Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

Guiness13 posted:

Rather than clutter up the Dome, I thought I'd post my edit here. I'd be grateful for any thoughts, and would be happy to take a look at your own if you want to post it.

Flicker 242 words

Removed for sub. Final version is here https://docs.google.com/document/d/1xwHva3lhqfJy19pvzuTMPpYV21ZHKGi8C7dGvoMS3nA/edit?usp=sharing

At first I thought this would be a cute nostalgic Christmas with a cool dad, but then you scared me.

quote:

Jack woke late. He opened his eyes and winced at the buzz in his head. The kitchen was still. The stove was cold, the percolator sat empty. He fixed a bowl of cereal and ate, waiting for the creaks and groans of the floorboards upstairs.
There came nothing but silence.
He crept up the stairs to his father’s door. The door whispered open over the carpet and he saw the mound on the bed. Saw the slashes, saw the knife. He opened his mouth to scream.

This caused a chill to run through my spine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

Daphnaie posted:

Hi all. I'm the sort of writer who has focused on a lot on just practicing by writing fragments and prepping for the novel I'd love to finish writing someday. But I know this isn't the most conducive way to actually refining my craft, so I've decided that I'm going to start trying to write some proper short stories in order to get that practice. I realise that short stories and novels aren't the same thing, but if nothing else I'd like to get my prose up to snuff so when I do tackle that novel, its slightly less terrible than it otherwise would be.

So with that said, I'd really appreciate a critique of this snippet from a short story I'm writing at the moment. It's about 1000 words, and about 2/3rds of the story. Originally I wrapped it up in another two paragraphs, but it felt like I was rushing the conclusion and emotional aftermath/climax. So I've cut out the ending and am interested to see if I'm on the right track with what I've written so far, or if I'm just admiring a dumpster fire.

Here's a link to it, I hope using Google Docs is kosher:

The Pastor
https://docs.google.com/document/d/12DwmjcpyVTRxIAp8a8zjixQhxO7JMWtin6pCuDHE05c/edit?usp=sharing

I edited it for you, I did it anonymously though. I thought that you overused " I " in the story, and because of that, your story was a bit monotonous: " I did this" " I began to do this" " I saw him do that" " Then I did this other thing". Though once the conflict or action started, you stopped it overusing it, and started to write some of your verbs in past tense, and some were present.
Sorry if my edits are not good, I am a bit new to editing peoples work.

E: Would you mind taking a look at a short story I wrote? It's 1088 words.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/188_r1eIQ4MBVSAXgGz0Pg1kJGTwMPtJaCq5u51cGT7E/edit?usp=sharing
Or anyone in the thread.

gay for gacha fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Apr 21, 2016

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

newtestleper posted:

Okay I started to do a crit of this but I only got halfway through because I couldn't get past the clunky prose. The saidisms struck me as particularly bad.

If either of you guys are serious about writing have a think about joining the thunderdome. It's weekly flash fiction, and from crits on your work and others' it's a really good way to learn the basics well.

I really appreciate it, I just started writing and enjoyed what I wrote, but I wanted a dose of reality and you just did that. I'm going to take the story down and write more.

• Locked thread