Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:
I feel the biggest issue with Australian cricket is the selectors. I've heard talk of Maxwell replacing hussey instead of khawaja. The problem is Maxwell doesn't have the greatest temperament and that would be a collapse prone top order. Even more so than now. Watson is simply terrible with the bat right now.

edit

Also could you imagine McGrath being rotated. Australia is the only country to do this crap. The last test there was the insane situation of an injured batsmen (clarke) playing while an uninjured bowler was rotated so a proven failure could pad his stats against one of the worst test teams

Burn Down Canberra fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Jan 1, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

The thing with Watson is that on the surface he does the job as an allrounder. Averages a shade over 30 with the ball and a little under 40 with the bat. With a full workload bowling and coming in at 6 or 7 he would be fine for what he is.

From all reports he is struggling bowling at all and is expected to bat in the top four. So what are we left with. A guy with two centuries to his name, who has a very one dimensional batting game. There are other areas about his game that I hate. He's like a tank between the wickets and selfish to the point of parody of a cricketer. I'm surprised he doesn't reach for the drs when he is clean bowled.

I also can't be bothered looking it up but how has his form been since Clarke took over ?

I'd rather a top four of batsmen who can play off the front and back foot. Maybe that's just me.

Edit.

I've been beaten with my Watson rant.

Burn Down Canberra fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Jan 1, 2013

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Absolute balls that team. Perfect time to put khawaja in at six against not an especially good team. Now he or Maxwell is thrown in on an away tour of India where we traditionally play like garbage.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Apparently the scg is very green. So why not drop Lyon for Maxwell with Warner as back up and play khawaja in the place of Watson.

If its green as reported Lyon is going to be once again used as a defensive bowler while the quicks rest.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

EMC posted:

Hey everyone, I would like you to introduce you to the Australian bowling line up that is no doubt so feared in England - MiJo, Starc and Lyon, a collective 0/80 odd from 23 overs

Edit: Just as I give him poo poo Starc takes a wicket, go gently caress yourself

I think Starc could be a weapon in England but maybe not this time around. The thing with Starc is you can see flashes of brilliance mixed in with how raw he is. I would rather play him over Mijo but both are only there because of injuries. I think Bird and Starc could surprise the poms a bit.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

He is more like a poor mans McGrath which is certainly better than we have. He reminds me of Clark.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Pig in the City posted:

Bird is fun to watch.

I always forget how messed up Starc's action is. I was working the game today and on his first ball openly called 'What the gently caress was that?'

Speaking of actions has Johnson changed his or did he always jog in looking like an effeminate t rex.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

That is appalling cricket. That was an easy two.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

I just can't get over that Cowan runout. The papers have been drilling the averages of the players outside of Clarke with hussey retiring and he is jogging carrying his gloves. Terrible. Just terrible.

He should be dropped just for that.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Hughes is obviously very talented and all but could this Sri Lankan attack be really considered a test to see where he is at.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Angelo Matthews makes Shane Watson look like kallis. They are essentially about the level of a Sydney grade team.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Even the worst England side had more bite than this line up. Lets not forget England of the 90s where playing a much much much much better Australian side.

This Australian side is not that bad but its fragile.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Quanta posted:

Asterisk Shane Warne's wickets column as well.

Yeah he took a lot of wickets against the English who have can't play spin as a racial trait.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Lionel RichTea posted:

Hughes getting flummoxed by the spin of Dilshan.

I'm actually a bit worried that herath might rip through the line up. Its not deep, its fragile, the pitch is drying out and spinning.

Good call on the toss Clarke you maniac.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Lionel RichTea posted:

Surprisingly, bat like a nobhead in England and you get out.

He is aggressive but bats with a decent enough temperament. I mean I'm not sure how his batting like a nobhead.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Hughes has his issues but he's bloody good through the off side from the backfoot. When he is at his best.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Well he got out like a nobhead in the end but it was one of his first nobhead shots.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

It was a rash shot. All cricketers play them. Warner isn't any worse than any other Australian batsman in that regard. Lionel was acting like he is just some maniac.

his scoring rate was more reflective in how Sri Lanka bowled imo.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

thehappyprince posted:

god i can't wait for the ashes. if i was a woman my fanny would be literally dripping.

Why are you looking forward to being beaten so much. Some weird fetish ?

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Cat Terrist posted:

c Guptill B Martin

Weren't those balls that sort of caught him in no man's land with his feet. That's the ideal length to bowl to him.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Cat Terrist posted:

You cant seriously think this pack will beat England.

England aren't that good. I think we will beat them in Australia unless we get completely brutalised in England. We are also heading in the right direction.
Relax. We got dis.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Lionel RichTea posted:

Ole Hughsey scores some unconvicing runs and Johnson looks like he isn't complete poo poo for a 20 minute passage of play or something and the Australians are having a wank about it. It's all going swimmingly for England at this point.

If we played a fraction better against south africa we would be the world number 1 test team right now.

SA are certainly better than you lot and we did better than expected against them.

Its more the fact England aren't as good as this thread would believe. Are we worse well in a few months we will see.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

There just isn't a lot between the top four or so test nations based on where the game is played, weather conditions, etc I think Australia can beat anyone on the day. We are certainly getting better.

What I find weird is that if we aren't blowing teams off the park we are poo poo. This mostly comes from the Australian posters. International cricket is tight right now.

I'm happy with the progress we have made since Clarke took over the captaincy. Most of my gripes are with selection.

We aren't the Australia of a decade ago but we aren't Ireland either. Wait how come the op doesn't mention England lost to Ireland :v:

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Lionel RichTea posted:

What did he say that was wrong? Honestly appraise please.

Your pace attack isn't really that good. I'd take Australia's at full strength. Especially what we have coming through.

EDIT

According to the ICC test bowler rankings Australia has one bowler in the top five in the world to Englands....zero. oh.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

thehappyprince posted:

what is your full strength attack?

Hard to say because they keep getting injured but something from the pool of Siddle, Pattinson, Starc and Bird I like. With Pat Cummins waiting in the wings.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

PTizzle posted:

Fellas can we keep the pommy vs convict argument for the correct time, i.e the Ashes. Right now we are taking on Sri Lanka's deadly pace attack and the English are gearing up to play the might of New Zealand, clearly bigger fish to fry here.

But y'know apart from Cook I seriously think Swann would be one of my first picked from the English side if I could grab him, hell'uvan offie. Besides jokes on everyone else, Johnson bowled terribly and Bird bowled well.

I'd take either of the English spinners over Lyon. Hell I'd be drat tempted to bowl four quicks outside of the subcontinent because they only use Lyon in a holding role which can be done by Clarke/Warner/Khawaja (if he gets picked to replace Huss) or Maxwell if Watson ends up dying of injuries.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

PTizzle posted:

I love Lyon but he's gonna do stuff all in England you'd have to think. Holding patterns are p underrated though, Warner should bowl more but I doubt Clarke will bowl much out of fear of doing his back.

I hate Lyon. He bowls too fast. He is like a twenty20 cricketer in a test side. Waste of a position.

The job of any bowler should be to take wickets first and foremost. I mean not to leak runs like McGain did against the saffies but wickets should be their only real goal.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

It keeps the brain cool.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

What a dumb shot Clarke. Here is allrounder Mitch Johnson.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

If Johnson had any decency he would walk out the SCG jump on a horse and gallop back to Western Australia never to be seen again.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Fantastic little innings by Wade.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

It was great entertainment. Loved the crowd cheering Bird on.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Lungboy posted:

The field placement, the bowling and the way Wade was batting felt like a T20 game.

I don't think you are allowed to space every bloke besides one slip around the boundary in t20.

It was crazy negative. Glad it didn't work.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Wade is comfortably the worst test keeper I can remember watching in my lifetime.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Sorry I meant Australian keepers. Good point. Wade is awful with the gloves. Makes haddin look like Healy.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

He was the best actual keeper I've seen play for Australia. Gilly will always make all time best sides ahead of him on his batting but Healy was the better gloveman. Especially keeping to Warne.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Tony A. Butt posted:

Darren Berry was the best keeper in the world for 10 years and his failure to win a test cap is one of this nations greatest sporting tragedies.

Yes he was a very skilled keeper but was also a gigantic dickhead so its probably for the best.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Haddin is a much better keeper.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

This is one of the worst keeping performances by an Australian I can remember.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

I like most of the side. They either do the job or have a bit of potential about them. Exciting side to follow. I think ausgoons just miss the day when we would blow sides away.

• Locked thread