Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jewel
May 2, 2009

Texibus posted:

Hello,

My friends and I did a thing, and we'd like it animated. The run time we have with the written dialog is around 15-25 minutes, it would be set in an urban area with five distinct characters and a few undead. We're not doing this as an entertainment venture, so it just needs to be passable enough to entertain those who helped write the script and there isn't a time table for when you'd need to have it done. So, a novice doing this as a side project for cheap would be what we are looking for.

What would an hourly rate be for this type of project and how long does it take to animate 20 minutes? I imagine that varies greatly depending on detail and the actions of the characters, but please try and ball park it.

Also, since this is our first time doing something like this we might need someone to tell us how the process works and what you'd need from us to get it done.

The answer: Thousands upon thousands of dollars. I remember seeing some rental studio you could get to make your own anime and it was something along the lines of $400 per second or something? Obviously it's not going to cost you $480,000 for something way less polished, but it's still going to cost A Lot Of Money. Also I recommend looking at https://twitter.com/forexposure_txt to see how many people don't understand how much time and effort is required to make things.

Edit: Also 20 minutes at ~20fps is about 24000 frames that need to be drawn. Even assuming you tweened a lot and shaved that down to 6000 frames that's still 6000 pieces of art you need made and even at an incredibly lowball of $1 per piece of art that might take anywhere from 5-30 minutes at a rough level that's still a lot of money. (And would end up about 500 - 3000 HOURS of work. HOURS).

Jewel fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Aug 1, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewel
May 2, 2009

I like freelancer's milestone system of "they deposit the money into a milestone system and the site has their money. The milestone can then be worked on and the freelancer can request payment of the milestone when the job is done"

If people run away they've lost all the money and you can generally still claim it by the dispute system.

Too bad freelancer is a pile of garbage in every single other way and you should never ever ever go there.

Jewel
May 2, 2009

LongSack posted:

Hello artistic goons! I am looking for a design for a t-shirt. My paintball team is called the Death Jesters, so I'm interested in a design featuring something dead wearing a jester/harlequin hat. Embellish as you desire!

Keep in mind the following:

1 the design needs to be scalable so when I send it to Joe's t-shirts 'r' us it will scale without artifacting
2 since it is for a t shirt, limit the number of colors. 2-color is fine, as is 4 but some realistic 24-bit image is probably a no-go
3 if you want to include the text, I'm looking for "Death Jesters" above and "Tournament Paintball" below
4 I am thinking that something more abstract is better than realistic, if you can get the idea across without putting Eddie in a jester cap, that is better I think to keep the ick factor down

If you are interested, please PM me or respond here with links to any of your work you think represents you best for this.

Thanks, and I hope this post fits within the rules for this forum

By the way, it really depends on what method you print your shirt to how many colors looks good. If you want 1-4 colors, you have to find a place that does screenprinting (will cost per color layer) as it's kinda like layers of extremely detailed stencils that get covered in ink which goes into the shirt, leaving a nice dyed/painted shirt in the end.

You want to find a place that does screenprinting, as the alternatives can be methods that support infinite colors but leave a gross plasticy feeling on top of the shirt as you've probably worn before.

Jewel
May 2, 2009

LongSack posted:

Good info, thanks. I was thinking of going with some place like customink. Not sure what method they use, and I couldn't readily find anything on their website, except in a video on there it looks like they are doing silk screening? Is that the same thing?

I don't know much more than to always use screenprinting for low color! Ask in the T-Shirt making thread probably