I reckon a lot of it is Mahela tbh, despite Maxwell being an utter oval office.

PTizzle
Oct 1, 2008

webmeister posted:

What's going on? I don't have a TV handy

Maxwell said something to the effect of "hurry the gently caress up", Mahela told him to gently caress off, Thisara gave it to him when he missed the last ball then after the game had finish and they were doing their handshakes it kept going. Mahela was sooking and Maxwell kept arguing, then Wade got in on it and they sorta had to break it up. Was a bit like a footy argument really.

Gonna be a lot of sookery, should be entertaining :cool:

PTizzle
Oct 1, 2008

Applecross WC. posted:

I thought he was telling the umpire to gently caress off.

Could be either, was hard to see. Assume it was Maxwell cos he was yelling at him, doubt Mahela would say that to an ump.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PTizzle
Oct 1, 2008
33 minutes to bowl 5 overs should at least incur some De Villiers-esque fines.

Good entertainment after the rain.

• Locked thread