Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!
I know there are a few Aussie Elephant 6 fans floating around. Neutral Milk Hotel are still doing their Australian tour despite Harvest being cancelled, and you can buy tickets for the Sydney Enmore gig here: http://www.enmoretheatre.com.au/eve...tral-milk-hotel
The rest of the Aussie dates are on the website and have links to where you can buy tickets: http://walkingwallofwords.com/tour.html

I bought mine like a week ago but I just remembered that most fans probably aren't on their mailing list, so if you want to see NMH before Mangum has another breakdown and gives up singing in the band for another decade do it now, and do it screechily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I bought tickets to the Brisbane show! Honestly surprised I could get them, I expected them to sell out pretty quickly. Super psyched.

snakeater
May 17, 2008

A paranoiac in reverse.
I've ended up with five tickets for NMH in London. The first date sold out so quickly they added two new ones over the next few days due to demand. Ended up getting two bad seats, one ok one and two standing.

Pretty pumped, was gutted I missed Jeff at Union.

3dou
Jun 17, 2013

The best kind of sex is VHS.
Dang. I wasn't able to see him last time because of time constraints (nearest gig was over 2 hours away), and now he isn't even playing in CA.
What a bummer.

Khagan
Aug 8, 2012

Words cannot describe just how terrible Vietnamese are.

Fruity Gordo posted:

I know there are a few Aussie Elephant 6 fans floating around. Neutral Milk Hotel are still doing their Australian tour despite Harvest being cancelled, and you can buy tickets for the Sydney Enmore gig here: http://www.enmoretheatre.com.au/eve...tral-milk-hotel
The rest of the Aussie dates are on the website and have links to where you can buy tickets: http://walkingwallofwords.com/tour.html

I bought mine like a week ago but I just remembered that most fans probably aren't on their mailing list, so if you want to see NMH before Mangum has another breakdown and gives up singing in the band for another decade do it now, and do it screechily.

Highly likely that I will be going to the Enmore alone seeing as NMH is too edgy for my friends.

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

So the tour started a few weeks ago... any impressions? I'm about to see the DC show, I'm expecting to see some weeping hipsters (I'll probably be one of them). Can't believe this is happening but I dunno about elf power who it looks like is opening.

Juttman
Apr 7, 2008

Saturated Fats
I saw it in Philly. It was really great. They seemed really into it. They played Ferris Wheel On Fire which is my favorite song of theirs. There was a lot of weeping hipsters indeed

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

I saw the Toronto show and it was fantastic.

interpunct
Aug 2, 2006

Bad girls think that you're being a boob punch

I saw them twice during their 5-night New York run. They've been changing up their set lists each night, but I managed to catch two shows with the same exact set list. Despite that, it was an incredible experience. They play nearly all of In the Aeroplane Over the Sea so expect a lot of people singing along at the top of their lungs.

AtomicRust
Aug 6, 2013

Morning, Lister! How's life in hippie heaven, you pregnant baboon-bellied space beatnik?
Seeing them in Tulsa the 14th! Really looking forward to it, and from the sounds of it they put on a really great show! I might weep if I get to hear "Engine" live.

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

AtomicRust posted:

Seeing them in Tulsa the 14th! Really looking forward to it, and from the sounds of it they put on a really great show! I might weep if I get to hear "Engine" live.

If you are curious:

They ended with it at the DC show

Also some thoughts on some specific songs:

Good lord "Ferris Wheel on Fire" was incredible. I've heard OF it before but I've never actually listened to it. Guess I need to hunt down a copy because they killed it. Also they played "Gardenhead" so fast I swear they took a 3 minute song and played it in a minute thirty flat. Same thing with Holland 1945 they just loving blew through it. They played it with this sort of manic energy that made me physically uncomfortable. Listening to that live was a very strange experience and I'm still processing it. One song that blew me away which I wasn't expecting was Snow Song pt. 1 because

A. I can't believe they played it and
B. IT loving OWNED SO HARD OMG

Moving on Aeroplane over the Sea was... actually pretty drat good. I've never heard a good live version of it so I had fairly low expectations but given that they are probably sick to death of playing it they did a pretty bang up job. Oh Comely was the best song that all members of the band participated in. It started out with just Jeff and then as the song went on more members of the band slowly added harmonies to the song until the end the full band was blasting and all the instruments were perfectly balanced and it was heavenly. Jeff also did the "hold a note for what seems like an eternity" on this and only this song as well which made it extra special.

Jeff teased Two Headed Boy at the start of the concert and then finished it during the encore, that was pretty cool. Basically all of the solo stuff Jeff played was awesome - when the rest of the band joined in they seemed a little disjointed on a few songs(Song Against Sex in particular which was disappointing), but when everything came together it was mind blowing.

Uhhhh...yeah. Three years ago I never would have guessed I would actually have the privilege of seeing this band perform live. They were really into it and I hope they do another tour and/or make some more music. It certainly seems like they have it in them.

edit: One song they did NOT play was Communist Daughter, which ughhhhh I really wanted to hear

GoodluckJonathan fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Feb 1, 2014

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Saw them in Montreal as my wife's a diehard fan. Great show, but I had no idea it was going to be so loud. Holy gently caress. I should have brought earplugs.

memy
Oct 15, 2011

by exmarx
Saw them twice, once in Jersey and once in Boston. The setlist was essentially identical both nights but I felt they sounded better the second time. Caught up with Scott after that second show and chatted with him for a bit (and of course got him to sign my copy of Aeroplane) but the other three left out the back. He said that they haven't figured out how to play Communist Daughter live yet- sorry to the poster who wanted to hear it. I also mentioned I was disappointed about not hearing Oh Sister and he joked that I did, it was just spread between all the songs of the set.

I must say, [Untitled] live is one of the greatest things I've ever seen.

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

The saw sounds so cool live. My wife thought it was a theremin when they first started playing but nope. It's a goddamn saw.

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

Wachepti posted:

If you are curious:

They ended with it at the DC show

Also some thoughts on some specific songs:

Good lord "Ferris Wheel on Fire" was incredible. I've heard OF it before but I've never actually listened to it. Guess I need to hunt down a copy because they killed it. Also they played "Gardenhead" so fast I swear they took a 3 minute song and played it in a minute thirty flat. Same thing with Holland 1945 they just loving blew through it. They played it with this sort of manic energy that made me physically uncomfortable. Listening to that live was a very strange experience and I'm still processing it. One song that blew me away which I wasn't expecting was Snow Song pt. 1 because

A. I can't believe they played it and
B. IT loving OWNED SO HARD OMG

Moving on Aeroplane over the Sea was... actually pretty drat good. I've never heard a good live version of it so I had fairly low expectations but given that they are probably sick to death of playing it they did a pretty bang up job. Oh Comely was the best song that all members of the band participated in. It started out with just Jeff and then as the song went on more members of the band slowly added harmonies to the song until the end the full band was blasting and all the instruments were perfectly balanced and it was heavenly. Jeff also did the "hold a note for what seems like an eternity" on this and only this song as well which made it extra special.

Jeff teased Two Headed Boy at the start of the concert and then finished it during the encore, that was pretty cool. Basically all of the solo stuff Jeff played was awesome - when the rest of the band joined in they seemed a little disjointed on a few songs(Song Against Sex in particular which was disappointing), but when everything came together it was mind blowing.

Uhhhh...yeah. Three years ago I never would have guessed I would actually have the privilege of seeing this band perform live. They were really into it and I hope they do another tour and/or make some more music. It certainly seems like they have it in them.

edit: One song they did NOT play was Communist Daughter, which ughhhhh I really wanted to hear

I was a DC as well - god damned amazing. I didn't think that the performance would be that energetic, but it certainly was. I was terrified that, when people yelled "WE LOVE YOU JEFF" and stuff, that Jeff would have gotten emotionally scared and left in fear :ohdear:

I also love that he totally went full-on Howard Hughes beard and looks like the hermit that he's famous for being

sea of losers
Jun 6, 2007

miy mwoiultlh tbreaptpreude ifno srteavtiecr more

memy posted:

I must say, [Untitled] live is one of the greatest things I've ever seen.

this would probably blow my head apart

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

Finally seeing them on saturday. So loving excited.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.

robot roll call posted:

Finally seeing them on saturday. So loving excited.

You were at the Madison show, too? We drove about six hours each way for it, and it was totally worth it. Amazing performance, great theater, pretty solid crowd. Elf Power opened, and they were pretty hit-or-miss. I wouldn't have minded if they cut out a couple of songs.

The musical saw was loving incredible. Also, I think Mangum's voice has gotten a little deeper over the years and it sounds really good. He's still able to hit all the notes, though, which was impressive.

Admoon
Oct 29, 2009

I saw them Friday night in Chicago and I just wanna reiterate what someone else said in that Untitled was loving amazing live.

VVVV I saw the posters above me use them and I am a sheep :v:

Admoon fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Feb 11, 2014

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Not that I have a problem with it but why are we using spoiler tags?

Anyway, I'm seeing them next week. :toot:

Even though I haven't really liked the past, like, four or five Elf Power albums, I'm still excited to see them live again, they're nice guys and fun.

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

I used them because I assume there are people who want to go to the show not knowing anything about it.

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

They played the same exact setlist last night in Minneapolis as they did many months ago in Columbia, MO.

As much as I love this band, it's not so fun seeing them multiple times on this tour. The non-Jeff members looked like they were having fun on stage at least.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

So....anyone going to the Portland show on April 7?

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001

roffels posted:

They played the same exact setlist last night in Minneapolis as they did many months ago in Columbia, MO.

As much as I love this band, it's not so fun seeing them multiple times on this tour. The non-Jeff members looked like they were having fun on stage at least.

As much as I love the band, they're pretty much playing the same setlist they were 16 years ago, so I chose not to see them at all this time around. Especially at 6x the ticket price in an uncomfortably packed sold-out venue.

Jonny
Dec 31, 2005

chime_on posted:

As much as I love the band, they're pretty much playing the same setlist they were 16 years ago, so I chose not to see them at all this time around. Especially at 6x the ticket price in an uncomfortably packed sold-out venue.

Did anyone expect anything different? Most people never got a chance to see them 16 years ago, and they only have two albums of material to draw on for sets anyway.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Yeah, I mean, NMH could play literally every song they've ever recorded and it'd only be a 2 hour concert.

Kind of a shame there aren't any new songs being written during the tour, though.

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006
the crowd was so loving insufferable during the show I saw that it took away from the experience itself. Julian and the horn section were tremendous, but the dirty looks that were shot at audience members who had the balls to yell or interact were unbelievable. I felt sorry for all of the geeks who were standing around watching a show and trying to find Meaning in it, trying to convince themselves that this 17-year old collection of indie pop and rock songs was Important.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

juche mane posted:

the dirty looks that were shot at audience members who had the balls to yell or interact were unbelievable.

Where was this? My experience with last year's tour was the exact opposite of this, every audience member was going hog wild and nobody gave poo poo one.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Man, there sure a lot of bad vibes in this thread.

The Dirtyness
Sep 13, 2007

juche mane posted:

the crowd was so loving insufferable during the show I saw that it took away from the experience itself.
Considering the absurd level of fanaticism that surrounds this band, I can't see how you were expecting anything less.

Auxiliary Easel
May 20, 2007
useful, no doubt
I was at the Tulsa show on Friday, and all of the vibes seemed pretty good to me, except for some guy yelling in the crowd about Skinny Puppy or something. It was obvious, though, that there were a lot of dudes who were there solely as a Valentine's Day present to their ladies. Somebody even proposed to his lady, I think between the opening band and NMH. (She said yes, or at least that's what the crowd was chanting.)

But yeah, LOUD AS HELL. I was up against the stage, and I'm still having some post-show deafness two days later. How many hipster points do I get if I've sustained permanent hearing damage?

Action Serious
Feb 2, 2009
Tickets for the nearest show in my area go on sale Friday, but there's a presale tomorrow. I've been looking for information on a password (mailing lists with the venue, following their Facebook and twitter accounts) but haven't seen anything yet. Is there one code that's used for these tickets or should I just keep an eye open tomorrow?

interpunct
Aug 2, 2006

Bad girls think that you're being a boob punch

Action Serious posted:

Tickets for the nearest show in my area go on sale Friday, but there's a presale tomorrow. I've been looking for information on a password (mailing lists with the venue, following their Facebook and twitter accounts) but haven't seen anything yet. Is there one code that's used for these tickets or should I just keep an eye open tomorrow?

Presale tickets for this tour have usually been sold through here - http://www.crowdsurge.com/Neutral-Milk-Hotel/

No password necessary. Just be ready to select tickets at 10 a.m. local time. Create a Crowdsurge account in advance to save some time during checkout.

Action Serious
Feb 2, 2009

interpunct posted:

Presale tickets for this tour have usually been sold through here - http://www.crowdsurge.com/Neutral-Milk-Hotel/

No password necessary. Just be ready to select tickets at 10 a.m. local time. Create a Crowdsurge account in advance to save some time during checkout.

Thanks a lot, I'd be very upset if I missed this so I want to double my ticket getting chances.

Action Serious
Feb 2, 2009
Got two tickets for July 17th in Royal Oak. Now to just forget I have them so I don't want summer to fly by.

lambeth
Aug 31, 2009
I saw them in Nashville on the 4th and it was incredible. Both Jeff and the band were super into the songs and the energy from the audience was amazing--you could tell that everyone there was there because they love the band. Two-Headed Boy, Part Two got played second-to-last during the encore and Jeff invited everyone to gather in and sing along. You could tell he was moved by the love in the crowd after that song.

Overall, a wonderful experience (though holy crap, there are some obsessed fans). Elf Power was pretty bland though and played for 45 minutes, which was way too long.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

This article is the worst thing.

http://www.salon.com/2014/02/23/you_ruined_neutral_milk_hotel_nostalgia_millennials_and_the_return_of_jeff_mangum/

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

Why do music writers think writing about their agonizing hipster guilt is anything other than boring navel-gazing?

AtomicRust
Aug 6, 2013

Morning, Lister! How's life in hippie heaven, you pregnant baboon-bellied space beatnik?

Wow, the narcissism is really obvious in that article. It's pretty much "I was too busy judging people around me to pay attention to the music, woe is me!"

Also, I never posted about it, but I saw them in Tulsa two weeks ago and it was the best show I've ever been to. They really do put on a heartfelt performance, and some of the members even stuck around afterwards to chat with fans (I only got to meet Julian and Scott, though) and Elf Power's Olivia Tremor Control tribute was really cool to hear!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

AtomicRust posted:

Wow, the narcissism is really obvious in that article. It's pretty much "I was too busy judging people around me to pay attention to the music, woe is me!"

Also, I never posted about it, but I saw them in Tulsa two weeks ago and it was the best show I've ever been to. They really do put on a heartfelt performance, and some of the members even stuck around afterwards to chat with fans (I only got to meet Julian and Scott, though) and Elf Power's Olivia Tremor Control tribute was really cool to hear!

Julian and Scott are super nice! Jeremy Barnes is approachable as well, though I don't think he seeks out the fans. I saw two girls approach him, and he said "I know one you, you're [name] from facebook, right?" and the girl broke down in tears. It was kind of cute. Jeff will eventually come out if you hang around long enough. I had the entire band sign my ticket stub. I think I posted a downer review a few posts up, but I really enjoyed the show when I saw it in Columbia, MO.

• Locked thread