Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SleuthDiplomacy
Sep 25, 2010

Tiggum posted:

A Battle For the Ages (245 words)

I stood in silence, listening for the faintest sound of my foe. There it was! He'd got behind me again! Back and forth, around and around I chased him, spraying wildly at the slightest glimpse, always a step behind.

Finally I found him at rest. He flew, but slowly. At least one of my attacks must have hit the mark. I pursued relentlessly, hitting him several more times. At last he lay dying.

A funny little tale. I agree with what Phil Moscowitz said about catching on to the "punchline" of the story a little early. While I'm all about trimming things down, the excessive drama of this showdown with a fly necessitates unnecessary detail, if that makes sense. Sort of a jab at the poorly-written action scenes a lot of thriller/military pulp stories seem to have. The speaker themselves doesn't need to do anything ridiculous, like an action roll over the couch or whatever, but something that shows the reader that the speaker is trying to think of themselves as badass/in a tense situation despite doing something mundane.

On a more minor note, the bolded section doesn't really do it for me. "At rest" seems a little bid laid-back for recuperating from a "firefight," and the bit about the adversary flying kind of tips your hand too much. Him flying and being at rest also kind of contradict each other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread