Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tom bob-ombadil
Jan 1, 2012

Hunter Noventa posted:

Well, unless you have the Night Rune. Or supposedly the Twilight and Dawn Runes. But yeah, some Ture Runes you really don't want to gently caress with.

According to lore, the first queen of Falena appeared wearing the Dawn, Twilight, and Sun runes and she did not kill the entire kingdom. Presumably, if you have all three of them you can manage not to go absolutely nuclear by maintaining some sort of self balance.

The other five dogs are obviously other knights from Pesmerga's kingdom. He tried to get help and the Beast Rune's curse spread.

tom bob-ombadil fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Jan 8, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Lvl 62, +5 meadow defense

dragon_pamcake posted:

According to lore, first queen of Falena appeared wearing the Dawn, Twilight, and Sun runes and she did not kill the entire kingdom. Presumably, if you have all three of them you can manage not to go absolutely nuclear by maintaining some sort of self balance.

More or less spelled ad the end of the game : the three Runes have to be kept togheter to be used safely, in fact after the war both Dawn and Twilight are kept with the Sun Rune in the Sealed Room, easily accessible in case of emergency. And, considering Godwins were able to unleash the Rune's power without inserting it on someone, maybe if the three runes are there and the queen gives the order, it could be possible that Falena has now the equivalent of a GDI Ion Cannon.

tom bob-ombadil
Jan 1, 2012

Guy Fawkes posted:

More or less spelled ad the end of the game : the three Runes have to be kept togheter to be used safely, in fact after the war both Dawn and Twilight are kept with the Sun Rune in the Sealed Room, easily accessible in case of emergency. And, considering Godwins were able to unleash the Rune's power without inserting it on someone, maybe if the three runes are there and the queen gives the order, it could be possible that Falena has now the equivalent of a GDI Ion Cannon.

Cathari's epilogue box in V makes a lot more sense to me now. She's telling Harmonia, "Don't even think about it" because Falena has their tactical nuke functioning properly for the first time in who knows how long. Previously, I assumed she was just lying to keep Harmonia out of Falena because she loved Lucretia :swoon:so much.

EDIT: I am so happy to be able to talk about Suikoden with someone other than my sister. :3:

tom bob-ombadil fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Jan 8, 2017

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

I by far consider Suikoden 5 the absolute pinnacle of the series. And I played both 1 and 3 before it, in fact I rather disliked 3 I think I finished each of the characters first chapters and took it back to gamestop because I was an idiot kid that actually sold my games to them. It took me like a year after beating 5 to realize they were the same series and give it another chance. I'll never understand people complaining about the slow start in 5, thats a staple of literally all the best games, gotta start slow and actually build the story before you can tell a wonderful story. The only flaw in the slow start is that introduces you to all these great characters like Belcoot who are optional recruits and make you cry over not getting them, I only had like 66 stars at the end a decade ago. Once this gets archived I think I'm gonna actually read this and replay 3, just like I did when I found the 4 and 5 lps 3 years ago now, thanks Vilk, I didnt have to actually finish 4 because of you.
Honestly as much as I love multigame stories, Suikoden 1-3 are a bit a too loosely connected to really do it right so its not really a plus, I'd be totally satisfied if they just filled out the true rune list in unrelated stories.

I also really liked Tierkries, I mean the plots stupid but we still got a cool setting and great characters out of it. Pretty sad the LP died that fast. I'd match it with 1 in terms of quality.

silversatyr
Jul 29, 2014

Go on an adventure ordained by fate?
-->Okay! I'll grab my stuff!

-->Eh.
You'd probably enjoy Suikoden II then, since V is basically the company trying to 'do it like 2'. It and V are the best of the series. 3 is interesting in it's own way and has a lot of lovable characters, 1 sets up the whole series and though it has issues, links quite a bit to the ones that came after (it and 2 are very connected).

I'd like to see someone do the Gaiden's one of these days. They give some extra connection from 2 to 3, as well as showing more of the story of 2, but through the eyes of someone outside of the main storyline.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

I've beaten 1,2,5,T, I honestly think 5 is just better than 2 in every single way, even without the overwhelming ps2 over ps1 superiority in terms of telling a story, but that last part could be bias. I do think the cute connections between them are nice, but when I realized my cute fish raising girl was murdered I cried. Also funny story my dog jumped through the cords the moment I finished the credits on 2, and wiped my hardrive.

Basically 5>>>>>(awhile)>2>3>>>>>>1=T>>(eternity)>>4.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013
I know we've been hating on Konami lately, but really can you blame them for passing up on games like suikoden to create art like this?

jaclynhyde
May 28, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
There was an awesome Suikoden III cosplay group at Magfest this year:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

jaclynhyde posted:

Man I'm terrible with names. So there's Geddoe, Hugo, Thomas, Chris, Viki(?) and Sasarai (?)

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Looks like

Back row: Sasarai, Geddoe, Hugo, Chris (armor), Chris (civilian)
Front row: Sarah, Luc, Leknaat, Thomas

That's really great costume design.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.

jaclynhyde posted:

Where's Luc's true rune? Sorry, as a group I'm going to have to fail the lot of them. (But seriously that's pretty cool poo poo)

CVE
Jan 27, 2012

silversatyr posted:

You'd probably enjoy Suikoden II then, since V is basically the company trying to 'do it like 2'. It and V are the best of the series. 3 is interesting in it's own way and has a lot of lovable characters, 1 sets up the whole series and though it has issues, links quite a bit to the ones that came after (it and 2 are very connected).

I'd like to see someone do the Gaiden's one of these days. They give some extra connection from 2 to 3, as well as showing more of the story of 2, but through the eyes of someone outside of the main storyline.

There are complete fanpatches out for both Suikogaiden Vol. 1 and 2 so you can go hog wild with them. Doubt we ever get a proper release of them but the translation from what I remembered was rock solid.

silversatyr
Jul 29, 2014

Go on an adventure ordained by fate?
-->Okay! I'll grab my stuff!

-->Eh.

CVE posted:

There are complete fanpatches out for both Suikogaiden Vol. 1 and 2 so you can go hog wild with them. Doubt we ever get a proper release of them but the translation from what I remembered was rock solid.

Oh, I'm already halfway through streaming them (well, finished the first, halfway through the second - they're not long games). I'm gonna restream them after I do 3, but I'd like to see others' takes on the games. I've not found many/any good LPs of them.

UmbreonMessiah
Nov 1, 2011

~Hey, I'm grump!~
I'm...yeah, I'm just a grump.

Bufuman posted:

Where's Luc's true rune? Sorry, as a group I'm going to have to fail the lot of them. (But seriously that's pretty cool poo poo)

Have you not been watching the LP? :colbert:

dalthorn
Apr 23, 2016

Well I am a few years late in discovering this LP but from what I have read so far I want to say that it is a job very well done.

Oh and to jump on the Suikoden IV is meh/crap bandwagon I would add that one of my big issues with the game that hasn't been mentioned was that the previous games spell effects ramped up more and more until you get to Suikoden III where it's a god rammed orgy of colors, explosions, and dragons; then you get to Suikoden IV and even the most powerful spells in the game amount to little more than a wet fart.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Plus there was other stuff like the portaits art going back to the weird Suikoden 1 art style that honestly never looked that great in the first game. Then stuff like only four party members now, which is still a decent number, but when you are a series that prides itself on the number of party members you can use, having the option to only pick three compared to five is a pain. It feels like how the original Suikoden was at times when your party was Tir, Gremio/Flik, and Vikor along with three others.

The idea of a ship castle was cool on paper, but what the game gave us was very dull, with it moving super slow...and the game giving you enemies to fight on it from the start of the game...in almost every single spot of water on the map.

dalthorn
Apr 23, 2016

Some things I did like about Suikoden IV though:

The True Rune of Punishment - It's the first True Rune since the Soul Eater that the main character has which has a dark side to it, a dark side that was, for the most part, well played out through the game with you having no choice but to use the Rune lest you or your army die. The Rune is essentially a sentient parasite jumping from host to host some how manipulating events to force the host into using the power and drain their life force each time until they inevitably die; only one person we know of in the history of the Rune until the game was able to exploit that to end the cycle for a time.

While the True Elemental Runes were extremely powerful they had nothing malevolent about them asides from the usual effects of being a host. Arguably the same could be said about the Bright Shield and Black Sword runes as they supposedly force their hosts into conflict against each other until one wins over the other, but at the same time was Jowy influenced by the rune or did he use it as an excuse to try and change Highland from within? Or did Jowy upon hearing the tale of the two runes think he had no choice but to fight against his best friend with no outside influence? Finally, probably more due to graphics and previous limitations of the earlier games, the True Rune of Punishment is the first time we get to see how absolutely devastating a True Rune can be. The previous games had either flashes of light or scaled down effects but with the Trune Rune of Punishment you see god damned orbital bombardment lasers field by the pain, suffering, and scream destroying fleets at a time.

Jeane is finally playable.

Ted is back, and though he has a minor part, he is a loving beast with the Soul Eater.

Some of the characters I liked a lot and was glad to see them continue on in Suikoden Tactics.

I was also a big fan of Elenor's crotchety, drunken, "gently caress, not this poo poo again...god damned kids" attitude to the war.

Graham Cray and Troy - Graham is a monster and Troy is a well done example of "My country right or wrong".

dalthorn fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Feb 2, 2017

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins

dalthorn posted:

Ted is back, and though he has a minor part, he is a loving beast with the Soul Eater.

It bothers me that he only got a second chance in the game I have the least interest of replaying, and barely any development as it was anyway.

Also, it's the only game that had cat kobolds.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Tin Can Hit Man posted:

It bothers me that he only got a second chance in the game I have the least interest of replaying, and barely any development as it was anyway.

Also, it's the only game that had cat kobolds.

The Cat Kobolds only existed for the pun of NeKobolds.
I mean I'm glad that they existed because they were fun characters in an ocean of poo poo and you gotta take what you can get.

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins

That makes it so much better.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
jesus christ I never got that

hanales
Nov 3, 2013
I still don't get it can someone explain? Is it more than just "not kobolds"?

ShallowKnave
Sep 9, 2011
Fun Shoe
"Neko" is Japanese for cat.

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins
There's a lot of races in the series that never get expanded upon, which is a shame. Elves and dwarves played a(granted, very cliche) part in the original story and took a backseat after that, with only a character here or there representing them turning up in your army ever since. There've been mermaids and unicorns and griffins and giant octopuses and little flying squirrel dudes who barely got so much as a line or two of dialogue or exposition. Hell, the back and forth between two specific vampires has gotten more backstory than an entire kingdom of dragon riders has.

And yeah, I get that it's a lot of stuff to follow over the course of five games. But you'd think there'd be room in your 108 star army for more than a couple token elves or kobolds per game.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

ShallowKnave posted:

"Neko" is Japanese for cat.

I've learned something today thank you.

dalthorn
Apr 23, 2016

Heh, good news y'all.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2017/02/24/the-drop-new-playstation-games-for-2282017/

Suikoden IV is coming to PSN next week.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
What's the good news?

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Poque posted:

What's the good news?

Konami has released something that isn't pachinko is pretty good news.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.

FeyerbrandX posted:

Konami has released something that isn't pachinko is pretty good news.

So you consider the abomination that is the next Metal Gear game to be "good news"? :v:

hanales
Nov 3, 2013
I know I'm the odd man out but it's still exciting to me. Will be even better if they include the speedup and no random battle cheats like in the FF7 release.

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine
Well...the original PS2 version actually has speedup, as part of New Game Plus.

Without the random battles however, the game would be like...4 hours long.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.

Shiki Dan posted:

Well...the original PS2 version actually has speedup, as part of New Game Plus.

Without the random battles however, the game would be like...4 hours long.

I suggest a compromise: have an option to turn off random battles on the ocean.

That'll increase the game time to 5 hours!

NameHurtBrain
Jan 17, 2015
The best part of this news is the progress to releasing Suikoden Tactics and V on PSN eventually. IV is just part of the progression.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

yokaiy posted:

Just kidding.

See you next time!
You were saying?

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

I started that replay I mentioned early so Ive been reading the entire thread. Its pretty good, I especially enjoyed the Character design stuff, Yokaiy. Now to find out what caused this to take 4 years.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

MythosDragon posted:

I started that replay I mentioned early so Ive been reading the entire thread. Its pretty good, I especially enjoyed the Character design stuff, Yokaiy. Now to find out what caused this to take 4 years.

Can't rush perfection.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

So what's the remaining content, which we'll never see?

dalthorn
Apr 23, 2016

Xander77 posted:

So what's the remaining content, which we'll never see?

There are slight differences to the dialogue prior to fighting Luc depending on who the flame chanlpion is and if they use their original group of characters, asides from that you get to see one of the most interesting things which is the sixth character perspective of Luc. You will see his side of the story which gives you a better understanding of his motivations and that of his entourage, fight as him in all the fights your characters had with him, and see what happens to both Luc and Sara after the final battle. The choices you made in the game will cause variations in the scenes for example they'll notice the presence of an eavesdropper if you linger to listen to them in the bug town.

dalthorn fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Jun 4, 2017

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

dalthorn posted:

There are slight differences to the dialogue prior to fighting Luc depending on who the flame chanlpion is and if they use their original group of characters, asides from that you get to see one of the most interesting things which is the sixth character perspective of Luc. You will see his side of the story which gives you a better understanding of his motivations and that of his entourage, fight as him in all the fights your characters had with him, and see what happens to both Luc and Sara after the final battle. The choices you made in the game will cause variations in the scenes for example they'll notice the presence of an eavesdropper if you linger to listen to them in the bug town.

It's really really good IMO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unoriginal One
Aug 5, 2008
Also a proper demonstration of Song of Madness; where Jaun, Emily, and Nei will demonstrate what happens to a boss when you punch the damage cap multiple times a turn.

• Locked thread