Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
STONE OF MADNESS
Dec 28, 2012

PVTREFACTIO

Somberbrero posted:

I hope you rip me apart.
Unfounded Rumors (1000 Words)

The reason this reads like fanfic is because it pretty much is; you've written it duty-bound to articulate as much of your gameworld as possible within the very meagre word limit and that's pretty much how fanfic is constructed - jam in as much detail as possible in the hope that one's improbable romance/sex story can be validated thereby.

It's not a very good story. The idea is ok, just ok, but it's very, very game-y. It reads as if you're providing a synopsis for an in-game cutscene. The problem is that the cutscene would have the benefit of an ongoing narrative (ie. loving Lizardman fights his way up the ladder), and nobody would ever watch it otherwise.

Here's what I see going on here:

You establish an infernal setting. You introduce Kimaris. We learn about his function in Hell and you slip in some glibness (but whether it's attributable to Kimaris or the omniscient narrator, it's hard to tell sometimes, which confuses and diminishes both). Then a gladiatorial match happens and one of the contestants is super powerful and then months pass and he loses because we don't know but Kimaris seems to have made him lose for fun.

Sorry, profit. Kimaris is match-fixing, yes? And the proceeds are helping him pay Hell Tax.

It's not by any means invalid to cast the supernatural world as just another version of our own - Tom Holt, Terry Pratchet, Neil Gaiman all set a successful precedent for this - the problem is that this has been a popular SF staple for something like 30 years now, and that it's nearly always done for laughs. In fact, it kind of has to be.
And thus your Hell dimension loses all gravity; it's just a stand-in for the familiar. Because I know Kimaris is just another balding career-minded bureaucrat, I frankly don't give a poo poo anymore.

The story would hit harder if you wrote about a legit fight-fixing. Plenty of concrete, familiar historical settings in which you could spare yourself the trouble of establishing exactly what specific kind of Hell dimension we're in, and instead plunge into characters we can care about.

There's a lot in here which isn't really fleshed out enough. There's been a Harrowing in Hell. So what? A pig-faced bird delivers a note. What the gently caress does it say? We never learn - at best, we can guess the kind of message, but it's clear at all. If you want to foreshadow the twist in the tale, you need to either flag it hard and early, or quiet and consistently as the story builds - in this case, we have a happening and then another happening, and they're not necessarily related. You've given us the cutscene version.

ALL of your dialogue is buried within thick steaming mounds of blow-by-blow object posing. He stands this way, and someone's so scared they turn chartreuse (NO!), and he puts his hand here and lowers his brow, and then he says, 'Something,' and then another guy reacts by squinting and he represses (NO!) a smirk.
Economise. Don't smother your characters' speech. Their choice of words, coupled with what we know about their motivation, their relationship with others present, etc, should already tell us what their face is likely to be doing. Only include it if it's going to enhance the story, not if its another detail of the - cutscene.
It's difficult because Kimaris is only really permitted to utter formal addresses. More characters, less setting, and you might not have this problem, 'cos you'd have more words at your disposal.
Still,

quote:

Blah blah clauses clauses then eventually Kimaris raised his hands and began to speak, “To those of you who would curse me, hold your breath! Many of you, the damned among the damned, were born into a high caste, only to find yourself here on your knees before me.”

The words have no impact. 'Began to speak' NO NEVER DO THIS. I hope you understand why, (one reason because you're wasting the reader's time, another is that dialogue is INFINITELY MORE IMPORTANT than how a character's neck is cocked or eyebrow arched and deserves its own distinct space.)

I'm running out of :effort: but I do want to address the way you're constructing descriptions of things. You do not need to catalogue every article of coolness that you thought up; and generally, if you've introduced a new concept once already in a sentence, we are unlikely to be able to process another without a small break of some kind. That is to say,

quote:

There were dinosaurs in the room, but unlike normal dinosaurs they had psionic lasers fitted to their platinum-sheathed fangs, which glinted in the chartreuse gloaming cast by eldritch mist-ghosts that had come into this part of the Hell dimension, the Arcane Arcanum, where people went to really get punished, from their homeworld, Ethgoross, the biggest planet in their system which itself was only visible once every Doomyear, which was a unit of time they had down there, because of dust from Mount Volcanos which had been temperamental, so to speak, ever since the Fall of Seraphs, although not quite so much as its master, the Countess Menopausa, etc
Now if you were using familiar objects, you could go on listing and stacking them for quite some time. But you're not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STONE OF MADNESS
Dec 28, 2012

PVTREFACTIO

theworstname posted:

Opening scene from an untitled work (1027 words)

You never got a crit for this and I doubt you'd like your piece to slip forgotten into forums history, so here goes.

First up, we need to talk about our mutual friend, the humble

While we tend to think of commas as an 'anything goes' kind of luxury option, they are required and there are a few places you just aren't using them. This will always hurt your prose.

For pacing:

quote:

She waved at a plump man in a sleeveless pink jumpsuit, who sat on a couch in front of a large display screen.
“We have other entertainment mediums we can make available to you, Bryce.”
If you don't use commas, your clauses will blur together. Sometimes this is desirable, other times, not so much. The first sentence is just difficult to read. "... jumpsuit who sat..." vs "... jumpsuit, who sat...".
And then there's this:

quote:

In it the titular character confronted Cedric, a powerful psionic and master criminal on a narrow walkway over a 'AN' FOR HEAVEN'S SAKE MAN automated waste reclamation and dispersal plant in full operation.
Hang on a master criminal on a narrow walkway over HANG ON WHAT what is a 'criminal on a narrow' oh right WELL I WAS STILL READING THAT CLAUSE THANK YOU VERY MUCH

In dialogue:

quote:

“Hello, my name is Carac,” said a voice from somewhere below Carac's chest.
This last is especially important because you always, always do this where you'd normally put a period. Question or exclamation marks are a different matter - you let them do their job. But it is NEVER acceptable to have
"Dialogue." he said
because it reads like
"Dialogue." He said.
which, if you'll cast your mind back to kindergarten, is how the retarded kids used to read out loud. Don't encourage them.

Just for completion's sake, this

quote:

She brushed aside some empty food packets, and sat next to Bryce.
is a sentence in which a comma could be used, but it's up to you. As it stands, the sentence passes briskly and if that's the tone you want, then perfect.

And just to spit on my own statements above, this

quote:

Izee gave the bulky mechanical mule a kick, it whirred
would work a whole lot better as

quote:

Izee gave the bulky mechanical mule a kick. It whirred

Enough about commas; let's talk about style.

The TV show works great. I was uncertain about the italics at first, but I think it was a good choice as it allows you to eliminate 'THEY LOOKED AT THE TV AND' when you so choose (and when you don't, you're quite gentle about it, which is ideal). One thing that's really noteworthy about this part of your story is that all of the action and dialogue is reported in summary, ie. 'told', and it works fantastically, because you're contrasting the TV show with the 'real life' of your story. Obviously, when it comes to the story proper, this is to be avoided.

'a' instead of 'the' and vice versa

quote:

Its curved surface reflected small luminescent tubes that dotted a low ceiling above.
I'd put 'the' low ceiling. You're allowed to treat your setting as a given; God knows your characters generally will, especially when it comes to ceilings. And it just reads better this way.

quote:

stout woman wearing a orange
No comment

quote:

Carac turned to Izee, turned back to the screen, then strode over to the keypad by the door.
I'd put 'a keypad'. Unless I missed you drawing my attention to it earlier, this is the first we've heard of this keypad and keypads are rare enough to warrant specific mention. 'The' assumes, 'a', um, doesn't really. If you want us to know that this is a universe where there are keypads on every door BECAUSE, put 'the' and be prepared to make it worthwhile.

It's a bit too early to tell for sure, but I think you might have a tendency to get excessively wordy in parts. Remember, just because you happen to be endowed with a compendious vocabulary, you are not obliged to deploy its entirety at any given moment.

quote:

Izee waved to Bryce and walked out of the chamber with Carac close behind into a ill-lit devastated subterranean promenade.
A clear example of when the temptation to use all the cool words just gets too exciting. You're actually wasting details when you pack them in so tightly. Tell us that it's dark, tell us that it's the darkness of the underground, tell us it's a street (unless it somehow deserves the distinction of being a promenade - this could be, but hasn't yet been established to my satisfaction), tell us it's been destroyed. Actually no wait show us these things instead tia

Your sci-fi secrets are presented a little too opaquely for my comfort - I'm being alienated by references to dried waste and mouth-gels that I'm not familiar with and don't understand. This is fine as long as you don't keep us hanging too long. By dumping the names of these things, 'gel from his mouth', 'mule is picking up the dried waste', you're actually making it more difficult to prolong an explanation than if you'd tried to allude to the nature of the things via an on-sight description (hope that makes sense). I have no loving idea what's going on with the gel-smearing but I definitely want to find out.

Finally, the POV is omniscient at this stage, and it doesn't really feel like we're getting any one character's perspective. Fine when we're looking at the TV show, not so great for holding a reader's attention. I suspect that Bryce is your man, now make me feel it.

I've got to admit - I'm intrigued by your story so far. Definitely post more once it's written.

STONE OF MADNESS
Dec 28, 2012

PVTREFACTIO

what is this

e:

STONE OF MADNESS fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Feb 15, 2013

STONE OF MADNESS
Dec 28, 2012

PVTREFACTIO
Don't worry about the box introduction thing. It's right there in black and white (and, now, italics)

quote:

Her heel tapped the cardboard box beneath the seat. No. Can't draw attention to the box,

Nothing wrong with that, and having already established that she might be pulled by Customs, you're doing well.

One of the major probs. with this piece is that you're introducing chars. at the same time as explaining their motivations for some pretty complex actions that they're already doing. Hard to keep it fresh and concise in these circumstances. As with the ending, this story could benefit from some extra information at the outset - or, ideally, from occurring after a couple of chapters that set up the novel from which this could be taken. Doesn't stand alone too well (nor could it be expected to) and does leave us wondering more about Mr. Whiskers etc.

• Locked thread