Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
I've had a story for a graphic novel kicking around my head for years that I would like to do something with. I like storyboarding but I can't draw worth a poo poo.

I've been checking out Fiverr that has been linked in this thread many times. Is it a good site to use or is there someplace better to check when trying to commission artists?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Raenir Salazar posted:

You can test your luck and either post an ad in the art commission subreddits (bearing in mind that the quality... Varies...) or do what I do and start following random artists you like and keep an eye out for artshare tweets to find more artists to follow and then track the promising ones via spreadsheet to contact later as you save up your budget. I tend to commission a wide spread of artists to draw versions of my characters/OCs in their style and the ones I like the most I bump up to top of the list. I've commissioned a lot of artists so I know my way around!

Depending on the style you're going for I think you can expect a page to be uncoloured around 100 to 150$ and 50% to maybe up to twice that coloured. For my manga project I have on the back burner I think I've estimated I'd need 3,000$ at least for 35ish pages with the artists who are a little more affordable; and you basically want that locked in, at least 50% upfront once you find an artist you like working with if you want them to be primarily working on your project.

Hey thanks, that's all very useful to know.

The story I'd like to do is not really that long, but yeah, as I plan it out the number of pages is adding up quickly. Then with that the whole Good/Cheap/Fast equation kicks in.

I don't know if it's better to try and eat the cost of the whole thing and just hope I could do something profitable with it once it's done. Or, if there's such a thing as doing it serialized style and posting small sections (5ish pages at a time) online and hoping to eventually build up enough of a fan base to do a patreon or something to help offset the cost. It's a less risky option but I'm not sure how it would work with the artist.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Raenir Salazar posted:

You gotta look at this as a business and marketing endeavour and try to think smartly as early a lead up as possible.

Thanks for all the information. It's good to know that someone else has went through this before.

On the topic of rights though, how do you make sure there won't be any issues with the artists down the line when it comes to trying to make money off of the final product?

I've seen agreement documents like this online https://www.docracy.com/7h1enekgrf/artwork-commission-agreement

Is something like that good enough?

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Thanks again, this has all been very helpful.

I think I will start working with a different story first - it's shorter and I'm "less attached" to it, which I hope means I will be more flexible when it comes to the artwork and stuff like that.

Then if that project doesn't turn out to be a complete nightmare, I can move on to the good stuff.