Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hac
Oct 21, 2005

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

I need a tattoo drawn up.

Knowing next to nothing about art, I'd describe the style as bold black-on-white line art. We're looking for the finished design to be similar in style to the skull masks you see for Día de los Muertos, or, similarly, something with the feel of this Totoro painting:

It's to commemorate a lost loved one. Photos and sketches will be provided to give you a better idea of what we're looking for.

Please send a PM or an email to gotta.stay.fai@gmail.com if you're interested in taking the job.

Thanks!

You should find a tattoo artist who does the type of work you're looking for and speak with them.

Look in the OP and post in this thread and we can help you find an artist in your area: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3519790&perpage=40&pagenumber=194

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hac
Oct 21, 2005

Long Francesco posted:

I'd like to have a painting commissioned of some pets for a Christmas present, but I'm not exactly sure how this whole thing works. I assume I'd review portfolios, choose one who style I like, send them a bunch of pictures, and then they would do a basic sketch and do revisions until it's good to do a final version?

I want to say I'm looking for something like a 20x32 oil(? I dunno much about art, or art sizes) painting, that can be framed on the cheap, something large enough to recognize the dogs from across the room that looks classy and realistic. I'm sure it depends on the artist, but what would an average price for that go? I'd like to pay a fair price and certainly not rip off a starving artist, but at the same time I'm not a rich man.

I'd like to figure all this out now so I can set aside enough money and have it on time for Christmas. Thanks art goons!

As has already been mentioned, Framing is never cheap. Personally I would disregard the advice about picking a frame based on decor of where it will hang or the taste of the recipient. People move, repaint rooms, buy new furniture, etc. You want the frame to look good with the artwork it holds. <period. For this reason I usually prefer to frame my own pieces or at least be the one to choose how it's done.

Overall I would say budget 300-400 for the painting and probably the same amount for framing. This will vary though depending on what style you're after, the experience of the artist (ie their going rate), and also where they live (cost of living changes people's prices). Realistic style work takes a long time. Also you have shipping to consider as has also been mentioned.

PM me if you'd like to discuss further/take a look at samples of my work. Given the extended time frame you're looking at I might be interested in taking on the project.

hac
Oct 21, 2005

Autechresaint posted:

I work with watercolors and I think they are a good option. They can be just as striking as oils, and probably ship easier/cheaper as well.
Price for the work would still be in the $300-400 range for something that size.

Some of my work:
http://www.jeffspetprojects.com/index/

I really enjoy Simon, Zoey, and Wilbur. Nice work!

hac
Oct 21, 2005

Autechresaint posted:

Hey thanks! Do you have any of your work online?

Not really. Recent work I post on instagram @kmhack

Been meaning to get a website together for a while. Hopefully in the next few months I'll finally get my act together.