Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Hello! I am interested in commissioning an illustrator for some isometric video game environments concept art/design sketches.

Similar video games with the style I am referring to: Persona 2, Pillars of Eternity, Divinity II, Trials of the Sky.

Design Sketches: Basically drawing rooms/environments/exteriors from an top-down isometric (or similar, I understand Pillars of Eternity/Divinity aren't quite isometric but semi perspective, so a mix or either/or would be fine) perspective, if it's an interior scene then the exteriors can just be solid black, etc. And the environments should have simple sketched content like furnishings, knick-knacks, clothing, food, items and such. Maybe people/pets for scale.

Concept Art: Rough coloured illustrations that are a useful reference for aesthetic feel, lighting, atmosphere, mood, and can be any camera perspective. If you're confident in an anime/manga style for characters then rough/sketched background characters with flat colours would be good to add character (heh) to the scene.

Basically,
Design Sketches are more what I'd use to blueprint, mockup, or organize my actual levels.
The Concept Art is something to help me determine materials to use, and lighting for setting mood and atmosphere and imagine scripted scenes.

I have PM's, if you don't have pm's uh... Well respond and we'll cross that bridge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I'm interesting in commissioning manga or anime style artworks.

Examples of the sort of quality/style (manga):

(Also fine)

I'm also potentially interested if you're able to do actual comic/panels/pages, examples in terms of quality/style I'm interested in:

Budget probably something like 15$ per hour.

Boba Pearl posted:

I want Art Assets for DungeonDraft, which is a mapping software. You don't have to worry about making them "work" there's just some size requirements that are involved. I'm posting this multiple places, but Goons (especially ART-Goons) get first priority. My discord is Boba Pearl#3458 (You can just copy paste that whole thing in there, it'll work.) Here's the pitch for the art assets I'd like to commission:

Urban modern environments in the body of an undead/cancerous creature. It's flesh is raw, pink, and oozing the regenerative magic used on it making it grow eyes, teeth, nails, bones, pustules and tumors all over itself. The people who live here have carved their homes out of this creature. The bones of it as hard as metal, it's muscles leathery but strong like mithril. I want textures that reflect this environment. That I can use to make a bunch of maps in this setting, not too mention I do maps and things like this a lot. It is in fact, one of my "recurring themes" so having flesh assets on hand would be awesome. I do not plan to sell the maps I make, and I will only use it for my DND Games.

In the link below, I have the size requirements, reference art, and different kind of assets I'd like to commission, along with my budget (It's 100 - 150$): https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1gW2-x95cajQJPKucJxMT6s1g-gj2kFDHUmvmzvfEwLc/edit?usp=sharing

drat this is really cool! Can I chip in or something to your budget to also get this when you're done?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Vakal posted:

I've had a story for a graphic novel kicking around my head for years that I would like to do something with. I like storyboarding but I can't draw worth a poo poo.

I've been checking out Fiverr that has been linked in this thread many times. Is it a good site to use or is there someplace better to check when trying to commission artists?

You can test your luck and either post an ad in the art commission subreddits (bearing in mind that the quality... Varies...) or do what I do and start following random artists you like and keep an eye out for artshare tweets to find more artists to follow and then track the promising ones via spreadsheet to contact later as you save up your budget. I tend to commission a wide spread of artists to draw versions of my characters/OCs in their style and the ones I like the most I bump up to top of the list. I've commissioned a lot of artists so I know my way around!

Depending on the style you're going for I think you can expect a page to be uncoloured around 100 to 150$ and 50% to maybe up to twice that coloured. For my manga project I have on the back burner I think I've estimated I'd need 3,000$ at least for 35ish pages with the artists who are a little more affordable; and you basically want that locked in, at least 50% upfront once you find an artist you like working with if you want them to be primarily working on your project.

Storyboarding is also going to be immensely helpful for the artist you end up working with, even if its stick figures, because it helps convey what you want more clearly; a picture is worth 1,000 words after all!

Mr.Misfit posted:

Hello @ all,

I'm a tabletop rpg writer and require an artist working in pixel art to work to work on a number of contract pieces.
The pieces are to be used to a dystopian scifi tabletop rpg I'm currently developing and will be printed in a A5 book format.
What I'm mostly looking for are "space planet views", "planetary installations" and "people in dangerous situations".
Knowledge of German is appreciated, as it allows faster understanding for the pieces needed, but isn't required.

Basically I want to commission some pieces for my next game.
This is the first time I'm going for original instead of stock art, so if there are some things I'm doing wrong, apologies.

Arty things I have so far:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1GdjT8nl9LQiFc2P-ykaQruMjRObRcovx/view?usp=sharing - Cover MockUp
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ThCKFJGdjBvup_VyNbj7VGnQJWjUcHry/view?usp=sharing - Example PixelArt #1
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1uqWdzUTjLLLlCo3il7OEAQ16mHAwRVx6/view?usp=sharing - Example PixelArt #2

PM me if you're interested and I'm sure we can work something out.

I've commissioned some pixel artists in the past, I can refer them to you if you want, shoot me a DM.

Here's a copper dragonborn character for a rpg game project I commissioned before:

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Vakal posted:

Hey thanks, that's all very useful to know.

The story I'd like to do is not really that long, but yeah, as I plan it out the number of pages is adding up quickly. Then with that the whole Good/Cheap/Fast equation kicks in.

I don't know if it's better to try and eat the cost of the whole thing and just hope I could do something profitable with it once it's done. Or, if there's such a thing as doing it serialized style and posting small sections (5ish pages at a time) online and hoping to eventually build up enough of a fan base to do a patreon or something to help offset the cost. It's a less risky option but I'm not sure how it would work with the artist.

You gotta look at this as a business and marketing endeavour and try to think smartly as early a lead up as possible.

First, you want to write out the story, like three or so chapters ahead. Your goal my suggestion would be is to produce an initial chapter or so to generate interest.

Second, while working on these chapter(s), start creating the social media accounts to spread awareness and to drop samples or sneak peaks to your characters or cool moments as the artist(s) are working on things. Twitter, Instagram, Webtoons or wherever you'll be publishing the comic to. And of course patreon, maybe start out with a 1$ tip jar until you publish your first chapter.

Third, depending on your budgetary situation you want to plan ahead your release schedule. Do you want to release one chapter at a time, or if this isn't in your budget, one page at a time? If one page how often? What can you afford? With the initial chapter to help generate interest maybe you can drop one page at a time until your patreon or ad funding grows to the point you can have more frequent or bulkier releases. You could also do 1 chapter at a time "when its ready" as you save up the bulk money to hire/rehire the artists to work on it one chapter at a time.

Fourth, you might also want to consider splitting it up between multiple artists who do a different stage of the work; different artists you'll notice tend to have different strengths, particularly if you mainly look for more affordable artists from like /r/hungryartists and so on. Storyboards, action scenes, character designs, backgrounds, inking/colouring, paneling, etc.

As an example you can do your initial storyboards to get the idea across and then an artist could further refine the storyboards, clear up the intended action, fix your line of action, perspective, foreshortening, etc properly posing your scenes with still sketchy quality artworks. Individually this is typically inexpensive but will add up but will certainly help improve the overall quality.

But yeah, in places like webtoons people totally do that, uploading either a smaller number of pages at a time and so on. My opinion though that the best way to generate a more enduring interest is probably one larger chunk that tells a complete substory arc so people know what to expect and then decide whether pages at a time or a chapter at a time etc depending on what your monetary situation is; with the goal that if it kicks off and you're making money off of it, to slowly work your way up to regular releases and basically making it your job (if that's your goal! :) ).

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Vakal posted:

Thanks for all the information. It's good to know that someone else has went through this before.

On the topic of rights though, how do you make sure there won't be any issues with the artists down the line when it comes to trying to make money off of the final product?

I've seen agreement documents like this online https://www.docracy.com/7h1enekgrf/artwork-commission-agreement

Is something like that good enough?

Probably, be advised some artists might charged a fee for commercial use. You will likely get away without it while you're still in the exploration phase (commissioning character designs, concept art, etc; I nearly exclusively commission only reference pieces for internal use only); but once you're ready to commit to the full thing you could either use an agreement like that to insure no dispute about the rights/ownership. You could though use that as leverage, and negotiate some nominal profit sharing agreement to lower your upfront/operating costs in exchange for future profits later.

What I tend to do is to let them post the art to their social media, but ask them to link to my social media and provide a blurb that the character is mine. This usually works to both our benefit; they get the increased attention to their social media, adds to their portfolio etc, in addition to being paid and usually its pretty clear that the commission is for you the person who paid for it and the ownership isn't in dispute, the character is yours; while its likeness is ostensibly somewhat shared between the two of you; i.e you can use it in your projects, they can use it to advertise their services. There is a risk some third party might improperly use such art but they are unlikely to reproduce the full extent of its purpose because the effort of making a full creative work is going to be beyond the means of willingness of most vultures.

Be sure when negotiating with your artists and make it clear that they will be listed in the credits at a minimum in addition to the negotiated rate. So expect to either pay a commercial fee (not always, many artists don't care about commercial use, a commission is a commission, especially artists you'll find on reddit/twitter), or to negotiate some sort of profit sharing.

I personally shy away from such overtly formal agreements for regular commissions because I feel they kinda add a degree of distance and stiffness between me and the artist, when I prefer something more buddy buddy and collaborative between like-minds. So for me I'd only have such a contract written up only with someone who I've already worked well with in the past and its clear the written agreement for our mutual protection and to clear up responsibilities because its a much larger project that will consume more of both of our time and effort.

So my suggestion is unless you're super paranoid about any potential legal dispute about your characters is you can probably save the formal agreement until you are ready to begin the main project.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

organburner posted:

I am slowly massaging ideas for my first serious game project, which would be free to play but I'd be willing to invest some money into it:
Basically what I'd need to get started is I guess a technical concept artist who could draw me blueprints for fictional but semi-realistic vehicles (they'd start realistic and then end up more strange as the game goes on basically)
So I'm talking about designing tanks, technicals, spg's, gun emplacements and the like and the end result looking like:

I'm still in the process of building a war chest for this, but it would help to know how much I should expect to spend per design. No colours needed and they wouldn't need to be super detailed as I favour a low polygon look (also because I'm hoping anything that would come out of this would eventually run on the Nintendo Switch as well if it becomes a commercial project) The artist would also, for better or worse, have a pretty free hand in designing the vehicles themselves.

The game itself would be a vehicle action game I guess you'd call it, imagine a single player war thunder/world of tanks like thing where you play a variety of vehicles and missions. After the short single player game I'd work on a multiplayer co-op focused follow up.

I think the sweet spot is probably 100-150$ per sheet based on what I've seen, you can probably get fantastic sheets for much higher but I doubt you'd need that much detail a professional technical artist could provide (I've looked into Mecha design artists).

You might be able to find even more affordable options via reddit like /r/HungryArtists but you'd likely be inundated by people whose portfolios don't have what you're looking for and might spend more in the end commissioning cheaper options only to find the quality isn't what you're looking for.

You could start by searching on pinterest for sheets like what you've posted and tracking down the devient art or twitter accounts of the artists and DM'ing them if they do commissions.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

organburner posted:

Thanks, ideally the designs would take some things into account to make them realistic when it comes to damage models, like driver is here, gunner here, ammo is stored here etc.
Going to probably save up money for a year and see where I'm at then.

Yup, I accounted for that. I imagine 150$ is what you're going to be paying I think, any artist who regularly does what you're looking for will likely be able to do what you're looking for in terms of the design having more realistic physicality. I don't think you need to wait a year, if you have the budget for 1 or 2 sheets you could do some test commissions and slowly do commissions 1-2 at a time. The big thing is especially if you're just starting out, remember that 3D modeling, rigging, etc takes a while even if its simpler/prototypical level of detail/style; so by doing them like once every couple of months you'll gain enough experience to know what you need and what to make specific requests for. Don't save up like 6,000$ and spend it all at once because you might realize as you actually work through and develop your workflow that maybe your requirements or details might change and you'll have more flexibility.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Does anyone do ecommerce websites? My parents have a business where they produce and sell ceramic figures and they asked me recently to look at their website and it just looks awful 10 ways to sunday. I'm thinking they'd be better off just hiring a professional to rebuild the website from scratch with clear and easily useable storefront for customers to buy things from them; and easy for them to log in to add/remove items, update prices, do international shipping, etc.

I could probably slap something together myself for them but I don't have the time or energy; and I think it would be better if they had something professionally done.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Roman posted:

Don't know if this is the right thread for this. But I'm writing this story that's a series, will likely end up as a comic. Or I could win a cosmic lottery and Amazon will make it a TV show.

I did a ton of AI concept art because me no draw, but am now hiring some concept artists to draw the two leads. I have these characters' appearances designed right down to the backpack straps, I just can't actually draw poo poo. If my story got to a point where it could make money I absolutely want to compensate those artists further, especially if the art could be used in merchandise.

BUT I'm just paranoid they could pull some stuff like "Oh I actually invented those characters, please meet my lawyer."

It's not even about the money, it's about control of the thing I'm making. Is this even a thing I should worry about now (I don't even have a full script yet), or are there things I can do to protect myself?

#NotLegalAdvice #NotALawyer but Ideas can't really be copyrighted, only specific characters can be. I think the law generally assumes good faith and as long as you maybe document the process of how you came up with the characters and what references you used its very unlikely anyone would prevail against you in a court of law, and if you live in a state/region with Anti-SLAPP laws won't need to worry too much about frivolous lawsuits.

LegalEagle, who is a lawyer youtube content creator who specializes I believe in IP Law has some videos that might be helpful to you in assuaging your worry: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X61bdecrOiw

I think just because someone out there has a similar idea for a character doesn't mean there's a case for infringement. I think they'd have to prove that you copied the character and that your character and trademark might "confuse" or distract someone from their work thinking yours was theirs.

Consider the hundreds of superheroes out there between DC, Marvel, Manga, and everywhere else that all are very similar or have similar powers; the lawsuits that do happen are for much more specific issues like "Who actually owns Spawn/Angela/Etc?" and not really "Webcomic artist drew character a little too similar to superman for their webcomic".

Consider all of the Sonic OC webcomics out there that don't get sued while Mickey Mouse infringement is much more serious.

So yeah my advice as someone who commissions art, is if you REALLY want to play it safe:

-Write contracts. Ask your artists for full ownership and all commercial rights; they might charge more but you're wanting the assurance of something in writing; might suck if they plagiarized or something, so maybe reverse image search the result to be safe?

-And make sure to negotiate that ahead of time. Most professional artists will say upfront if they have commercial rates but people you're hiring off from the /r/hungryartist /r/starvingartists or like /r/animesketch who lean towards being hobbyists might not be prepared so in their case be sure to bring it up with them upfront, both to avoid taking advantage of a skilled naive artist but also to clear up any misunderstandings.

-Document your references/design process, I'll repeat this but mention for me I have like google docs where I write up character descriptions and assemble references that specify pose/expression/colour/hair style/costume elements/props; from pinterest, google image search, devientart, etc. Basically a document that proves your character was designed as an aggregate of ideas and concepts and inspirations and not a direct copy of someone else's character.

-In fact try to keep all communications with artists via email; so its saved to the cloud, and maybe if you're forced to use twitter/discord, try to switch them to discussing by email. You have no idea how many artists I've commissioned suddenly delete their accounts and I have to dig heaven and earth to figure out who I paid money to so I can track who did what because I foolishly didn't write it down or record it earlier!

-Avoid posting character art etc until you've got close to a commercializable product, i.e are about to start posting your comic to webtoon or wherever; basically only start dropping "promotional material" that advertises your product when you're reasonable sure you're soon to post the content in question to limit the window for someone to whip up or dig up something similar and trying to claim its yours.

-Also for anything you DO post, watermark it. If you got commercial rights you should be able to just watermark it with your identifying trademark, but it'd be nice to also add your artist's trade mark or ask for two versions, one that is trademarked with theirs and just add yours; like a two-key sort of deal. So you're both protected, communicate with your artist about your intentions and ask their feelings!

If someone tries to copy it and say its theirs you'll have the metadata of the original image for proof.

-Back up your originals as soon as possible to save said meta data. :)

Hope this helps! Feel free to ask further questions.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Luckily for me I pretty much never have to worry about being scammed after 5 years of commissioning people; I got like 300 people I've vetted by this point I just cycle through. With the people who don't follow through I just don't revisit without a good reason.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Roman posted:

thanks! very helpful.

also I may just hire someone from this thread or SA Mart instead. the person I was talking to on twitter made my spider-sense tingle. if i get ripped off here at least I can complain about it here lol.

Actually just remembered to mention; only semi-related but, unless the amount of money is relatively small and thus not a big deal, in my experience if the individual you're considering has a good social media presence; i.e they're active on at least one of twitter/instagram, and have a website portfolio either a weebly/devientart/artstation/pixiv/etc and yeah they have a decent number of works posted in my experience its rare that this will be a scammer.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Roman posted:

I did, and they were great to work with! Definitely recommended.

:swoon:

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I have an extremely minor change I need done to a 3d model. Basically I need one part to poke out a bit more.

Throw me a quote and I'll throw you some cash.

I may have a few more minor mods but this one is the biggest one I need altered, subsequent changes will be paid as well.

Do you have a .blend file? Or is it in maya?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Would you be up for referrals? I know a bunch of artists I've commissioned in the past, and they all have done good work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
My mom has like an etsy website and some other website somewhere else that is basically impossible to make anything but the most trivial changes to (Weebly? Not sure).

So basically, I would like to know if there's anyone who is experience with making online storefronts and setting it up with whatever ecommerce platform, I think the
main thing is with etsy it handles a lot of the accounting? Like taxes or currency or shipping stuff for her? But I think the issue is Etsy also has a lot of very expensive fees?

So if there IS a better alternative, I'd like to explore that for her.

Javid posted:

I am interested in D&D character art. Just for me and the 4 other people in that game to look at, I'm not writing a book or whatever.

In full disclosure, I don't have a ton of money for this, so if you respond and I can't splash it and or have to save up first, don't take it as an opinion on your pricing.

I wouldn't mind a copy of whatever you DMed that guy as it seems relevant to my needs here!

Heya! Sorry I saw this earlier but got distracted! If you're okay with mostly animesque sort of art I can dm you!