Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

E: Apparently when I posted this I committed the cardinal goonsin of not reading the OP. :blush: My quid pro quo review is in the next post, over the page.

OK, here goes. This is a little something I'm eventually planning on submitting to Nature for their Futures section. The brief is 850-950 words words of hard sci fi. However, since I wrote this based somewhat on my own experiences in data science, which even I find a little dry at times, I'm particularly interested in knowing whether a) the jargon-o-metre is in the right place between understandability and hard sciencey-ness, b) the story is compelling, and c) the character is relatable to. All other comments are welcome.

Deathwatch (944 words)

Daniella drove down the cracked, too-wide street in the barren Detroit neighbourhood housing the United Credit data centre. Some days, she wondered why , but the response came quickly: the enormous salary premium. The money UC saved by using a disused telephone exchange left them with more than enough to afford it, and protecting profits through cost-savings was the whole point, wasn't it? Besides, the work was too interesting, the data too big, for her to possibly pass it up. In fact, she suspected that part of UC's decision to base their main data mining centre in a run-down corner nobody wanted to visit was precisely to keep it low key. She had the full purchase histories, credit records, demographics (actual and inferred) and online activity logs on every one of UC's nearly fifty million customers at her fingertips, and already she had worked magic with it.

She reminisced over her achievements as she passed the discrete but formidable perimeter security and into the Faraday-caged office area, her phone bleating plaintively about the lack of signal. Marriage had been her greatest success to date. With the right combination of features -- certain purchases, subtle changes in credit rating indicative of emotional distress, income for striation -- all normalised to county-level census data and trained with the right classifier, she could predict when a customer was about to marry (with cross-validated PPV of 0.98), or divorce (PPV=0.97). Working with the production team, she had optimised the classifier for speed, validated on a follow-up cohort, and rolled it out as a secure internal service to account managers country-wide. She'd had some doubts about the sales execs' idea of increasing credit limits to cover wedding or divorce costs, but UC did also offer preferential rates on florists, catering, honeymoon vacation packages, divorce lawyers and psychotherapy. Besides, the intellectual challenge of the problem was what really moved her.

The latest project, now that was a challenge: suicide prediction, or "deathwatch", as they'd begun to call it. She had no idea where UC had dug up the training data -- data sharing agreements with life insurance companies, probably -- but that had been the least of her problems. She'd had to cast her net wide for inputs, and feature selection had been tricky. Still, the right types of credit card payments, web browsing trails winding through suicide prevention websites, and social media posts both from the imminently deceased and their "friends" could be most revealing when sifted from the noise. She'd even run literature miners over the suicide research corpus. And finally, it had worked. She had a developed a rock-solid, tightly bounded score for six-month suicide risk. For a while, after UC had rolled it out and the first lives had been saved by trained (credit) counsellors, she had begun to feel like she was changing the world.

But this morning, as she sat at her plush, three-monitor workstation, something had been bothering her. She had been running diagnostics on the deathwatch predictions since the interventions, and the positive effect was quite visible. Yet, quite a few of the predicted suicides seemed to happen anyway, and she was determined to find the pattern. As she set up the analysis on the compute cluster, she idly flipped through some of the other data scientists' code on the network drive, her eye stopping on a folder titled "Suicide Cost-Benefit Analysis". Determining exactly what the main script was doing would take some time, but the main function took in a personal identifier, and spat out a score. She had a hunch, and set up a quick run over a subsample of the suicide predictees. The score gave an almost perfect stratification.

She stormed into her manager's office.
"You're just letting them die!"
"Daniella, Daniella, "
"I found the cost benefit script. I know. When they aren't valuable enough to UC, they don't get an intervention."
"Come now, the counselling costs money, and we have an obligation to our shareholders to turn a profit. We have to know when the cost of the counselling exceeds the predicted future lifetime profit from the customer. And it's not like we're heartless; we send them a letter suggesting they get counselling. You should know ..."
Her mind numbing as the impenetrable miasma of business jargon enfolded her, she nodded, meakly, in compliance.

Eventually she shuffled back to her desk in a daze, and too drained for real work, opened her inbox to an email from Mom which turned her blood cold. Dad had received a strange letter from the credit card company, suggesting he look into counselling.

Suddenly, she was alert again. The records were de-identified, but picking Dad out was easy enough. Her palms sweated as she began running him through the suicide risk predictor, adding a new refinement she'd been working on to predict time of suicide. Her clenched fingers slipping on the keys, she started the cost-benefit script in parallel.

The prediction confirmed her fears -- his suicide risk was through the roof. The cost-benefit analysis hardly surprised either. Dad had always been careful with his money. Eyes transfixed to the screen as the time predictor churned away, Daniella's thoughts raced. Should she run to the smoking balcony so she could call home? The sudden flicker of the script completing decided her, as it predicted a single day. That day.

She floated to the balcony, her damp fingers slipping on the touchscreen as she dialled home. Each ring drew the knot in her stomach tighter, and Mom's frenzied voice rang out like a gong.
"Daniella? Daniella! It's horrible.... your father ... shotgun ... outside ... shed ..."
"He's dead, Daniella! Dead!"

Lead out in cuffs fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Feb 1, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Nettle Soup posted:

Can I get some basic advice on this? It was a 3 random words ~500 word challenge to myself. It's grown to about 700 now so I'm going to stop editing it and just post. I'm heartened the thought that it can't possibly be as incomprehensible as that mess of words above.

---

3 seed words: Necklace, integrity, defy.

It was, I thought, a very pretty necklace. In general, "pretty" is a fairly worthless adjective. However, it does seem appropriate to (and indicative of) the narrator's status as a little old working class English lady. That said, it wasn't too clear who she was until she used the word "skip". You may want to try dropping a few more hints in the narrator's turn of phrase earlier on to help set the scene. Whether she'll like it or not I have no idea, but with what little time I'd had, I thought I'd done very well. On reading the whole piece through once or twice, I realised that you never made it clear what the narrator had actually "done" very well. Did she make the piece? Make the box? Did she consider herself to have "done well" in salvaging it at all?

It, the necklace I mean, is in a little red velveteen box. Yes it's a little worn around the edges, but it's still solid, and when you close it it Arg! How about "when closed gives..." gives a nice, satisfying click. The lining inside the box is cream, and in a specially made recess sits the necklace, a yellowgold chain with a fairly big pendant in the center, set with a large green emerald. "Lining inside the box" is redundant -- where else would you find the lining? "Specially made" kills the tone. "Yellow" gold is also somewhat redundant; sure white gold exists, but gold is by default yellow, and holy hell is "yellow" a soulless adjective for this thing. Same goes for "fairly big". You're describing the main object of your essay. Work hard on this sentence; make it flow; make it evocative.

Like I said, a pretty thing. If you prise your fingernails into the edge then it opens up, Oh. Oh. The necklace is a locket. She's just been talking about the box, and the first thing I thought was that she was prising the box open. Maybe try to add a few more descriptions tying this action to the necklace itself, or just call it a locket somewhere? and there's a yellowed picture and some hair inside, but I don't know who they belonged to, it's not old Joan.

Maybe somebody loved it once, Seriously? Maybe? It has a piece of hair in it. but right now it's in the drawer in the kitchen, Whose kitchen? Most of the rest of the essay talks about Joan's flat, not the narrator's. shoved right to the back so that nobody finds it when they need a spoon or something. When I was a girl I had a false-back in my knicker drawer Here would be a good place for turn-of-phrase clues to the reader: "in me knicker drawer" where I used to store that kind of thing, but that was quite a time ago now.

I didn't steal it, in case you're wondering. I know I'm hiding it but it's not like that.

It's not... Is it stealing if nobody will ever know? If nobody cares? If there's nobody left to claim it? "Claim" sounds awkward and out of place. It's stealing from the state also "state" sounds out of character to me. Your narrator does not sound like the type to use the word "state" to talk about the government maybe, death duties and unclaimed wills and all that, but don't talk to me about wills... Bloody government owns everything nowadays, if they don't own it while you're alive then they certainly own it after you're dead.

And it's not stealing if she'd have wanted me to have it, right? Because when I say there was nobody left, I guess that's not strictly true either.

They came only once, the Family. Not long after she died, "Died" is also a pretty awful word to use. Usually. It works here once you've got the working class accent dialled in. they came round. I watched "watched"? Try "peeped" or something. The listening at the window could be more evocative too. through the curtains and I listened through the window as they banged all her doors, as they shouted out her windows. You used "window" twice in the same sentence. I watched as they sifted through all her things, took what they wanted and disdained Again with the tone/character: "disdained" sounds out of place. all they didn't. I watched Third time using this word. I think you're going for some kind of rhythmic repetition, but it doesn't really work, mostly because "watched" is an incredibly boring word. as they filled the skip and as they dismantled her entire life bit by bit, piece by piece. This feels out of order -- they filled the skip and then dismantled her entire life? It's amazing how fast you can destroy 80 years of work. "Work"? There has got to be a better way of describing all earthly traces of somebody's 80-year long life. Two, three hours, and all signs of the person are erased. A few days, a couple of coats of paint, and it's like they never existed at all.

They saw me, Where? On first reading, I though the narrator was a ghostly apparition standing in the flat and being half-seen by the relatives. I saw them gesture in my direction, lower their voices, look away, oh yes, they saw me and they knew who I was. Except we, as readers, never really find out. You can't tease with this and then not deliver. If they'd come over, if they'd asked maybe, if they'd shown the slightest bit of sympathy... But they didn't, so I, as they used to say, kept mum. Then they left were gone and it was too late anyway. Maybe if they'd come back I would have said something, but they never did. About what? We, the readers, don't know, so why should we care? A man came to empty the skip, somebody came to take the last of the furniture, a builder, a decorator, and that was it. "that was that", for a little old working class English lady, no? Also, this sentence needs more description. "A man came", "somebody came", "take" are pretty piss-poor descriptors. Paint a picture with your words. All signs of old Joan were gone, and she may as well have never even existed at all. I don't think they even bought her a headstone... This also seems weird -- you hint that the narrator was something special to Joan, but she doesn't even know whether she got a headstone on her grave?

Anyway. No. Holy gently caress no. Do not begin a paragraph in a beautiful nostalgic rumination with "anyway". There's a woman living there now, young, I've heard her shouting yelling. or even better, yellin' at her kid and seen her busying in and out, but she seems a good sort. This sentence feels strange -- the shouting is a reason for the "but", while it's not clear why the "busying in and out" would be indicative of someone not a good sort. She hasn't been over to say hello yet but that's ok OK, that's how the young live nowadays. I keep meaning to bake her something, to go over there and introduce myself, but it's too late for me to be making friends again now. Make it clear that you mean "too late in life", not "too late after the neighbour moved in". Something like "at my age". I think about it, and then I stop. I put the cake back in the cupboard, Huh? I thought she never got up to baking something, so why is there a cake? put the extra mug away again and tell myself I'll do it tomorrow instead. Also, if there is a cake, they don't stay fresh forever; "tomorrow instead" seems weird (but only if there's cake).

But this time I mean it, I am going to go over there tomorrow, cake or no cake. I'm going to tell her the stories and I'm going to give her the necklace, whether she wants it or not.

And maybe when I die, and they shuffle through my jewelry box and they look behind my television and they curse their lack of Inheritance, they'll know it served them right.

This bugs me the most. It took about three readings to realise that the terrible vengeance she'll mete upon her own kids is to not leave them an inheritance. And how would they know it served them right? Is this old lady seriously talking about taking vengeance on her own kids for the actions of her friend's kids? Why should we eveb care about her family, whom she's never mentioned once?

Overall, I like it, though I'm not sure all goons will. The nostalgia and whimsy are sufficiently cloying that I think you can scrape by with the relative lack of drama. There are some clarity problems, though, especially with the ending. You could make us care a lot more, too.

E: corrected minor bolding error.

Lead out in cuffs fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Feb 1, 2014

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Nettle Soup posted:

Thank you! I realise it has some major issue, but if nobody points them out then I'll never improve! I think the main problem is, it started out as a guy giving his girlfriend a necklace he couldn't possibly afford and her thinking he'd stolen it, and then suddenly the woman shoved her way in and I couldn't think of a better opening. I should have just erased it and started fresh.

You're welcome! I hope it didn't come off as too negative. As I said at the end, I do kinda like it, it just needs some work for consistency and clarity. Maybe work on explaining the narrator's relationship to Joan, and think of some kind of better ending -- either work the locket angle (it's your main theme, no?) with the new neighbour, or else something happening with Joan's family. Or hell, have something happen with the locket. Have the narrator arrested, or be currently in jail. Anything but her taking some kind of spiteful vengeance on her own family we've never heard about until the last sentence.

Nettle Soup posted:

She never found the headstone because the family didn't contact her, and they didn't have one made anyway, just kept her ashes on the bookcase.

Hmmm ... but wouldn't she have gone to the funeral? They're generally public, and if she cared so much, she would've found the details and gone, even if not invited personally.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Their writing is clunky in part because they're making a lot of Russian ESL grammatical errors and weird turns of phrase. It's also that they're telling rather than showing. Blah blah is a military unit. Blah blah is a legendary creature.

Show, don't tell. Don't get too flowery, but create a little tension.

[Greekos Commanderos] wiped the snow from his visor and gazed down the slopes of the West Oros to the ruins of [blah blah] below. His most stalwart scout had returned, shaking and pale. Any other man he would not have believed, for the being he described was a myth, something to scare children at night. But if the legends were true, and it should reach its lair at [blah blah]... His veins turned to ice as he thought of his mother, knitting by the fire back in [Greekia citia], unaware of the doom hanging over them all.

That could probably be more succinct, and I'm making up details because I don't know your world, but it's a hell of a lot more interesting than the way you have things written right now. Also note how much information is embedded in the descriptions. That first sentence tells us he's a soldier (helmet/visor), that it's winter (snow), that the Oros is a mountain range (slopes), and that the blah blah lair place is a ruin. And that was without a single "is a".

Something you also need to think about is your character building. Is the commander an important character? For the first half of your piece he's the centre of focus. If gryphon lady is your sole main character, and the commander guy is just a mook, you should probably trim down the fluff at the beginning and get to her as soon as possible.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Erik Shawn-Bohner posted:

3) If you want a critique, post one first. 1:1 ratio.

Just a little reminder that while Thunderdome regulars have been incredibly magnanimous in giving out crits for free, this thread is meant to be quid pro quo.

You should still be posting a critique of another story at the very least as an exercise in improving your own writing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Just a quick one, since it stood out:

TheForgotton posted:

“Snap out of it, Marsh. That's how they get you.” Clara's voice. Marshall stumbled but regained his rhythm. Another couple of seconds, and he might have stopped dancing entirely. He heard her too clearly over the dissonant waltz but felt no breath touch his face. He whispered his thanks into the crook of her neck and tried to focus his thoughts away from his slavering belly.

Slavering means drooling. Unless you're doing body horror, bellies do not drool.

• Locked thread