Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Molly Bloom
Nov 9, 2006

Yes.

Blarggy posted:

Tiggums: Sorry, let my clarify. When I said two or three times longer, I didn't actually mean the scene itself. It is supposed to start at his home with him waking up, and getting ready with his younger sister, where I had intended to include a basic introduction to the character. The problem was, in my haste to get the explosion scene out of my head, I sort've skipped to it much quicker than intended.

May I stop you there for a second? Unless you do something really special with it and blow the cliche out of the water, starting with waking up is probably a bad thing. A bad, bad, thing.

Also, introducing the character into the story is not the same as an introduction to the character (I'm just going on what you've written here, your intent may be different). You don't have to read us down a list of 'he's blonde, he's shy, his sister bullies him, etc...'. You're not reading down a character sheet. You can show us all these things, but remember that people are going to be really pissed off if the only things you ever know about the character and how he works turn up in the first paragraph, presented in a list rather than shown.

Why not introduce him with his explosion? If you're bored writing his 'introduction', it probably shows, and your audience might be bored.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread