Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
answersyouseek
Aug 19, 2003

No Moderation
Yeah it's his last tour until he gets a bunch of money thrown at him again. This is like his 2nd or 3rd "last" tour so I wouldn't count on that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Read Menace
Apr 4, 2003

answersyouseek posted:

Yeah it's his last tour until he gets a bunch of money thrown at him again. This is like his 2nd or 3rd "last" tour so I wouldn't count on that.

He's already said this will not be his "last" tour.

He's added a San Diego show now so I will definitely be furiously pressing F5 until I get mine bought!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

The Read Menace posted:

He's already said this will not be his "last" tour.

He's added a San Diego show now so I will definitely be furiously pressing F5 until I get mine bought!

Motherfucker he's playing Oregon on my birthday. Well poo poo I guess I have to go to that one too. Should have known he'd add West Coast dates.

Probably see the San Diego show too because gently caress it.

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:
Hey Jeff, I know you like New Zealand music, so why don't you take your tour over there, and seeing as you have come all that way, it would be a simple thing to hop across to Australia, right? Pretty please?

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

In an interstellar burst I'm back to save the universe!
In the early 2000's you could barely find a thread in this forum where NMH (more so ITAOTS) wasn't name dropped in some fashion. The album is pretty good but I don't get the reverence for it. It is nice that folks who really dig it are getting a second chance to see him though.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Auxiliary Easel posted:

I was at Lawrence last night, too. (Balcony-- I am far too short to ever see poo poo at gen admission shows.) I totally cried during Two-Headed Boy Pt. 2, and the four hour drive was absolutely worth it. How does someone who is dousing himself with chlorosceptic between every song hold notes for that long? Jesus. My husband, who has always hated NMH and only went with me because he is the best husband ever, was also impressed by the show.

I somehow hadn't heard about this being his last tour ever. I'm a little heart-broken.

I could smell that poo poo he was spraying in his mouth from ten feet away. That must taste seriously strong.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

GOOCHY posted:

The album is pretty good but I don't get the reverence for it.

When I was in high school, I could scribble every single word of The Queen is Dead into a spiral notebook and call it homework for class. I hit college and Siamese Dream exploded my brain.

Maybe it's a "right time, right place" situation.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
We're in the aeroport waiting on the aeroplane back home. Have not been to sleep yet.

RE: Seeing Jeff would not be psychedelic - that's all subjective I guess. I haven't actually done LSD in years, it's never around anymore. But when I got into it in the 90s, it was always a "serious" drug. Like, I'd take acid and read a book or talk to people or just walk around with people looking at things. And then sometimes I'd take acid and listen to depressing music and be very introspective. So for me, well for all of us, it was a good idea.

We were pretty out there when he started. Didn't listen to the Tall Firs. Opened with "Oh Comely", which is good because it got it out of the way.

Then he did King of Carrot Flowers 1-3 right into Gardenhead, which flooded me with memories and had me frozen in place as my mind went back in time 14 years. Just amazing.

Came back to myself and blissed out for a bit being cliche with my wife. One of us was going a bit nuts, dancing and all.

And then he did Song Against Sex. Got completely lost in there. And then Naomi and I was singing along full volume with that one. I felt amazing. Then into Ghost. Which was even more amazing. Everyone was hand drumming.

Encore was Two Headed pt 2, just perfect. Ended up with my eyes leaking a bit. It was surreal how quiet everyone was as they left the venue. Until we got outside, where everyone was being too big and loud. Walked for an hour or so just looking at poo poo, didn't really talk. Caught a cab home and discussed the show all night.

Now I'm in an airport, and that is not a cool place after so much sleep deprivation. But it was so worth it. Definitely going to try and catch West Coast shows.

thevoiceofdog
Jul 19, 2009

Terminally ambivalent.

precision posted:

trip report

This sounds amazing. I haven't really listened to Mangum in years but I wanna see this so badly. Why is he not playing in Philly/Jersey/Brooklyn?!

On a side note, a couple of years ago I saw Julian Koster perform in a crowded living room in Rochester. It was in a house down the street from the Bug Jar, where the venue's show organizer guy lived. It was so crowded that when I first arrived I ended up listening to the music on the stairs leading down into the basement. It was the most eerily intimate performance I've ever seen, and the guy has such a ridiculous breadth of musical talent. It wasn't just music either--he'd tell stories, bring the crowd out into the backyard and play games in the snow with this approach of childlike wonderment to everything he does. I spoke to him for a bit after the crowd cleared out, super nice guy, won't forget that night ever.

Nexein
May 2, 2012

"Donuts of
Champions"

I only hope that statement stands up; by the time I found out he was going to be in CT, Tickets were already sold out. :ohdear:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Just a heads-up, the date my fiancee and I had for this Saturday at the State Theatre in Portland has been moved to Feb 17th (Sunday... bleh).

Cold Milk Bottle
Nov 19, 2012
Saw him in Orlando on the 26th. My friends and I were joking about what it was going to be like. I was expecting to feel alienated by him, based off of his feelings towards his fame. I was totally wrong; the concert was dope and he was incredibly happy to be up there performing and his audience felt similarly. It was such a joyous thing to be proven wrong about. One of my favorite concerts I've been to.

ALTHOUGH, gently caress everyone at the venue for not shutting up when the Tall Firs was on. They seemed like totally nice guys but I couldn't hear them at all.

Brown Paper Bag
Nov 3, 2012

Seconding the call for Jeff to come to Australia.

I always felt that Scott Spillane's band The Gerbils were under-appreciated; their two albums contained some great songs:

Crayon Box: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMMJajnGAXg
Glue: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSw71qih2tw
Grin: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIrEW_Nvl4s
Are you Underwater?: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RiG5QD7ON_I
Lucky Girl: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwHQTYmoqxM
The White Sky: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEAkCNR5UYE

kwarn
Mar 11, 2006

Saw the show at Mass MoCA and met Jeff and Julian after the show. They were both incredibly kind and gracious- it was a transcendent experience all in all!

Salt Water Solution
Dec 28, 2005

ROCK AND ROLL IS FULL OF BAD WOOLS
Now then...
http://pitchfork.com/news/47783-neutral-milk-hotel-reunite-for-tour/

quote:

Jeff Mangum has teased us with solo shows for long enough. Neutral Milk Hotel are actually, no-bullshit reuniting and heading out on tour in 2013-- 15 years after their last shows together. Only a handful have been announced so far, but apparently there is "more to come," according to the NMH website. Dates below.

Update: We have confirmed that this touring lineup will consist of Mangum, Scott Spillane, Julian Koster, and Jeremy Barnes, the lineup that came together following the release of On Avery Island in 1996.

Following the release of 1998's In the Aeroplane Over the Sea and its subsequent support tour, Neutral Milk Hotel went on hiatus. Aside from a 2001 live album, a 2002 album of Bulgarian music, and a handful of live appearances, Jeff Mangum became indie rock's resident recluse for over a decade.

After playing a couple shows in 2010, Mangum fully resurfaced in 2011 and 2012 with several solo tours, a set for Occupy Wall Street, festival appearances, and a Neutral Milk Hotel box set.

A portion of the proceeds from ticket sales will go to the charity Children of the Blue Sky.

The tour announcement was accompanied by this crazy note on the NMH website:

and of water course womb rume is a wandering the welkin woman whose fune caul is all umbilical cord code that comes equipped with read volve vît curtains that čun seel my văl én tich radio reason in remembrance of mademoiselle gabrielle and her wone tym pad lock of burd language as it borders on twin tolk the wolk king wall of woolpack pigeons pointing to the fly blind readers riddle and his rian boh

Check out archival live video of Neutral Milk Hotel below the dates. Get excited.

Neutral Milk Hotel:

10-22 Athens, GA - 40 Watt Club *
10-23 Athens, GA - 40 Watt Club #
10-25 Asheville, NC - Thomas Wolfe Auditorium #!
11-28 Taipei, Taiwan - Hostess Club Festival
12-01 Tokyo, Japan - Hostess Club Festival

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Searched the forums for this thread just to post that. This actually has me more intrigued than the acoustic thing he did. That was pretty OK for what it was, but honestly I prefer the noise and chaos to the full band sound than just him and an acoustic guitar playing songs that the entire loving auditorium new by heart anyway.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

Wow, what a tour!

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
If they announce UK dates I am definitely going no matter what. I will bankrupt myself if I have to

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

I don't wanna see him in Seattle. I feel the crowd would be awful. I think maybe it would have been okay to see "Jeff Mangum" but not Neutral Milk Hotel. I'm going to have to go to some random show in the midwest to escape people who watch the show through their iPhone screen and who freely fart in a big crowd cause you can't pin-point the source.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?

WASDF posted:

I'm going to have to go to some random show in the midwest to escape people who watch the show through their iPhone screen and who freely fart in a big crowd cause you can't pin-point the source.
I get the feeling that's going to happen no matter where you are.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
The Asheville show has him and Daniel Johnston I wanna go to that so bad but there's no news on ticket sales yet.

The Read Menace
Apr 4, 2003

I have a feeling more dates will be added. I hope.

Anyway, I was kind of mad when I saw Jeff play last month. All these idiots in the crowd were yelling poo poo out like it was a Whitesnake concert. Impregnate me Jeff!!! I worship you!!! I can't imagine that's what he'd like to hear. Its like people are so excited to see him they just yell out the craziest poo poo.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

I'm sure he's heard "Stain my mountain tops, Jeff!! Wooooooooh!!" a number of times through out his career.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Here's hoping he comes to LA so I can fart in the crowd. iphones.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

Cpt. Spring Types posted:

I get the feeling that's going to happen no matter where you are.

I just don't want it happening near me.

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Here's hoping he comes to LA so I can fart in the crowd. iphones.

yeah, keep it on the coast.

Brown Paper Bag
Nov 3, 2012

Here's hoping a lot more dates are announced...

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Brown Paper Bag posted:

Here's hoping a lot more dates are announced...

I am getting tickets that are way more than I should pay to see NMH at that Asheville festival just because it's the only date I could possibly get to at the moment. Hopefully more dates are announced, but if I am forced to go to Asheville so be it.

jennyinstereo
Jan 17, 2007

[rocking faces since the 80s]
I'd love to go see them at the 40 Watt club. So envious of any of you goons who get to go. That being said, I'm lucky enough to have seen him twice in the last 2 years. I hope he comes back to Montreal :allears:

marquis27
Nov 9, 2003
beware the marquis
Quick snippet from Pitchfork:

quote:

Any Neutral Milk Hotel diehards worried they'll be edged out of tickets to the small handful of dates announced for the reunion tour, fret not. Pollstar has done an interview with long-time NMH booking agent Jim Romeo of Ground Control Touring, who says there's a lot more to come, including an international tour in 2014.

"People should know that they shouldn't get discouraged if they don't get tickets to these few shows," he said. "There will be some more fall shows announced soon and a much longer and fuller tour planned for 2014 that will span the globe."

This marks the first time Neutral Milk Hotel have done anything as a band since the late 1990s. Following the release of 1998's In the Aeroplane Over the Sea and a tour, Neutral Milk Hotel went on hiatus. Jeff Mangum re-emerged for solo shows starting in 2010.

mcjazzaburger
Feb 18, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I've just booked a return flight to Georgia from London, UK to see one (hopefully both) of the Athens shows. It's as close as I'll ever get to a pilgrimage!

juniperjones
Apr 27, 2012
I love NMH, but I can't see myself seeing them live. I think it'd be too weird.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

don't see a problem with that but you could see a much weirder show than NMH.

jennyinstereo
Jan 17, 2007

juniperjones posted:

I love NMH, but I can't see myself seeing them live. I think it'd be too weird.

Why would it be too weird?

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

cause he loves jesus christ and melting dogs and flesh-licking ladies

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

WASDF posted:

cause he loves jesus christ and melting dogs and flesh-licking ladies

Don't forget ejaculating on mountains! :haw:

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

jennyinstereo posted:

Why would it be too weird?

I guess if you've listened to him for a long time, suddenly seeing the guy singing in person would be kinda bizarre.

jennyinstereo
Jan 17, 2007

appropriatemetaphor posted:

I guess if you've listened to him for a long time, suddenly seeing the guy singing in person would be kinda bizarre.

I first heard NMH ten years ago and have not found a band since that has moved me the way NMH does. They are my all time most loved, most cherished, most invested-in, most listened to band. I'll admit, it was surreal seeing him perform in my old neighbourhood in my home town back in 2011. Hearing other people sing along to his words and seeing the passion spill out of them the same way it spilled out of me while listening to NMH in my bedroom by myself was odd because for 8 years, it felt like I was the only one living in that world. It felt like NMH was MY band. The obscure indie band that all my friends thought were garbage because they didn't sound like anything on the radio. I mean, I get it. But believe me, it's worth it. I've seen him twice live and I would regret it so much if I had missed out on the opportunity.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The show I saw was definitely pretty fuckin' weird since I had spent 15-16 years building it up in my head. I could go to the Asheville show for free (know the guy who books in that area), except for the cost of two plane tickets, which is... a little excessive if I can just wait until the "real" tour. Honestly I wouldn't have flown us to the Texas show if it hadn't doubled as a visit to old friends.

It's definitely cool that it'll be a full band experience, I want to hear that fuzzy guitar.

Khagan
Aug 8, 2012

Words cannot describe just how terrible Vietnamese are.
I hope they do sideshows in Sydney, but i'll admit the Harvest festival lineup is tempting.

http://harvestfestival.com.au/lineup

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

I'm going to be seeing them in Tokyo. I don't suppose anyone else in the thread is living in Japan and planning to go to the show? I doubt I can convince any of my friends here to go.

• Locked thread