Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
boozy
Apr 25, 2008

precision posted:

At least in my experience, the "legend" has been there since the first album, really. I knew people back then that were just as into it as the obsessives of today.

I didn't know this, was he really always treated with the same strange reverence as he is today? By the time I was old enough to discover NMH's music Jeff had already been in exile for several years and his myth firmly established, so I actually thought of his music with the same finality as songs by guys like John Lennon or Nick Drake. I think it's a little easier to understand all the hero worship in that context, but that's crazy if this is just how the world interacts with Jeff Mangum.

I was super stoked that I got to see him perform in Austin last year. Maybe it's because I'm not used to such bare shows, but it really did feel like something special. Plus he played a lovely Daniel Johnston cover. I'm thinking about going to the Houston show, though I'm not sure I'm ready watch him perform the same fifteen or so songs again quite so soon. (But he says this is the last! :ohdear:) Anyone who's interested but is on the fence because of creepy religious vibes or whatever should totally just go.

boozy fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Jan 8, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread