Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
seniorservice
Jun 18, 2004

Wubba Lubba Dub Dub!

The Read Menace posted:

I have a feeling more dates will be added. I hope.

Anyway, I was kind of mad when I saw Jeff play last month. All these idiots in the crowd were yelling poo poo out like it was a Whitesnake concert. Impregnate me Jeff!!! I worship you!!! I can't imagine that's what he'd like to hear. Its like people are so excited to see him they just yell out the craziest poo poo.

Were you at the Spreckels show too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Read Menace
Apr 4, 2003

seniorservice posted:

Were you at the Spreckels show too?

Yes. The guy causes Beatlemania!

IllIllIll
Feb 17, 2012
So I just started listening to NMH a week ago or so. I'd always heard the name of the band mentioned in discussions of indie music, but the name just sounded so pretentious, and I knew I was pretty "late to the party" so I never listened. Then I gave it a shot and... wow. Literally cannot get it out of my head. I can kinda see why people would go crazy at his shows, the music already has a special place in my heart and I don't even have a dozen years of nostalgia built up around it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

IllIllIll posted:

So I just started listening to NMH a week ago or so. I'd always heard the name of the band mentioned in discussions of indie music, but the name just sounded so pretentious

Don't worry, I felt this way all the way back in 1997, I had a friend who wouldn't shut up about them and I hated the name so much I dodged them until I started dating a girl who literally forced me to listen.

Even then, I hated them at first, for about a week.

Flotzilla
May 3, 2003
Pride of the Peaches
How has nobody mentioned the Neutral Milk Hotel Reunion Winterstravaganza Tourpaloozathon dates yet? Is there a better place to discuss this that I'm not seeing?

I actually came here hoping to find pre-sale information. It seems like most (if not all) dates go on sale Friday at either 10am or noon. Apparently there's a pre-sale for the Dallas show that is tomorrow at 10am... I'm thinking most of the other dates will have a similar pre-sale. Any goons know how to get in on that? I can't find any details at all.

Neutral Milk Hotel Announce Winter Tour

quote:

10-11 Baltimore, MD - 2640 Space at St. John's Church *
10-12 Richmond, VA - The National *
10-14 Covington, KY - Madison Theater *
10-15 Urbana, IL - The Canopy Club *
10-16 Columbia, MO - The Blue Note *
10-18 Memphis, TN - Minglewood Hall *
10-19 Chattanooga, TN - Track 29 *
10-20 Birmingham, AL - Iron City *
10-22 Athens, GA - 40 Watt Club *
10-23 Athens, GA - 40 Watt Club #
10-24 Athens, GA - 40 Watt Club %
10-25 Asheville, NC - Thomas Wolfe Auditorium (Mountain Oasis Festival) #!
10-26 Atlanta, GA - The Tabernacle #
10-27 Atlanta, GA - The Tabernacle *@
11-10 Melbourne, Australia - Harvest
11-16 Sydney, Australia - Harvest
11-17 Brisbane, Australia - Harvest
11-20 Dunedin, New Zealand - Sammy's
11-22 Wellington, New Zealand - James Cabaret
11-23 Auckland, New Zealand - The Kings Arms Tavern
11-24 Auckland, New Zealand - The Kings Arms Tavern
11-28 Taipei, Taiwan - Hostess Club Taipei
12-01 Tokyo, Japan - Hostess Club Weekender
01-16 Boston, MA - Orpheum Theatre
01-17 Boston, MA - Orpheum Theatre
01-18 Montreal, Quebec - Olympia
01-19 Toronto, Ontario - Kool Haus
01-20 Toronto, Ontario - Kool Haus
01-22 Port Chester, NY - The Capitol Theatre
01-23 Brooklyn, NY - BAM Howard Gilman Opera House
01-24 Brooklyn, NY - BAM Howard Gilman Opera House
01-25 Brooklyn, NY - BAM Howard Gilman Opera House
01-27 New York, NY - Webster Hall
01-28 New York, NY - Webster Hall
01-29 Upper Darby, PA - Tower Theatre
01-30 Philadelphia, PA - Union Transfer
01-31 Washington, DC - DAR Constitution Hall
02-01 Carrboro, NC - Cat's Cradle
02-02 Carrboro, NC - Cat's Cradle
02-04 Nashville, TN - Ryman Auditorium
02-05 St. Louis, MO - The Pageant
02-06 Chicago, IL - The Riviera Theatre
02-07 Chicago, IL - The Riviera Theatre
02-08 Madison, WI - Orpheum Theater
02-10 Minneapolis, MN - First Avenue
02-11 Minneapolis, MN - First Avenue
02-13 Kansas City, MO - Uptown Theatre
02-14 Tulsa, OK - Cain's Ballroom
02-15 Dallas, TX - Majestic Theatre
02-17 Austin, TX - ACL Live at the Moody Theater
02-18 Austin, TX - ACL Live at the Moody Theater
02-19 Houston, TX - Warehouse Live
02-20 New Orleans, LA - Civic Theatre
05-29-31 Barcelona, Spain - Primavera Sound Festival
06-05-07 Porto, Portugal - Optimus Primavera Sound Festival

* with Elf Power
# with Half Japanese
% with Circulatory System
! with Daniel Johnston
@ with Robert Schneider

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Oh Goddamn I am seriously tempted to fly GA and see all three of those 40 Watt Club shows just for the 3 different openers.

jennyinstereo
Jan 17, 2007

[rocking faces since the 80s]

Flotzilla posted:

How has nobody mentioned the Neutral Milk Hotel Reunion Winterstravaganza Tourpaloozathon dates yet? Is there a better place to discuss this that I'm not seeing?

I actually came here hoping to find pre-sale information. It seems like most (if not all) dates go on sale Friday at either 10am or noon. Apparently there's a pre-sale for the Dallas show that is tomorrow at 10am... I'm thinking most of the other dates will have a similar pre-sale. Any goons know how to get in on that? I can't find any details at all.

Neutral Milk Hotel Announce Winter Tour

Holy shiiiiiiiiit. I am SO happy right now. I have seen Jeff twice but never the full band... January 18 is going to be the best day of my life!!!!!!! :swoon:

interpunct
Aug 2, 2006

Bad girls think that you're being a boob punch

Flotzilla posted:

http://spune.com/show/neutral-milk-hotel/

That page says it's a Crowdsurge presale at 10 a.m. No password will be required and you won't have to deal with the likes of Ticketmaster scalper bots, thankfully.

From my experience with these sorts of presales, when 10 a.m. hits at your local time, the ticket links to the show will go live on the band's tour page (http://www.walkingwallofwords.com/tour.html). Provided you're there when it first starts, you shouldn't have much trouble securing tickets. Tickets usually don't disappear all at once because a lot of the time people have no idea what site to go when the fan presale starts. Apologies in advance if the presale link is elsewhere, but every Crowdsurge presale I've dealt with had their ticket links on the band's website tour page.

I'll personally be trying to go to at least one of the Brooklyn shows. I saw Jeff Mangum play solo at BAM from the front row and it was a magical experience. Best of luck to everyone with the presale.

interpunct fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jul 31, 2013

Seventyfour
Apr 6, 2009

Beneath the Pavement
The Beach
So excited about the austin shows! I'm considering going both nights. Anyone.know if the set list varies much night to night? (I know it couldn't change too much)

Seventyfour fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Aug 1, 2013

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

What amazing news. I coincidentally just started getting back into NMH after a few year hiatus. I got WAY into ITAOTS about 10 years ago, and then slowly transitioned to On Avery Island, which is now my preferred album. I hope they play You've Passed live, that would loving kill.

Also, the version of Engine from Jittery's is sooo good.

interpunct
Aug 2, 2006

Bad girls think that you're being a boob punch

Here's the presale link. Click the "buy tickets" button for the appropriate show when they go on sale at 10 a.m. local time:

http://www.crowdsurge.com/Neutral-Milk-Hotel/index-tour.html

Edit:
Create an account at Crowdsurge.com in advance and save yourself a minute or so at checkout.

interpunct fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Aug 1, 2013

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

A New Orleans show! gently caress yeah!

Let's hope it doesn't sell out immediately :shepicide:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

A New Orleans show! gently caress yeah!

Let's hope it doesn't sell out immediately :shepicide:

Dude you know it will. Good luck though. That's one of the shows I'm thinking of attending, since I have a friend there who's due for a visit.

I'm starting to realize just how much I travel to see shows with old friends. Lot of frequent flier miles!

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Thanks for that link. Was able to get in on some Cat's Cradle tickets for the Saturday show.

Flotzilla
May 3, 2003
Pride of the Peaches

interpunct posted:

Here's the presale link. Click the "buy tickets" button for the appropriate show when they go on sale at 10 a.m. local time:

http://www.crowdsurge.com/Neutral-Milk-Hotel/index-tour.html

Edit:
Create an account at Crowdsurge.com in advance and save yourself a minute or so at checkout.

Awesome thanks. I'll be sure to share it around after I buy mine.

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

As far as I can tell no presale tickets even went up for the D.C. show or they sold in microseconds. What horseshit :(

Flotzilla
May 3, 2003
Pride of the Peaches
I got 4 pit tickets for Dallas. :dukedog:

jennyinstereo
Jan 17, 2007

[rocking faces since the 80s]
Unggghhh yesssss

quote:

Order Confirmed!

Your order has been confirmed. A confirmation email will be sent to xxxxxx@gmail.com within 24 hours.

Neutral Milk Hotel Olympia de Montreal Saturday, January 18 2014 at 7:00 PM

2 General Admission Standing 2 x CA$36.00 2 x CA$6.40 CA$84.80

So so so so happy right now :toot:

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Why nothing in LA :psyduck: Or like the entire west coast.

Rush Hour Renegade
Jul 8, 2008

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Why nothing in LA :psyduck: Or like the entire west coast.

They will most likely be playing Coachella next year so I would expect all West Coast dates to be around that time.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Well that was awesome. I got tickets for myself in the presale yesterday, but my sister-in-law is out of country and asked me to get her and her husband a pair when they went on sale today. I got all the way through checkout with the tickets, and then it said there was an error but the order may have gone through and to wait 2 minutes for a confirmation email. Of course that didn't come and it was sold out by the time the 2 minutes passed.

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

Yesterday for the DC presale I had pretty solid seats, but for some reason went "eh, Ill give these up and see if I can do better!" and by then they were all sold out :(

Fortunately, today I was able to get worse-but-still-not-terrible seats! Yay!

Seventyfour
Apr 6, 2009

Beneath the Pavement
The Beach
Yea! 2 tickets for the Austin 2/17/14 show in the fancy seats (Mezzanine center, 4 rows back), 2 tickets for the 2/18/14 show on the floor (I figured that's how I would have seen them if I'd watched them play while I was in college). Thank you to this thread for giving me the heads up that one of my favorite bands, who are responsible for my favorite album ever (Aeroplane), were coming to play in my town! I saw Belle and Sebastian play at the same theater last month, and it is a great venue, great acoustics (and Belle and Sebastian played an awesome show, even if they didn't play a bunch of the old stuff that I loved).

Juttman
Apr 7, 2008

Saturated Fats
I didn't know about the presale, went to get tickets to the Union Transfer show, and it sold out, even though I was in to buy tickets at 9:59. I settled for so-so seats at the Tower Theater. Still super excited.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

Got my Madison tickets. Never, ever thought I would see them perform.

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

Got my D.C. tickets then ran to work. Anyone know how fast they sold out? It is so bizarre to think I just bought Neutral loving Milk loving Hotel tickets.

memy
Oct 15, 2011

by exmarx
Of course they come to New York literally the day after my school's winter break ends.

Got a ticket for each of the Boston shows, though. Road trip, gently caress yeah.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Rush Hour Renegade posted:

They will most likely be playing Coachella next year so I would expect all West Coast dates to be around that time.

Ohh yeah that makes sense. But still, so far away, in time.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I saw him in March last year and was really blown away by how good he was live, not to mention that he was actually playing live. I thought he'd just walk on and play the music before leaving, but he had a surprisingly good back and forth with the crowd. I was worried the music would suffer in some places because he had no backing band, but he sang the trumpets and other instruments and the audience took it up with him. He played Little Birds and Oh Comely back to back, my two favourite songs. He also has the biggest mouth I have ever seen.

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

Wachepti posted:

Got my D.C. tickets then ran to work. Anyone know how fast they sold out? It is so bizarre to think I just bought Neutral loving Milk loving Hotel tickets.

I was on my phone at 10 sharp, and I was able to get nosebleeds. The presale sold out in like 10 seconds, so I'm guessing the regular sale sold out in about 15.

lambeth
Aug 31, 2009
I don't usually post here, but I found out about the tour today and was able to snag tickets for the Nashville show. I'm so excited about this! If any of you are in/near the South, the Nashville show still has some tickets left for $45. I think the only other place in the South that has tickets left is in Asheville, but tickets are $100 or so.

doritto
May 12, 2013

Is anyone else in North Carolina going to the Cat's Cradle to see Neutral Milk Hotel? From what I understand the tickets for both slots sold out in no time at all, even at $35.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
After an incredibly frustrating hour (what kind of venue doesn't put the place where you can buy the tickets on their website, seriously) managed to get tickets to the Manchester show. In the Aeroplane became my favourite album six years ago and nothing has ever managed to top it. This is incredible

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

dsipal posted:

Is anyone else in North Carolina going to the Cat's Cradle to see Neutral Milk Hotel? From what I understand the tickets for both slots sold out in no time at all, even at $35.

Not surprising, since last I was in the area AC was pretty notorious about giving/selling tickets to employees and their friends. It's really lovely, though at the time I was hypocritically taking advantage of it by never paying to go to an AC show. He's also a really lovely person for many other reasons.

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

Too impatient to wait for the Minneapolis shows, I caught Neutral Milk Hotel in Columbia, Mo last night. They sound amazing live, go. I enjoyed the solo Jeff shows, but it was good hearing the songs with singing saws, horns, and electric guitars.

If you have the time, hang out and meet the band members. Both Julian Kloster and Scott Spilane are affable and easily approachable, Julian being one of the most gentle people you'll meet. Jeff will appear if you wait around long enough, just don't take his photo. He doesn't like it.

Bo Jackson
Jul 23, 2013

roffels posted:

Too impatient to wait for the Minneapolis shows, I caught Neutral Milk Hotel in Columbia, Mo last night. They sound amazing live, go. I enjoyed the solo Jeff shows, but it was good hearing the songs with singing saws, horns, and electric guitars.

If you have the time, hang out and meet the band members. Both Julian Kloster and Scott Spilane are affable and easily approachable, Julian being one of the most gentle people you'll meet. Jeff will appear if you wait around long enough, just don't take his photo. He doesn't like it.

I'm sure people surround him with iPhones anyway.

I've never been able to see NMH or a solo Jeff show before and I am super amped up to see him in Minneapolis. I've seen a lot of shows at First Avenue and it's definitely become one of my favorite concert venues. It's gonna be exciting to see him in a space where people can stand up and move around a lot.

To those of you who have seen him already: how have the audiences been? Do people get really into it, or are people kind of reserved?

Bo Jackson fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Oct 18, 2013

NicelyNice
Feb 13, 2004

citrus
Glad to hear the show is good. I have tickets to see them play with Okkervil and Sebadoh in Tokyo this November, pretty excited.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

dsipal posted:

I'll be there. Pretty pumped. Saw him solo at Memorial Hall on campus a few years back and it was great.

If anyone else is needing tickets, they are releasing a few at noon.

Cats Cradle posted:

At 12pm today, a small amount of tickets will become available for NEUTRAL MILK HOTEL's 2/1 and 2/2 shows. catscradle.com/events

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

NicelyNice posted:

Glad to hear the show is good. I have tickets to see them play with Okkervil and Sebadoh in Tokyo this November, pretty excited.

You motherfucker, that is one hell of a lineup. My God.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

Bo Jackson posted:

I'm sure people surround him with iPhones anyway.

I've never been able to see NMH or a solo Jeff show before and I am super amped up to see him in Minneapolis. I've seen a lot of shows at First Avenue and it's definitely become one of my favorite concert venues. It's gonna be exciting to see him in a space where people can stand up and move around a lot.

To those of you who have seen him already: how have the audiences been? Do people get really into it, or are people kind of reserved?

Lots of dancing. Girls like saying "wooooooooooo" a lot. More energy from the crowd than I would have expected. Also, lots of people sing along.

• Locked thread