Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Ofaloaf posted:

I do a little work for local government and I just saw a play about zombies. I've not really written much before, I dunno what the hell I'm doing.

The township meeting began with some talk about recent news. "Zombies went through my fields again," noted one of the older trustees of the board, Chuck Moore, as the board sat down for their meeting. "Third time this week. I got one of the boys to put a crucifix on every drat one of my fence posts this morning. Can't let the undead ruin this year's crop, you know."

Supervisor Riding let out a small sigh. "That won't do you much good, Chuck. The undead got nothing to do with Satan or Hell or--"

"Nothing to do!" snorted Moore. "Harry, if you think zombies got nothing to do with the Devil, I got a bridge in Brooklyn for you."

"I know, Chuck, I know." Riding's left hand twitched as he tried to talk down the elderly board member. "Lot of folks're saying that this is God's judgment, the end of times, that sort of stuff, but whether it's Satan's work or a virus' doing, we've still got to deal with it somehow."

The township treasurer spoke up. "They got Daniel Lurig last night," she remarked. "His son came by to check up on him around sunrise, saw him undead this morning. Poor kid didn't have the heart to stop him, so he's just got Daniel locked up in the barn, last I knew." The rest of the board chimed in with a chorus of "poor kid"s and "I knew his dad"s.

"See, Chuck?" asked Riding. "Whatever's causing this, it's creating problems for everyone. We got to figure out how to deal with it here before it gets out of hand, and we can leave figuring out the cause of it to someone working for County, and if they can't work it out, then that's the state's job, and if they can't work it out, hell, then I guess it's up to the feds."

Moore scowled. "Feds. That'll take a while. So, what, we're going to wait for them to do something, then? Can't just let the township go to hell."

Riding smiled. "We'll get to that, Chuck, but that's new business. First we got to get this month's board agenda approved, then move on to last month's unfinished business, before we can start addressing new issues..."

I like your use of local speech, I can hear these people as I've dealt with enough of them in my small town. Perhaps some more physical depictions would express the frustration of Rider with Moore's insistance on a religious explaination and attempts at placating him on how the issue will be handled by the authorities. Though why is his left hand twitching? That's the only thing that really pulled me out of the scene.

Riding is also some kind of lunatic (I like it). God save us all from such bureaucrats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
I'm working on a horror short story set in Detroit. This is my first actual writing in many years, so I don't expect it to be very good. Let me know if I should keep going:

Sarah Kester's day was turning out to be an object lesson in misery. It started off with her waking up unable to breathe through her nose, a hardened crust of mucus trailing to her ear. A note by the bedstand informed her that it was (as her boyfriend James put it) "Time to start looking for a job." Something by the way, that she is perfectly aware of, as she already has a 9am interview.

Well...had an interview. The godawful directions given to her by the receptionist at Magnanimous Marketing Solutions, LLC neglected to mention whether it was North or South Tacoma Avenue she was heading to, resulting in the cabby dropping her off well shy of her destination. By the time she realized the mistake, the bastard had driven off already. Bleary eyed, stuffy nosed and cold in the October morning, she looked up and down the crumbling street she'd been delivered to in search of MMS's office, to no avail. The looming tower she thought was MMS’s office was actually an abandoned apartment building, judging by the rusted sign reading “Valley View Heights”. The strip mall she stood before had exactly one business in operation; A pawn shop called "Gold'E'Locks Gold Exchange," with a fearsome looking storefront. Bars over the blue and gold painted windowpane, and the excited depiction of the words: "Guns!, Guns!, Guns!," were not terribly reassuring. The remaining storefronts were the cold brick of late 70's architecture. Their wide display windows and doorways boarded over with the rain and snow soaked particleboards of the last decade, warped further by intricate graffiti tags.

Fearing she'd miss the interview, she jams her hand into the pocket of her slacks to retrieve her smartphone. A quick glance at the cherished yellow and black display of Felix the cat is all she needs to see that she has no signal...and that her time is running short.

"Fuuuck," she groans, turning annoyed to the window of Gold'E'Locks.

Peering through the grime encrusted window, she can see an obese, middle aged man scowling at her with drooping, baggy eyes from behind a bulletproof glass kiosk. Sighing, she pulls open the heavy door to a reeking, garlic filled blast of heated air.

Smiling, she says; “Hi, can I use your-“

“No. No phone, no bathroom. Company policy,” he grunts, wiping sweat from his comb-over with a balled up shirt. “You wanna buy somethin’, you let me know.”

“Please? It’s kind of an emergency, and I’m not getting any bars on my phone. It would only take a second.”

“Nope, sorry lady. Gotta follow policy or I get shitcanned,” he shrugs as he points a nicotine stained finger at a looming security camera.

“poo poo,” she curses under her breath. “Fine. Thanks,” she turns on her heel and swiftly exits the foul smelling shop.

Back outside, the frigid wind hits her immediately as she turns in the direction of downtown and starts to walk, already dreading the long, cold trip home.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012

epoch. posted:

Setting a horror story in Detroit in this day and age should be as natural as a gothic horror set in London. You definitely have attempted to build the character of the city with some relative success, but literally nothing interesting happens here, at all. Even though this is a snippet of a (planned) larger piece, you've sort of, well, wasted the reader's time. You spend a lot of time on unnecessary detail. Detail in fiction is crucial. But it must serve a purpose. Every word you write should serve a purpose other than "I liked how it made me feel smart to write this."

Starting with a character waking up is pretty cliche.
Then, said character gets kind of lost, doesn't have a phone signal, talks to a pawn shop owner who is a cardboard cutout with functioning mouth-hole only, then she leaves. Wow. I am literally shaking with excitement. If this is a horror story you could've fooled me. See, you could have gotten to the horror already, or at least alluded to it, if you didn't waste so much time talking about crap that doesn't matter.

Also your tense is all over the place.

Here, see some more specific stuff below.

I think I could spend another, like, hour on this but I have things to do.

Keep writing.

Thank you for taking the time to give it the business. I was afraid of much of this being the case. The one seemingly extra detail I want to keep at least, is the sickness and being unable to properly breathe, as it's an important detail later that will save her life. I'll see what I can do with this.

• Locked thread