Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost
I'm probably going to regret this: I'm in.

"I'll walk to the depths of the deepest black forest"

DreamingofRoses fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Dec 4, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost

DreamingofRoses posted:

I'm probably going to regret this: I'm in.

"I'll walk to the depths of the deepest black forest"

I knew I was going to regret that.

Sorry, guys, I've been trying and I've got like a third of it down, but there's no way it's going to be done by Sunday English time.

I'll be back after the 16th when my exams are over.

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost
I should've just focused on writing. Clearly not finishing my prompt did not help my grade at all.

Oh, and this "crabrock" fellow,

You want a go? I'll have a go with you. Bring it. (Won't win, but I'll do it.)

I like your .gif crits.

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost
In for the Thunderdome prompt as well.

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost
Yeah, I know it sucks and is late. This is the final thing after changing my mind a dozen times. I'll take my lumps for writing like crap.

The Tallest Tale (786 words)

It happens when I fall asleep, I wake up somewhere, sometime different. It’s weird, y’know, never knowing if something I learn about somewhen else’s history is related to me doing something that I don’t know about yet.

Like that time I learned about ‘Whirlwind Wendy’ and how she broke a whole herd of wild Mustangs in a single night after singing a supercell tornado back to a mild breeze with a lullaby and damming a river that flooded its banks due to the aforementioned tornado with a couple of logs, spit and a can-do spirit. I learned about her in the year nineteen forty-something. Imagine my surprise after a couple of--well, I calls them ‘sleeps’--and I woke up in late 1800’s Montana. ‘Whirlwind Wendy’ is not my name, by the way. I never gave it to the cowboys before I fell asleep, they just made one up for me.

It’s weirder if I connect something I already done in me-time to a history I’ve only just arrived at. Like that time I put down a robot uprising in 3022, going by the standard Earth history, by uploading a high-tech fancy virus thingy to a couple of key robots, disabled a terrorist cell aiding the robots by getting one of them ‘droids to turn traitor for a kiss and saved the head of the big-bad-government at the time by pulling him from a burning wreckage. I arrived back in the same general area in 3105, by the same calender, to find that the laws on A.I. and robot independence were still in play. Oh, and a nice little memorial garden at the Galactic Council headquarters, or whatever they called themselves.

And then I just have those times when I go ‘is this really happening’? Like that time I woke up in the time before history thought to start and a T-Rex tried to eat me, so I had to kick its teeth in. Stupid lizard. Still got the scars from that if you wanna see’em later.

Anyways, you was asking about me and the park, right? Why I was staggering around like I’d be drinking rotgut straight from the still and harassing the dogs? Well, it’s kinda embarrassing, but here goes. So, you probably don’t know this but in 200 years, give-or-take a couple decades, a breed of dog that can think just like a human is gonna be bred. And by-and-large they are a bunch of raging a-- Ahem. Entitled mutts. And they’re more than happy to let you know it. That’ll be relevant in a bit.

So, as you might imagine, never being able to sleep unless I want to wind up elsewhere, and with my life in possible danger, could be a little trying on a girl like me. I will say, although it is not good for me, alcohol has been my best friend these many traveling years. Unfortunately, in some times, alcohol has been almost eradicated on a large scale for drinking purposes. ‘Civilized society moving on’ and all that. So, I was in 2250, just looking for a drink since they moved away from actual food and drink to this weird 3-d printed nutrient paste that tastes like shi-- crap since resources are so scarce and all. Well, you know human nature, if something’s forbidden you can always find it somewhere.

There was this little still in a back-alley run by two people who looked like they could barely put two-and-two together. I deserved what I got for drinking what came out of it, trouble and a gigantic headache which turned into a hangover when y’all found me. Well, anyway, after getting some of the rot-gut and rejoining polite society such as it is in 2250, a damned police hound--uh, no offense to present company meant--sniffs me and calls me out for drinking. I got run all over town by that stupid mutt and then a bunch of other dogs join in because they’re ‘good citizens’ and they can’t have a ‘menace’ like me on the streets.

I must've passed out from that rotgut since the next thing I know I’m not in a cell but in a park. And then I saw all those furry mongrels and I saw red. It’s not my best moment, I will admit, but those furry little bastards were a pain in every part of my brain, and I wanted to get back at them in any way possible. I’m sorry if I scared anyone. I definitely didn’t mean to do that.

On my oath, officers, this is the truth, not a single lie did I tell. Don’t believe me? Put in a cell and see if I’m there in the morning.

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost

Kaishai posted:

Reminding DreamingofRoses and crabrock that they owe us some mermen within an hour and twenty minutes. Merry Christmas, thread!

You know what's amazing? Trying to open the document with your story in it only to find an earlier half-written version and then going on a 2-hour hunt to see if you can find the other version which is time you could have spent rewriting it.

:suicide:

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost
Late and an auto-loss, but I'll be damned if I didn't finish it.

Mamas Don't Let Your Spawn Grow Up To Be Fish-Herders (1,046 words)

The silver flashing of double-finned fish that were twice the length and height of any merman caught the eye of Triton, the fish-herder, entrancing him briefly. He let his mind wander as he took a bite of fish jerky, chewing on it thoughtlessly before shaking his head to clear it. He whistled a couple of long notes, the signal for the herder-dolphins to return to the school from wherever they had swam off to during the rest-period, frowning when they didn’t return.

”Hey, Gup,” Aric, an older merman with graying hair braided up with shells and seaweed swam up to Triton’s side. ”Quit shallow-basking and help me get this school moving while we got some light in the shallows.”

”I ain’t a guppy no more Aric, so quit calling me that. I weren’t shallow-basking. I been whistling to the dolphins for fifteen minutes now, and they ain’t budging.”

”Leave ‘em. You may not have seen but there’ve been some wild dolphins following us ever since the last reef. They’ll keep up with us and hopefully do us the benefit of keeping the crazy wild ones away. You got your spear?”

”Yessir,” Triton patted his belt where the short length of wood and sharpened flint rested. His spear wasn’t as long as some others, but it was easier to throw and hit things with in a closer distance.

”Good, move out,” Aric took his position at the back of the school with his own longer spear out, leaving Triton with the actual work.

He didn’t like the ‘shortcut’ Aric had taken over the trench in order to get . It was dangerous down there, and who knew what the hell was staring at them from the blackness. He was sure they looked like a tasty meal, a huge buffet just all bunched together. Not to mention this was probably one of the most barren stretches of water Aric could have found, so anything that was really hungry, well there was really only one choice, wasn’t there? Those dolphins that were following them proved that.

”’We’ll find a current and be back with the tribe in no time,’” Triton imitated what the more experienced merman had said before they left the last campsite, earning a look that was equal parts amused and annoyed. He shook his head and began circling the school, clicking at the skittish fish to get them swimming forward.

”We will, it’ll just be a few more leagues to the south. I been here more times’n I can count. Don’t go gettin’ your tail in a twist, green-gill.”

”Really? And that trench down there never caused you no concern?”

”Nope, ain’t nothing down there that wants to mess with us,” Aric called cheerfully. ”But those wild dolphins are a piece of work if you ain’t careful, so pay attention to what you’re doing.”

The tense trip away from the wild dolphin pod and towards the ‘current’ in the south proved fairly calm, with only one dolphin making it through to the school. It got a lucky bite in on one of the huge fish, causing a large cloud of red to bloom around the fish and send the rest of the school scattering. Arick smacked the dolphin on the tail as it began to eat, chittering. It turned to lunge at the merman through the water only to be stopped by Triton’s spear appearing in its side. Triton barely managed to grab his spear back as the dolphin fled, leaving another trail of blood in the fairly-clear water.

”Nice throw, Gup,” Aric retied his spear to his own pack. ”Now let’s get the school together and get out of here before the sharks show up.”

---

As the light from the shallows grew redder and began to fade, an unspoken agreement rose between the two fish-herders. The mermen began whistling and clicking, sending the dolphins into well-trained movement, gathering the school within a large imaginary sphere. Triton started swimming the perimeter, placing clear seaweed balls full of bio-luminescent algae at predetermined points, patting the more restless fish on the sides and doing a quick gill-and-fin check at the same time.

The school settled and the dolphins took up their standard guard-positions at the edges. Though they weren’t as riled as they had been earlier in the day, there was still something off about their behavior. A little less playful than usual and a little more stressed. Triton rubbed the head of one of the dolphins and frowned as it flinched before chirping happily at him. Something was wrong. It was itching at his back.

”I’ll take first watch, Gup. Maybe if you get some sleep you’ll lose that stick in your drat spawner,” the merman began chewing on a jerked piece of fish meat and began swimming the perimeter of the school, glancing out into the surrounding water as

Triton was shaken awake in a couple of terse movements from Aric. He grumbled as his hand grabbed for the pack still resting on his stomach. ”Already, huh? Stick’s still there, ‘Ric. Maybe if you let me sleep some more--”

”We need to move, Gup. Now. Somethin’s down there,” Aric whistled into the dark for the dolphins and began pushing the school forward, leaving the packs and algae-balloons behind. Only then did Triton really hear the shrill clicking of a dolphin’s distress call and see the frenzy the school had gotten itself into.

A nasty shot of energy tore down Triton’s back, waking him the rest of the way up as he inadvertently looked down into the depths, not seeing anything at first in the darkness. He took a spare glowing algae-balloon and weighed it down with some

A beak the size of Aric materialized out of the darkness as the balloon fell slowly down. The rest of the squid showed up in whatever patches of light the balloon could provide.

Triton stared, muscles locked in place until he felt something wrap around the base of his tail. His screams reached Aric a moment too late as he disappeared into the dark.

The dolphins fled and the school scattered as tentacles of murky blackness rose and engulfed the place where the two mermen had been, leaving the scent of blood and tattered shark-skin shirts behind.

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost

Kaishai posted:

Feedback.

Thank you!

Congratulations, crabrock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost

Sitting Here posted:

New thread is coming down the pipes. You will know it by the new thread that is in CC, mainly. Congrats Roguelike, please post the prompt in the new thread when it appears.

Good job on posting in this thread this year guys, I hope people also post things in next year's thread.

My New Years resolution is to keep owning the poo poo out of you fuckers and you can't stop me

I know I'm new here, but I think I've got a New Year's resolution of my own: Dethrone the queen.

• Locked thread