Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!
I'm using Fat Pony's post above as a template for what I'm looking for because its so drat close to where I'm at right now.

I'm pricing (and ultimately hoping to hire) an artist for a mobile game that I've had in the making for 2 years now.

Background on me:
I've been a gamer for my entire life. I developed a game back in early 2000 that netted around $3500, and I was 12 at the time. I did everything from server, client, management, etc.. but not graphics.
My current career is all over the IT world, from help desk to developer to lead ops engineer.. you get the picture (Notice how graphics is not in any of those titles?)

Background on the game:
I'm going into a crowded market, the mobile "push button, wait x time, collect y reward" market. The game that I've got coming together balances a mix of "Farm X, Wait Y minutes, Collect Z" with a global trading market, and a performance driven global stock market.

What I've got so far:
The API is complete (coded in Python)
The processing server is complete (also coded in Python)
The server setup is complete (via Chef/AWS)
The client side is coming along (via Objective-C/iOS)

The art I'm hiring for is backgrounds, structures, logo, icons, and graphical text; very specifics:

- Several "buildings" that produce goods to be sold on the world market, examples would be a Refinery, Farm, etc.
- Buildings have multiple levels so building "progression" type
- Consistent style, cartoonish even.
- Logo for the game text (this is probably optional)
- "Icons" to represent a visual indication of every resource (For example, a Farm produces Food, Food would be nicely represented by an icon with a Corn in the middle of it or something).
- Backgrounds that the buildings sit on, overall consistent theme.
- Graphical text to pop up "Jobs done!" or "Great Job!"
- Color

What I don't need:

- Perfect and gorgeously polished work
- Realism in images, not looking for the most real looking structures.

Here's the work that would be involved:

- 2D Images of 5 different types of buildings
- Background/Texture that meshes well with buildings being on top
- Game logo
- Small graphics to represent each resource
- At least 10 text based graphics, more for popup purposes like "Great Job!" instead of just flashing text of Great Job! Text doesn't look good.

My passion and last pitch: I didn't know Objective-C more than 6 weeks ago, but I bought two books and am now nearly finished with the data side of the iOS app. This is all for the sole purpose of this game that cannot get off my mind.

I know that this might cost an arm and a leg, but I'm willing to save up and dish out if I can make a connection with the right artist. Please be aware that right now, I'm just pricing this. I'm more than happy to set up a contract if we hit it off immediately, but if this isn't something that you're drawn to then please don't waste your energy trying to come up with a price range. I know that art is hard and there's nothing worth more to an artist than time and inspiration.

Edit: I've got a potential connection with an artist and am going to commit to that and see how it works out. Thanks!

FlashBangBob fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Feb 20, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU