Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

crabrock posted:

yay mag7 is back.

preemptive :rolleyes: to sheriff sebmojo when he tells me to stop chatting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

:siren: CRABRAWL :siren:

Why a wise man dies under clear sky

She went under the earth without a sound. Funny that; how everybody is listening on the one day you're least equipped to speak. Listening hard, as if you're to open your eyes at any second, tell them they were wrong, and let the ache release its grip from their ribs and throats. On the day they buried her, not a sound was heard – not even birdsong.

Only, she didn't die, as such. As a germ of her soul fell through the pine, it took into itself a mouthful of dirt, and another. Greedy, feasting on worms, bones and char as the world turned in the far-and-away. The part of her that left her body behind called itself Ophiadne; the snake woman, for she coiled and uncoiled around the roots of the world, choking or giving breath as she saw fit, drinking deeply of the souls that fell down through the cracks. With their joys and sorrows, she strove to fill the hole the silence had left behind.

From her came others, shat out and taken on forms of their own, to suckle at that monstrous teat, and fail to grow strong. There was Jula; the Empty, Sawat; the Cavernous, Egritta; the Blasphemy of Stars. All grand names, struggling in the shadow of the snake woman, feeding on the scraps she left behind until they were little bone twists topped with gasping mouths, ribboned with their many grasping hands, staring eyeless and screaming tongueless against the tyranny of the mud and stone.

All starved, but were denied death. The tendrils of their dreams twitched through the veil and into the dreams of mortals, who woke screaming about a wasteland of souls, and a baroness who ruled the roots of the tree of life. A painter woke one morning unable to paint, and took his hand in a fit of rage. A poet, truly lost for words, cut out his own tongue. There were more, but they matter no more than raindrops on dirt, run together in a shallow trickle of lost souls, a million deep. The draught of gods, or something like them. A draught of which there is no cup deep enough, nor will there ever be.

When they feed, the sky weeps openly, as if a great flood could wash them away. If you would die in the rain, hold on. There are things worse than death, as Ophiadne herself learnt so long ago.

[400ish]

dope

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I'm out too: :toxx: for my next entry, as is only proper.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

crabrock posted:

you better toxx yourself for this one. no excuses.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Echo Cian posted:

What's this, I get an idea and check the thread and the guy who chickened out last time is taking the line I wanted, without even the guts to toxx himself over it?

I'm taking that line, too, because you're PROBABLY not going to submit again, and even if you do, I'll do it better.

This is an in-prompt brawl, yo.

Going to accept or wimp out of it too?

I will judge this.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

magnificent7 posted:

Oh christ sakes.

What is this challenge.

Write your story, it gets judged as usual, I will also do a crit of yours and Echo's and rank/flense them as required.

First three words are the important ones.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

The Leper Colon V posted:

Actually, I think I'm gonna withdraw my entry.

I can't think of a way to do this without being really ham-handed and kind of insulting.

HOLY poo poo JUST loving DO IT YOU UNBELIEVABLE PUSSY

but make it really good

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

who wants a brawl

seriously i will loving end you

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

hahahah you attempt

you will fail

who will judge

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Mag7/EchoCian InfraBrawl

So M7 got some history here, and when it looked like he was gonna wimp out I had a viciousest of murderposts lined up and ready to go, but in the event he did not. Let's see who won the grudge match.

quote:

Magnificent7 - The Love Of My Life Is A Rotten Goody Two Shoes Who Should Die From Cancer Of The Aids Of The Eyeballs. - 1,000 Words.
Using this kind of internet speak is almost never a good idea.
“Well look what the cat coughed up!”

Clay elbowed my ribs and nodded down the sidewalk. You do a lot of one sentence paras, and it makes it kind of painful to read, especially when you take a while to get to the point.

We looked through the steam rising from the Little Caesars parking lot. It stopped raining thirty minutes earlier and now we were settling in for our liquid breakfast. She emerged through the mist like one of them Whitesnake videos. Strutting in a tight dress, her hair short and puffed up nice. This is a tight para.

“Tina! Look at you!”

“I was in the neighborhood and thought I’d find you guys back here.”
redundant

I’d never seen her look this nice. She smiled, and her complete set of gleaming white teeth surprised me and Clay both. redundant, you go on to have your characters convey this

“You got teeth!" Clay shouted. "You look great!”

Oh I don’t know. You think so?” She touched her new teeth for a second, then fiddled with an earring.

Are you kidding? I’ve never seen you in a dress before.”
redundant

I lowered the bottle down between me and Clay. the last four words are actually crucial here, and convey a lot of character. If she’d cleaned up, wasn’t no point rubbing it in her face. “You look really good, Tina.”

Tina said, “So, Joe, you doing okay?”

“Yea, I do alright. You remember how it is; enjoying the scenery, doing some people watching.” I scratched my stomach and then pulled my t-shirt down over my beer gut. She picked a bad day to stop by. nice

Tina used to be one of us. We’d spent all summer back here behind the Little Caesars, drinking, getting high and dining on the leftovers when Eric managed the night shift.

“Wow, I’ve missed you guys.”

“So? What happened to you?” Clay said.

“I cleaned up!”

“Again?”

She smacked his shoulder. “That’s not nice! I did it for good this time. I started back at AA. And I found a good man.” I like your setup, and all your incidental detail is great, but your dialogue is way too bland. Don't write like people speak, write like people speak in good books.

That stung a little. It was subtle, hell, I bet Clay didn’t catch it, but I did. And it hurt.

He said, “Well good for you. It's about time one of us got sober. What about this new man? Is he nice to you?”

She nodded and her fingertips went to her new teeth again. “He takes care of me.” She looked over her shoulder at the car and said, “He’s inside, waiting on a pizza. I told him I had to make a call.”

Clay picked up the bottle and took a sip. As he handed it to me he said, “It’s good to see you again. We was worried something bad happened to you.”

“Oh, wow. I’m sorry about that." She looked down and rubbed the back of her hand. "I woke up one morning and that was it. I had to change. It was hard leaving you guys behind. But Richard’s nice. He helped me out.”

She couldn’t stop poking me with that one.

I swirled the bottle and took a sip. The burn of the vodka felt good. If she wasn’t standing there, I’d have gulped down the whole thing. nice.

Tina said, “Joe, I want y’all to come with me.”

“Where? To Richard’s house? He takes care of men too?” Clay laughed at that.

Ignoring my jab, she said, “Come with me back to a meeting. It’s a good group. It’s different. Richard runs it, that’s how we met. He helped me a lot those first few weeks when I didn’t have anywhere to go.”

Another little stab. She must've been planning for this moment. Over the summer, I was the one who took care of her. She had a place to go; it was here with me. Maybe I never drove her around or put her in fancy dresses, but I kept her safe. Up until the morning I woke up when she was gone.

“Tina, you never even stopped by to say hey. You just disappeared.”

“I had to. If I came back, I don’t think I’d been able to leave again. But that’s long ago. What do you say? Come with me?”

“Sorry, but I like who I am. I don’t need to clean up.”

She pulled at her watch, turning it around her wrist.

“Come on Joe, this isn’t living. You’re hiding back here from your own demons. Hell, I know I did. But it doesn’t have to be like this.”

“I appreciate it, but I like it here.” I took another sip. “We had some good times, you and me, right? I took care of you, didn’t I?”

“Well — sure — but we all deserve better than this.”

Clay reached for the bottle. “Joe, we’re almost out man, go easy.”

“We’ll get another one Clay, it don’t matter.” haha, I love this he is all lordly like. these two lines are good dialogue

I took another sip, a good long one, then I screwed the lid on tight.

“I like who I am. I’m happy. And, who are you coming down here anyhow? You think you’re better than us now?”

She got quiet. Her eyes went glassy, and for a moment I saw my old Tina. “I messed up Joe. I messed up bad. I had a drink, and then a few more drinks.” huh? I don't understand this bit

Clay said, “Hey, it’s okay Tina. It happens to the best of us, we’re all human. But look at you! You lost weight, you found teeth. You’re doing good yeah?” blah

She smiled, and then glanced over her shoulder again. “It was stupid. I don’t know what I was thinking.” She wiped her face. “I guess I should go.” put the same person talking into the same para, always After she hugged Clay physicalize this to convey character - does she kneel, does he stand up awkwardly, does she get her dress dirty? does that bother her?, she turned to ask me one last time. “Sure you won’t come with me?”

“This Richard guy, does he know where you come from? Back here with us I mean?”

She shook her head. Her eyes got glassy again. She started to say something, but a man called out from the car. “There you are, Cris!”

I whispered, “That’s him? You’re Cris now?”

She nodded, wiped her eyes and smiled.

“Be there in a minute dear. I was just giving these men some change.”

She gave us twenty bucks.

--

I never even got to hug her. We crossed the street and got a case of Budweisers. Back behind Little Caesars, Clay popped a beer and said, “One of these days, Joe, I’m going to get clean. I’m serious. This ain’t living.”

“Reminds me of a poem, Clay.
Quaintest thoughts and queerest fancies
Come to life and fade away;
What care I how time advances?
I am drinking ale today.”

Clay gulped down the beer and said, “Look at you all fancy! Shakespeare?”

“Poe. Gimme a beer.” Eh, scraping in the prompt there.

There's quite a bit of merit in this one, even though it doesn't quite know what target it's swinging at and therefore has trouble hitting it. You have lots of good details about the physicality of sitting outside being a drunken bum, which is great, but the dialogue is too banal; and sure, that's possibly the point, but you need to be able to make banal chitchat interesting otherwise you should not be writing it. The form 'X?' 'X. Y?' 'Y. Z?' is actually close to how people talk, but it is super dull to read. Have your characters go on digressions, contradict each other, mishear each other, challenge each other. Make each of these things reveal character. If you find your characters are spouting banal crap, then cut it or compress it.

Also I'm left a little confused by 'Cris' talking about her fall from grace at the end - hasn't she left her life of booze behind? This bit should be cut or clarified. However the wounded dignity of the spurned hobo lover is pretty great, and forms the heart of the piece - I'd be interested in seeing you take another run at it and focusing on that from the start, without all the fluff dialogue.

As a minor point, if you got someone talking then put all their lines into the same paragraph.

quote:

Cantata Mortis SONG OF DEATH, LATIN FANS

Life ends, as do all things. Whether that end comes sooner or later isn’t always up to us. IN HONOUR OF PORTENTOUS NATURE OF FIRST TWO LINES WILL RENDER CRITS IN CAPITALS Pierre knew that better than most, perhaps – or maybe he didn’t know at all, and that was why they’d found him sprawled facedown in a gutter beneath his apartment window. He’d still held a pen in his inkstained left hand. IF THIS IS V:TM FANFIC UR SO BUSTED

I sat in his studio amid a sprawl of fifty EXACTLY. I COUNTED THEM. I AM V NUMERATE PROTAGsheets of erased paper, while the fireplace sat cold and empty. Why not burn them, if he didn’t want them? He'd erased some so roughly they were crumpled and torn; it wasn't as though he intended to reuse them.

Anette set a tray of teapot and cups beside me and looked over my shoulder at the paper I'd just rubbed graphite over. “Mom, where's that one go?”

Words showed in relief: child, why are you so cold? “Third pile,” I said, and she set it on top of the rest that opened with similar lines. GOOD? OR BAD? NOT SURE? WHY AM I SUPPOSED TO CARE WHAT PILE IT GOES ON?

All these pages were revisions of song verses, his finished progress kept in a hand-bound book propped on a music stand. It ended mid-verse in a jittering line. There were several points like that. For each of them I’d found drafts beginning at the interruption, and organized them into several stacks on the floor in front of the fireplace. Most of them belonged to the last unfinished stanza. I wondered which draft had finally made him throw himself from the window. Lord knew all poets were already at least half-mad without their creativity blocked. THIS IS ALL FAIRLY DULL SO FAR

My second day, I found a candidate on a sheet hidden under the edge of his rug. In the margin, in scrawling letters unlike the rest of his handwriting, he'd left a note: THEY ARE NOT REAL.

Maybe it hadn't just been writer's block that drove him out the window. I frowned at it. He was odd, for certain – but surely he hadn't gone mad in a year? I moved his furniture and rolled up the carpet, but found nothing else. IS HE LOOKING FOR A TRAPDOOR OVER A SECRET PASSAGE LEADING TO THE POINT OF THIS STORY

I'd known him, but not well. Several years ago, long before this started, he came to my door with a notebook in hand and asked if I could play him the latest melody he'd written. He said he had no talent for instruments, only writing the words and music. He sat by my piano, propped the book in front of me with an inkwell and frowned at the floor while I played. I barely remembered the tune, something in a minor key that toyed with discordant notes. I liked parts of it, and told him as much. He'd thanked me and wandered back to his studio, his brow furrowed all the while. AN ODD YET DULL INTERLUDE

A week later he back with the lyrics and a changed melody. I played it for him once again, and this time, sang. The images stayed with me though I'd forgotten the exact words. A man on the street with holes in his shoes who patted a growling dog. A traveler of many lands whose only friend in the end was the grass. Pierre again sat staring at the floor. He didn't frown. When he left, he thanked me with the briefest of smiles. I never heard more of that song. I AM STILL BORED WHAT HAS HAPPENED YET NOTHINGS

This poem, though, was a string of nonsense verses about childhood. Another poet might have known what they meant, but I was no poet. Other people wrote songs; I just played them. I found notation on the third day, but only one legible line of it. The rest had been scribbled over. I copied the stanza down and hummed it. An odd tune. I compared it to the words until I was sick of hearing the same bit of melody and Anette complained about me repeating it, but it was no use; I couldn't find where it belonged. YAWNY MCYAWN A SCION OF THE CLAN YAWN

The days passed and I spent more time in that studio. Bits of melody stayed in my mind all waking hours, kept me awake at night, entered my dreams when I did sleep. In those dreams I saw Pierre, hands clenched in his hair in front of the fire. He tapped a rhythm on the floor and beat his fists against his head as the words refused to come. As something else did come. Something he didn't want, couldn't bear, that lurked at the edges of his imagination, that was itself and many others all one and wanted him as One of Ones. I woke up sweating but couldn't have said why. OKAY SORT OF LOVECRAFTIAN CREEPIES BUT V GENERIC

Anette wanted me to read to her, but I could only think of the poem, and she said it was creepy and she didn't want to hear it anymore. I stared at the notation and slammed my fists on the table and paced the room, humming and scattering sheets in my wake. Nothing sounded right. It wasn't right, wasn't real needed to be real. THIS IS CRAZY MELODRAMATIC

A week later, Anette refused to come with me to the studio, and my pen ran out of ink. OOOOOH CHEKHOV'S FOUNTAINPEN I picked up the first one I found on his desk, but it didn't write. I opened it to refill it and smelled something rancid. The inside was packed with something reddish-brown. I recapped it and threw it into the wastebasket, then buried it under crumpled paper NICE DETAIL.

Pierre's message had been scrawled in blood ink.

Didn't make sense. I had to know what had driven him. I wrote the notation on different sheets and shuffled them in front of the book until musical staffs merged together and notes became spiders that crawled across the sheet until I looked away and they were still again. I stared at the notation and hummed a new line in a different order, and I had it. The song clicked into place like a piece in Anette's jigsaw puzzle. I snatched paper and pen and wrote it down, staff and notes all. The words fit it. At long last. I flipped to the first page, and sang the poet’s last song from the beginning.

The melody flowed through my mind. The words rolled off my tongue, in a language I knew yet didn’t know. The words he’d written didn’t mean what I thought they’d meant. They didn’t even mean what he’d meant them to. I saw him at his desk, crouched over a paper out of reach of the sun. He wanted to write about a childhood lost and found, love crossed and returned, but the words were not his own. No matter how he tried, the poem ran away from him, and he felt it growing. Whispering in his ear. Tapping his shoulder. Write, it demanded. Write us into the world. We exist through you, you exist for us.

Sing, it demanded of me as the words ran from me like water. I heard the melody, alien, twisting, clawing. Sing us into the world. We are you. You are us. This song was theirs. It was Pierre’s, but it was never Pierre’s. It was mine but never mine, never meant to be mine but here I was and there they were and they needed me to sing as they’d needed Pierre to write or they couldn’t exist, couldn’t come into reality like I was. They wanted that reality, flesh borrowed from words that described humanity, souls taken from stories of love and loss, but they didn’t understand any of it. They knew the words but they did not feel the words. I felt the words, but did not know them, but that was okay, I only needed to sing for them, weave them their flesh and their spirit and draw them into the One I was One with them and they were part of One and One and One and infinite Ones through worlds of song and music and melody they could not make because they could not feel could not understand could not Be part of World they wanted Me and Them become Us my flesh Theirs my soul Theirs my song Theirs the world Theirs hunger Theirs devour Theirs

tears burned My flesh

silence

I opened my eyes.

Anette clung to me. The song cracked, memory fractured. I was still me, and me alone, standing next to the open window and my daughter was hugging me and crying.

That was what Pierre had tried to escape. Why he'd erased his work, why he had thrown himself from the window rather than let Them use him. I found my own words. “Honey-”

“Burn them,” she sobbed.

They didn’t want it burned.

I swept up the paper, threw them into the fire and lit it. They howled, They raged, but They were not real. I hugged Anette to my chest and listened to paper crackle.

OKAY, back out of caps. You manage to pull this one back together with a pretty tight and effective ending, but up to where my snarky comments stopped is how long it took to get interesting, and that's too long. You're telling a rote Lovecraftian tale, and although that does revolve around the weird emerging from the mundane, that does not give you license to bore.

I also think there's a problem with how predictable this sort of thing is these days - weird sanity destroying writings are ten a penny. You executed it well enough at the end, but I think you could have made it better by having (e.g.) some actual human resonance with the three fairly characterless people you have in the story. But decently well written for what it was.

:siren:Judgment:siren:

Mag7 wrote a lot of bad stuff here and then wrote a story that was really quite impressive before quittin' us for NaNo, and I'm glad to see there's still the good juice in his stuff. I liked the actual story he was telling, and the economy and grittiness of the words he used to describe elements of it, but he was let down by some deeply flaccid dialogue and a life-destroying addiction to the Enter key. Paragraphs should be longer than a sentence dude.

Echo Cian has a more consistent output in this place, and has done some pearlers, but this isn't one of them. While it's competently written and ends with a fine sizzle and and well-stuck landing, it's generic by-the-numbers Lovecraft-lite.

However placed side by side it's hard to deny that one is a better working prose machine than the other. Victory to Echo Cian.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Radioactive Bears posted:

I don't seem to be capable of writing anything that doesn't seem at least slightly, mildly offensive. Gonna drop.

This is the worst reason not to write something.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Purple Prince posted:

I wanted to highlight an issue lying in the background of this story. Not exactly a critique more a 'these background assumptions seem problematic'.

highlighting background issues is not what thunderdome is for and nor is identifying background assumptions as problematic

crit, write, or shittalk.

that is all.

(take it up in fiction farm if you want to continue this)

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Radioactive Bears posted:

I am down to brawl, Bitchtits McGee.

I will judge. 650 words on this quote: "There is no human quality more attractive than the courage of the weak". Do not make it either maudlin or cheesy. Due next Tues, 11.59 PST.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

yeah, in

Edit: delete the self effacing stuff foutre. you are a tdome judge. noone can say poo poo to you.

sebmojo fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Dec 17, 2013

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Mercedes posted:

:siren:THE LEPER COLON V VS NO LONGER FLAKY BRAWL:siren:

I am a bit of an art guy. I like looking at pictures and poo poo. Your brawl is simple.

Picture 1 -

Picture 2 -

Pick a picture as your inspiration and give me 500 words.

You have until next week Tuesday 11:59 pm EST.

Extra points if you make it a drawing room comedy set in the Regency period.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Mercedes posted:

Leper, how about this. After I finish my current brawl, I'm gonna have about a week of free time where I, hypothetically, would be open for a grudge match. If you, hypothetically speaking of course, wanna step in the ring, hypothetically, I would not say no.

I would only do the hypothetical scenario above if you're willing to lose a second time.

Cause I would crush you, you see.

Hypothetically, anyways.

I will judge this.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

sebmojo posted:

Extra points if you make it a drawing room comedy set in the Regency period.

Lawn Care
492 words

Pemberly Chelmsford-Crouton was drowning upright, as a brave man should. To his left was arrayed toast, marmalade and his least favourite aunt; to his right the alarmingly elucidated Miss Petunia, heir to the Westchester Stockinghamforths. Both were a-glitter with terrible purpose.

“Pemberly,” she said. “Your antics have caused me dismay in recent times. That nonsense with the chicken in the teapot, the exploding bottle debacle at the village fete, I could go on.” Her lips were pursed, as though at sight of an importunate parishioner or a leper. “I will be frank; you are past the age when a man ought to take a wife. Petunia, here, is in need of a suitable man and, while I can only admit to your suitability with the gravest of caveats, you are inarguably a man. Accordingly—“

The conversational pin upon which Pemberly’s future was about to be transfixed went unplanted because, at that moment, the earth rumbled, table shook and his least favourite aunt received a lapful of Lapsang Souchong.

The aunt shrieked, Miss Petunia squealed and Pemberly leapt to his feet with an alacrity driven at least partly by an eagerness to avoid any residual ire from the deity that had so precisely answered his prayers. “Willocks!” he cried, but the doorhandle was jerked away from him before he could grasp it. Standing in the doorway was Willocks.

“Sir, there has been an untoward occurrence on the croquet lawn.”

Pemberly called back over his shoulder to the table, where Miss Petunia was mopping at the spillage with a doily in an ineffectual yet heartfelt way. “Dreadfully sorry – croquet lawn - must attend” The door closed behind them and he clapped Willocks on the shoulder. “Thanks old chap, most imaginative. If you could send a maid to assist, I can get Jonks the groundskeeper to bring the coach up and they should be on their--.”

Willocks swept open the curtains that opened on the croquet lawn. Towering over the well-cut turf and wire hoops of the lawn was a monstrous snake-like shape, fully forty feet high, chitinous outgrowths and crenellations outlining it against the bright morning sky. In its toothed maw it held a struggling prey which, with a gnash of its mandibles, it bisected and swallowed.

Pemberly cleared his throat. “Was… was that Jonks?” Willocks nodded. “Cancel that plan then. We shall wait five, no ten minutes and then you may advise my aunt I suggested a nice game of croquet.”

sebmojo fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Dec 29, 2013

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

dope

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Mercedes posted:

sebmojo, give me a few more days before you drop the next brawl on me. I'll be on the road a ton for Christmas and I won't be able to write anything.

No worries.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

DOGBRAWL

Dog Dreams
750 words

Spring in Wellington is a howling season; hot eager winds roar down from Indonesia and plough the hills, upend the city's green recycling bins, make each abandoned plastic bag into a weightless ballerina.

And, behind those winds, the dog dreams come lolloping in.

Colin McFarland woke up one Spring morning to see his wife, Felicity, looking at him with the cool pale eyes of a Weimaraner. She muttered something about long limbs let loose and the smell of the sea, and then the wind lifted her up and out of his life.

"Why, why, why," he had said.

"You will never not be you," she had replied, zipping up her suitcase. "It's not bad but it's not good. Goodbye, Colin."

Colin woke in a tangle of bedclothes two months after she left, curled up like a question mark around the side his wife used to sleep on. The wind was still trying to shake the little wooden house off the hill. He stared at the ceiling and did not howl or punch the wall.

He had dreamed of a dog, his uncle's fat black and white border collie, spreadeagled, exhausted, on the grass. Colin and his brother had made it run and run, chasing a frisbee back and forth between them. It would not stop running because collies do not stop.

Colin struggled into a black and white jersey with a fake All Blacks logo, sucked in his belly and pulled on some shorts. Outside it was bright and blustering. He plodded up the road to the cafe.

Sally the tattooed barista had eyes as dark and heavy as a cloudy afternoon with the rain coming in. Colin smiled at her, watched her play the coffee machine like a pianist for a while.

"Going for a run," he said.

"How's Felicity," said Sally. "Haven't seen her round."

"Can I have a long black," said Colin.

His chagrin took two thirds of a long black to fade. "Sorry, Sally. Felicity left. Don't know why. Finding herself or something. If she'd asked I could have told her where she was."

Sally grimaced in sympathy, squeezed herself out a flat white with a few masterful flicks and twists, then brought it over to sit with him. The little cafe only had the two of them in it. Outside the wind was batting the 'Keen Bean Cafe' sign around, peevish at the closed door.

"I swear this place goes doolally when the spring winds come through," she said, blowing a dimple in her foam. "Had a customer, business dude, stops in every morning for a takeaway latte. Two days ago he didn't come in. They found him in his pyjamas in Anderson Park, covered in leaves".

Colin's eyes widened. "Were there suspicious circumstances? Or do they think he'd just... had enough?"

Sally looked puzzled for a moment then laughed throatily. "Oh, nah, he was fine. Just embarassed. Never sleepwalked before."

The bell on the door dinged as a customer came in, a tattooed Maori man in a fluoro vest. Sally drained her coffee and winked at Colin. "Hang in there. I'll tell Felicity off if I see her."

Colin was still smiling when he got home from his run, had a shower, called in sick, turned on the Xbox. Apart from maybe a small area behind the counter of the Keen Bean, he decided, the world had nothing to offer him so it could take care of itfuckingself.

He went to bed late, drunk, dressed in his clothes, and dreamed a dog dream, running in a pack. All around him were boisterous doggy yelpings, flashing doggy eyes, rich doggy smells. They were running to a place and it was a good place because it was the place they were running to.

When he woke up there was a light in the sky. He was outside, shiveringly cold, the wind playing with his hair.

"Hello again," carolled a voice he knew. He blinked, focussed. It was Sally, walking down the hill. She cocked her head. "Another sleepwalker?"

"Least I'm not in my 'jammies."

She shook her head. "Just weird. Come on, I'll walk you down the hill."

They walked, and talked, and Colin began to think Sally would not object if he took her hand. He did; she did not. And so it went.

Now they are not always so calm or kind, these dreams of dogs that blow in on the rough north wind.

But we all still miss them when they are gone, in the long tongue-lolling days of summer.

sebmojo fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Dec 29, 2013

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Trifecta
900 words

Did I mention the time I met myself? Bugger of a thing.

I'd been out the pub, bit of pool, few beers, and truth be told when I got home the key had got bigger or the lock had got smaller; as the actress said to the bishop, heh. So there I was, fumbling round on my porch, just about ready to give up and break in through my own toilet window, when a light goes on inside the house.

I probably should have been more worried about getting home invaded or what have you, but being three sheets to the wind I just stood there swaying; and blow me down if the door didn't swing open and there I was standing in front of me, just as real as you can imagine, wearing some sort of silvery tinfoil arrangement. Real as I am right now, odd clobber and a few more grey hairs notwithstanding.

Well at that point everything went black, as they say in the stories, but I came to on the couch with me dooplegonger fanning me with a a copy of the Turf Gazette.

We have a terrible problem, says he.

And what is that, I reply?

He flips open the Gazette and points to the date, which is fifty years from now. He calls it a "manual for the apocalypse" because it turns out, he says, that what we call 'bookies' are no such thing.

As I sit there on my old Chesterfield, blinking from time to time, he tells me that bookmakers are all agents of a "intergalactic conspiracy to use probability to manipulate the fabric of reality itself". When they work out the odds of, say, Butterfly Kiss coming in second at the Spring Trots in Trentham they're also putting a few numbers to their big balance sheet. And when they finally make the numbers add up: bam, it's scratch time for the world.

Now this joker, future me I suppose you'd call him, discovered the plot and decided to stop it. And he needed my help. We needed to go to the past and the future and all manner of carry-on.

I take this well as could be expected, with the aid of a few snifters of Jamesons. And after he's shown me the time machine he parked in the spare room and strapped me into the passenger seat, off we went.

Now, the future is an interesting place to visit but I'm not sure I'd want to live there. Everyone flies all the time for a start, just whizzing round like drunk fantails. And you can't get a decent beer and the ciggies are mostly filter. But I conquer these problems manfully, spirit of the blitz etcetera, and we parlay our ability to travel through time and recruit multiple versions of ourselves to place a whacking great set of bets on horses, and cars, and arena fights; did I mention the robot hummingbirds? They have those in the future. Marvellous things.

So one thing leads to another, and the bookies are being bankupted all over the place when, what do you know, we get kidnapped! These fellas all dressed up in black PJs come swooping in the windows, shoot us all with dartguns — which hurt like billy-oh, I don't mind telling you — and next thing you know we're locked up on a great big zeppelin arrangement, high up in the clouds. Quite the pickle! Luckily for us we all did some boxing back in school, so with a bit of pluck we get out of our cells, fight our way to the bridge where we find the head Bookmaker and his conspiratorial mates.

Now this head of the conspiracy fella is a sight to behold, all covered up in tattos like a Maori; but, instead of it being a moko or whatever, it's numbers, just thousands and thousands of numbers all over his body. Don't know how he read the ones on his jacksie, maybe he got someone to read them to him.

Anyway there is a very rousing set-to at this point, with bookies flying through windows and past and future me's giving as good as we get when one of us calls out that we are heading for a volcano! Crikey dick that was a tense moment. The head bookmaker has run off somewhere in the zeppelin, the goons are getting their second wind, it all looked pretty grim.

Now original future me, the one I met in my house, claps me on the shoulder and tells me I need to get out, and that he'll make sure the conspiracy doesn't survive, vis a vis crashing the zeppelin into the volcano. He points me at the time machine which had fortunately been stolen by the bookies when we got kidnapped; I set the time for just after I left and the last thing I see is the volcano erupting underneath the zeppelin.

It was a messy landing, and that time machine will probably never fly again, but at least we stopped the conspiracy.

Anyway, long story short, that is how I came to have this piece of paper with the top three horses at the Melbourne Cup next week; and for the very reasonable price of a double whiskey, I suspect I could be convinced to let you peek at it.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

No Longer Flaky posted:

Hey man, I might be a lovely writer, but the only way I am gonna get better is challenging people who are better than me and then following through with those challenges. I want to thank all y'all for being gracious enough to allow me to post my lovely work on here and giving criticisms.

Happy holidays everyone in this thread!

The brawlfrenzy has been fun as hell, and happy fuckin' Christmas to all.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

foutre posted:

Oh thank god I thought that was a lot.

Yeah, while you want to get the results out fast (24-36 hours), the crits can wait for a day or two more.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

With the end of the 2013 thread hoving into view and Fumblemouse's epic slamdown still ringing in our ears, let's call it there for kayfabe until the next thread.

Thanks to kaishai and crabrock for their amazing efforts on the tdome writerly site, all the fighting fools who brawled and lost, the mods for all the losertars, the original three, wherever the hell they got to, and all the glorious assholes who make up the thread.

This isn't really a thunderdome for people, it's a dome for words; but you don't get one without the other.

Roll on 2014, fuckers.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Chairchucker posted:

Fast judgin's good judgin', also Merry Christmas from THE FUTURE.

Drinkin a beer at 11 in th mornin down here it is pretty ok

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Noah posted:

I hope more next years challenges coincide with lit mag calls for submissions.

Yep. Those are always good weeks.

If anyone else has things they do or don't want to see in Thunderdome now is the time.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

crabrock posted:

SH is posting the new thread and Kaoshai is posting second part with results/archive days correct?

The only thing i think TD is missing is a mandatory toxx to enter the week after you sign up but fail to submit. Real men (and manly women) already voluntarily do it. Excuses and multiweek failures are becoming too commonplace.

The current blood empress of tdome posting the new thread makes sense.

I agree about the :toxx: for multiple failed subs; it seems an elegant way around the problem, since if you're really worried about the ban you can always write your story before submitting.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Foutre, we gonna get a judgment? You don't have to have all the crits yet, just tell us w/l/hm/dm (if any).

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

In.

Brawls are traditionally a little looser in timing, but in this as all the judge is paramount.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Bitchtits McGee posted:

Nobody's said "submissions closed" yet, so I'm in.

sebmojo posted:

I will judge. 650 words on this quote: "There is no human quality more attractive than the courage of the weak". Do not make it either maudlin or cheesy. Due next Tues, 23 Dec, 11.59 PST.

Radioactive Bears. Bitchtits McGee. You owe me a brawl.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

LeperMerc Brawl

And so do Mercedes and Lepeper Colon.

500 words, on this Gene Wolfe quote: "our greatest sin is that we are only capable of being what we are". Due next Sunday 4 Jan or w/e, midnight PST.

LCV NOTE: This should be a good story and not bullshit

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Hunter-Gatherer’s Delight

472 words

Boz Ham-Knot settled back onto his favourite rock above the Useless Plants. The flaming Sky Boulder was rolling down the sky and the Hills of the Stone People were a stained a beautiful deep... hm. He frowned.

"Grarr Dan-Knug. What we call dat stuff." He gestured hillward with his hollow Ceremonial Pointing Stick.

"Hills, Boz. Dat hills," said Grarr happily.

Boz rolled his eyes and flicked the Ceremonial Pointing Stick up in a deft arc, clipping his nephew's prognathous jaw with the tip. "No, stupid Grar. What... uh... thing that makes things like other things but stay same. Like, uh, leaf like leaf."

Grarr rubbed his jaw and pondered the problem. "We could maybe call it... colour? Leafs is leaf colour just like other leafs is leaf colour?"

"'Colour'." Boz rolled the word round his mouth, tapping his hollow stick on the ground. "Yeah, dat work for me. So, what colour dat?"

"Maybe... maybe Sacred Holy Fire colour?" Grarr took a prudent step back.

"Grarr you Neanderthal numbnuts. Not same at all. Fetch me some of Sacred Holy Fire and I show your dumb rear end. Quick, before Sky Boulder disappear."

Boz watched through the stick's hole as Grarr scampered down through the swaying Useless Plants to the Sacred Holy Fire pit where they kept the magic beast that had fallen from the heavens many moon times ago. A few moments later he reemerged, shielding a flickering glow of Sacred Holy Fire in his hands.

Then halfway up the slope disaster struck. Grarr stumbled, fell, and the Sacred Holy Fire fell too. It skittered, rolling down through the Useless Plants, one of which promptly caught fire; it had been a long and hot summer. "loving stupid idiot fuckhead," said Boz evenly to himself, standing up. He strode down the path to where Grarr was flapping at the flaming vegetation, and pulled the plant out of the ground. "This colour nothing like hills, Grarr. Also, you dumb and useless. Also--" Boz sniffed. The smell was weird, intoxicating, delightful. The fading colour of the hills seemed suddenly richer, more meaningful. "Huh." The two cavemen looked at each other with pupils suddenly wide and black as the night sky.

Boz laid the plant in front of his favourite rock and, driven by a sudden impulse, pointed his Stick at the still smoking remnants and sucked in a great choking lungful, holding it as long as he could before exhaling it in a billowing curlicue of smoke. "Dat da good poo poo right dere." He passed the Ceremonial Pointing Stick over to Grarr. "These no Useless Plants, nephew. You have discovered that. You good nephew. From now on they... they called Danknug Plants. The Danknug Plants of the Stone People. Has good sound to it."

Grarr exhaled his own toke, then smiled, then laughed, at being so honoured.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

crabrock posted:

:siren: SUBMISSIONS CLOSED again :siren:

Looks like our only failure this week is Bitchtits McFailure.

WHO BETTER BE STUMPIN' UP WITH A BRAWL PIECE SOON ALSO, SIMILARLY TO RADIOACTIVE FUCKIN FAILUREBEAR

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Kaishai posted:

It's been a pleasure hanging out here this year, getting to know the taste of some of your livers while fighting to keep my own intact. May 2014 bring us just as much blood, weeping, and glory.

But fewer poo poo geysers. Please, Baby New Year, I've been so good.

Hello "brawl queen".

Do not get too comfortable on your bed of skulls and bloody wire. I am coming for you.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Happy fuckin New Year from the land of the first light you glorious bastards

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

No Longer Flaky posted:

Ok, I think I'll wait until either I have 5 brawl wins or 1 thunderdome win. I think I definitely wrote the worst piece in the last contest, but I feel like my writing is already becoming better through participating in this thread, and all the new deadlines I have every week.

The sentiment is fine, but keep this sort of musing out of the next thread; just write the stories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

No Longer Flaky posted:

That's why it's in this thread.

Fair enough. We cool, blood. (bumps fists awkwardly)

• Locked thread