Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Texibus
May 18, 2008
Hello,

My friends and I did a thing, and we'd like it animated. The run time we have with the written dialog is around 15-25 minutes, it would be set in an urban area with five distinct characters and a few undead. We're not doing this as an entertainment venture, so it just needs to be passable enough to entertain those who helped write the script and there isn't a time table for when you'd need to have it done. So, a novice doing this as a side project for cheap would be what we are looking for.

What would an hourly rate be for this type of project and how long does it take to animate 20 minutes? I imagine that varies greatly depending on detail and the actions of the characters, but please try and ball park it.

Also, since this is our first time doing something like this we might need someone to tell us how the process works and what you'd need from us to get it done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Texibus
May 18, 2008

Jewel posted:

The answer: Thousands upon thousands of dollars. I remember seeing some rental studio you could get to make your own anime and it was something along the lines of $400 per second or something? Obviously it's not going to cost you $480,000 for something way less polished, but it's still going to cost A Lot Of Money. Also I recommend looking at https://twitter.com/forexposure_txt to see how many people don't understand how much time and effort is required to make things.

Edit: Also 20 minutes at ~20fps is about 24000 frames that need to be drawn. Even assuming you tweened a lot and shaved that down to 6000 frames that's still 6000 pieces of art you need made and even at an incredibly lowball of $1 per piece of art that might take anywhere from 5-30 minutes at a rough level that's still a lot of money. (And would end up about 500 - 3000 HOURS of work. HOURS).

Welp, good to know that it was a completely unreasonable thing, haha. Thanks man! drat, it would have been nice. Just figured for a college kid about a grand would have gotten it done, but I'm not in the industry.. the more you know!

Texibus fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Aug 5, 2013