Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

This avatar helped buy Lowtax a new skeleton.

I am slowly massaging ideas for my first serious game project, which would be free to play but I'd be willing to invest some money into it:
Basically what I'd need to get started is I guess a technical concept artist who could draw me blueprints for fictional but semi-realistic vehicles (they'd start realistic and then end up more strange as the game goes on basically)
So I'm talking about designing tanks, technicals, spg's, gun emplacements and the like and the end result looking like:

I'm still in the process of building a war chest for this, but it would help to know how much I should expect to spend per design. No colours needed and they wouldn't need to be super detailed as I favour a low polygon look (also because I'm hoping anything that would come out of this would eventually run on the Nintendo Switch as well if it becomes a commercial project) The artist would also, for better or worse, have a pretty free hand in designing the vehicles themselves.

The game itself would be a vehicle action game I guess you'd call it, imagine a single player war thunder/world of tanks like thing where you play a variety of vehicles and missions. After the short single player game I'd work on a multiplayer co-op focused follow up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

Raenir Salazar posted:

I think the sweet spot is probably 100-150$ per sheet based on what I've seen, you can probably get fantastic sheets for much higher but I doubt you'd need that much detail a professional technical artist could provide (I've looked into Mecha design artists).

You might be able to find even more affordable options via reddit like /r/HungryArtists but you'd likely be inundated by people whose portfolios don't have what you're looking for and might spend more in the end commissioning cheaper options only to find the quality isn't what you're looking for.

You could start by searching on pinterest for sheets like what you've posted and tracking down the devient art or twitter accounts of the artists and DM'ing them if they do commissions.

Thanks, ideally the designs would take some things into account to make them realistic when it comes to damage models, like driver is here, gunner here, ammo is stored here etc.
Going to probably save up money for a year and see where I'm at then.

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

Raenir Salazar posted:

Yup, I accounted for that. I imagine 150$ is what you're going to be paying I think, any artist who regularly does what you're looking for will likely be able to do what you're looking for in terms of the design having more realistic physicality. I don't think you need to wait a year, if you have the budget for 1 or 2 sheets you could do some test commissions and slowly do commissions 1-2 at a time. The big thing is especially if you're just starting out, remember that 3D modeling, rigging, etc takes a while even if its simpler/prototypical level of detail/style; so by doing them like once every couple of months you'll gain enough experience to know what you need and what to make specific requests for. Don't save up like 6,000$ and spend it all at once because you might realize as you actually work through and develop your workflow that maybe your requirements or details might change and you'll have more flexibility.

Mostly I'm deciding to wait on it because I'm trying out godot to see if I like it more than unity, but that's going off topic. I'm not really at the point where I need models yet.