Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

It is no sign of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

hiddenmovement posted:

This request is seriously not likely to be fulfilled but I'm running low on places to look.

I need a videographer that can work on the 14th of April in Nagoya, Japan. I'm looking at a half day hire, it's for a car show. If you can, please post a portfolio and then I'll get in touch for quotes 'n stuff.

To be clear - you're looking for someone already in Nagoya, Japan, right? You're not posting to find someone willing to fly out? Because I'll definitely hit Japan for a day if you're buying the ticket...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

I know you've already been banned, but the word "commercial" paired with any other word means you pay people for their poo poo. If money is too tight to pay people, then you don't have a business, you have a sweat shop.

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

Jay O posted:

Hey there, goons!

I'm looking for someone versed in After Effects (though other non-linear video software may also be acceptable) to edit together a 60-second trailer for a video game in production. The game is a visual novel, (adventure-game-style, largely text and art) so rather than exhibit gameplay footage, the editor would combine art assets with effects set to music, like you would for a book trailer or kinetic typography video. All game art and the 60-second trailer song will be provided for you. I'm looking to have this done before mid-August, when the project is set to go to kickstarter. (The trailer would be part of the kickstarter video.)

Compensation would be $50-$100 depending on the complexity of the trailer/time commitment.

Info for the game, "Lovely Little Thieves," can be seen here. E-mail me at pangodangogames@gmail.com with an example or two of your past video editing work for inquiries.

Thanks! :)

Hey there! This may not be obvious to you, but this is WAY more than $100 worth of work. $100 is quasi-reasonable for a logo design from an entry-level graphic artist - an animated short is quite a bit more involved than that, even given existing assets.

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

Note the thread title. "Work for Hire/Freelance," not "amateur collaborator/portfolio builder." A lot of people come through thinking that's what it is, and it ain't.

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

Phylodox posted:

Something Awful's great for that, really. There's so little bullshit as opposed to the dedicated freelancing sites I've tried (Guru, 99 Designs) where the client has you do a million revisions and then just abandons their posting without any consequence.

Once did an entire music video on eLance. Got paid for the first milestone, then completed the piece.

Never heard back.

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

ravenkult posted:

Video people! What would you charge to make a 1, 1.5 minute long video for a Kickstarter project? No footage, just fade in/out and pans over images and text (and syncing with narration).

To clarify, I'm not sure what I should be charging.

Just pan and scan, no footage or effects? Like a couple hundred bucks, shouldn't take more than an hour or two. I'm doing one as a favor right now.

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

RCarr posted:

I'd like to get something commissioned!

What I'm looking for is a brand name cereal box, but with the mascot replaced with a specific athlete (mostly the face). Also, some subtle changes to the brand name/slogan.

I will (attempt to) use this to print onto T-shirts, to be sold. That being said, I would require you to transfer full ownership and rights to me as part of the contract (as mutata explained a few posts above me).

I prefer to use Paypal, but if there's another method you prefer, that should be no problem.

Feel free to PM me, or email me at: Ryancarrr at yahoo dot com.

Thanks!

You're asking for things the artist can't give you, namely: the right to the cereal box art, the rights to sell the athlete's likeness, and the copyright to the photo of the athlete. All of these are much more important questions than who owns the copyright of the final composite.

If what you're asking for is a completely original illustration based on the above, you're probably fine under fair use (parody). Still, it's weird to insist on complete ownership of copyright; just because that one hobbyist would be willing to do it doesn't mean most professionals would, and there's no reason you would need it. You'd cast a wider net asking for an exclusive license to sell t-shirts royalty free in perpetuity (IE with no further compensation than the original payment, forever). You could also ask for an exclusive license in all media, but that may be more expensive than specific usage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

RCarr posted:

I was looking for an original illustration, yes. I don't know too much about ownership/copyright laws, so I apologize if I 'm not asking for the right thing. I basically just want to be able to print the image onto t-shirts for sale, legally. I figured I would have to own the rights to the image to do that.

Don't feel bad, and I'm sorry if my post came off as mean or condescending - it certainly wasn't intended to. Nobody expects you to be an expert in intellectual property law, and many professionals harbor misconceptions. I just wanted to help clear some things up for you!