Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008

Captain Pike posted:

I may wish to buy a logo at some point.

However, I hate the idea of starting an SA-Mart thread, asking for a logo. Multiple designers end up working for free, and only one of them gets paid. This doesn't seem fair at all.

I would prefer to work the other way around: I wish to look at various designers' portfolios, choose a designer, then pay him or her for a logo design. (Whether I end up using the logo or not. The designer should be paid for his/her time, and good-faith effort.)

Should I start a thread in SA-Mart describing this desire, or is there an existing directory of goon logo designers?

(This very thread may be the place. If true, I will click all of the links in this thread.)

You're in the right place. SA MART Threads are usually for "spec" work, which is what you described as people working for free. In here you either dig through the thread and find someone and or solicit for people to send you/post their portfolio and rates/etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
INCORRECT THREAD, FIRED.

unbuttonedclone fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Feb 3, 2015

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008

ATP5G1 posted:

Could someone let me know if this is the appropriate thread to post this request?

Is this the right thread for this? Also I've never requested artwork before--as a rule, is it OK to request very rough sketches before picking one, just so I know what kind of layout and ideas they're thinking of?

If you want to do that, post in SA mart. That's called spec work and while people will do it, it's frowned upon to request people to work for free (assuming you meant that you would post your idea and have people submit sketches then only pick one of them to do the art work/pay, that's how it usually works).

Generally in here you ask for people's portfolios, find someone that fits the style you want, agree on a price then work with them to realize your artwork (and pay them 1/2 to get started, 1/2 when it's done.)

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
I've been allocated about $300 bucks to get some art for a t-shirt/hat/possibly disc for the disc golf club so if you have experience in making art for t-shirts, etc. and that is within your price range hit me up. I don't have any ideas yet it's just general club merchandise. Maybe either thinking some cool design stuff or maybe a box turtle or other Kansas-related creature anthropomorphic illustration (or an airplane lol). Just something not too niche that the wide demographics of people that play disc golf would like. A plus if you know anything about disc golf but not required.

The key would be easy translation from a shirt to 1-3 color hot stamp on discs (probably 1 color). If this interests and the price isn't insulting send me your portfolio (didn't there used to be a thread with portfolios in it - I'm absolutely not looking for spec work), it'll probably be 2-3 weeks before ready to go since I have to pay out of pocket and be reimbursed.