Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paddyo
Aug 3, 2007

axeil posted:

So I finally got HOI 3 because it was on sale on Steam and what the hell am I doing? :stare:

There's so many drat screens and options. I tried playing as the USSR just like I did to learn how to play HOI 2 and I can't figure out what I should be doing. Should I be trying to move people into the Comintern? Should I build a bunch of IC like you're supposed to in HOI 2? Should I research tanks? Infantry?

Is there an instructional Let's Play or anything I can use to help me figure out how to play this game? I know it's not the most popular Paradox game but it looks really neat even if it's flawed and I'd like to avoid getting my rear end kicked by the Nazis on my first play-through while I bumble around like an idiot.

Try this tutorial series.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQ3D7qq61iw
It's a little dated, but all of the core concepts are the same, and they do a pretty professional job. I've just picked up HOI3 again after being scared away the first time. I strongly encourage you to pick up the Complete version and the latest expansion. It really is a brand new game. All of the glaring flaws have been eliminated, and new features give it a lot of depth that OCD freaks like me really appreciate. There is still a ton of micromanagement for the majors unless you are willing to trust the AI with your pretty panzers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paddyo
Aug 3, 2007

orphean posted:

Why is the number of provinces a bad thing? How else would you model rapid blitzkrieg envelopments in the eastern front? I mean the classic answer is 'use a hex map'. I guess I just equate the individual provinces more as hexes and less as little unique diamonds to worry over.

I find HOI3 fun but I also don't use theater level AI for anything. To each their own I guess :v:

Same with me. I'll assign theater AI to man the Atlantic Wall and Norway, but I actually really like micromanaging Barbarossa-style operations. When part of the front is stabilized I can then assign a simple goal (take Leningrad) at army group level and concentrate on more critical areas. HOI3 gives you a lot more freedom on the strategic/tactical levels, and that's exactly where I think the focus needs to be on a WWII simulation. There are still a lot of AI quirks and stuff that need to be ironed out, but the game has improved by leaps and bounds with each expansion and I think it's just a matter of adding polish at this point.

• Locked thread