Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Oh hey Kastein, it turns out I'm kinda acquainted with your brother. He posted some vines on Twitter of a five ton truck going through the woods last week, I asked him about it, he said it was at his brothers' in Massachusetts, and I put the pieces together.

That truck continues to amaze.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Remind me what has to happen before you can register the 5 ton.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

So, 48 hours awake and then back to designing flying cars?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

I love how much blood, sweat, and tears you pour into fixing your Jeeps so that you can drive them off of cliffs.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Makes me want to get another lovely jeep, drive it to wherever kastein lives, and then just spend a week installing whatever parts he says to install.

That or, give him my debit card and install whatever parts he throws at me.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

And here I thought the AX5 was made out of saltine crackers and hope.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

I think I found Ken's Saudi Arabian cousin.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TP-iZkVfvt0

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

kastein posted:

It's all out there, just not in the same place. I've considered putting together a giant gantt chart type thing that shows year changeovers for every part I'm aware of on various vehicles, but I haven't found software that works well enough for me to get more than 5 minutes into it and give up in frustration.

Sit down with GraphViz. Once you learn it's bizarre domain specific space language, you could make a whole bunch of this-connects-to-this graphs.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

If anyone's workplace has a big old CNC mill, I would expect yours to, kastein. Machining a new bellhousing out of a big block of steel couldn't cost more than, what, three or four junkyard transmissions?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Good lord man. I don't want to know what a burning can of brakleen smells like.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

kastein posted:

I might start working on an airplane to put it in.

How does this work? Do you just mount the motor backwards and throw a 10:1 gearbox on the output shaft?

e. Oh, that's what a PSRU is. My bad.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Geirskogul posted:

I've been meaning to ask: trigger warning? Like, that thing tumblr people do when they can't deal with real life?

Some AI folks react badly when they encounter multiple positive Sockington Units of rust. Kastein's just being a good guy by warning them.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

kastein posted:

You must have missed the last 19 times someone suggested that and I noted I live down a steepish rocky dirt road and around a corner, the city doesn't plow it during the winter, and wouldn't even make it to the driveway nevermind out to the paved road if I drove a 2wd vehicle :(

If it isn't 4wd or AWD and can't be made so, it has no place in my fleet of turds.

Only a month and a half until you can use the five ton to tow your boring commutermobile to the top of the hill?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

kastein posted:

Yeah, quality connectors are very much a pay to play game unfortunately. For instance I was looking at 7 pin minimultilocks for everything on the vehicle at work only to find that they were fairly cheap... but the only certified crimp tool for them was $2300. I can justify that for production, but for a test prototype? Hellllll no. So I ended up speccing d369 for everything, which weighs somewhat more but costs $bazilliondy less and is actually nicer for assembly and maintenance.

Here's the stuff I got, in case anyone wants to make the same mistakes!
* crimper: http://m.harborfreight.com/hydraulic-wire-crimping-tool-66150.html
* brass marine battery terminals: http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accessories/Lynx-Battery-terminal-brass-marine/_/N-25hn?id=95969&itemIdentifier=95969_0_0_ (substitute something else as appropriate if you have a different style battery)
* #8 and #10-12 crimp lugs for PDC and alternator feeds, 5/16 and 3/8 stud size depending on the vehicle.
* #4 extra heavy duty crimp lugs for starter feeds, 5/16 and 3/8 stud size depending on vehicle.
* #4 welding cable from airgas.com, flexaprene insulation.
* appropriately sized adhesive lined shrink tubing.

I got the crimp lugs and heatshrink from waytek wire; the SKUs I ordered were:
30ea 36565 HEAVY DUTY EYELET LUG 4GA 5/16" STUD GRAY COLOR CODE EA 0.8019 $24.05
50ea 32204 12-10 GA 5/16" RING TERMINAL NON-INSULATED BRAZED EA 0.1242 $6.21
50ea 33003 8 GA 5/16" RING TERMINAL NON-INSULATED BRAZED EA 0.1788 $8.94

These work for 5/16 or 8mm studs... if your starter, battery terminals (GM side lug are 3/8. True marine battery adapters are 5/16 for one and 3/8 for the other to prevent switching them, but the brass terminal adapters I linked are both 5/16) or anything else are 3/8 or 10mm, plan on drilling the holes out to a larger size or just order another size eye. Jeep 4.0L ground cable attachment locations are 3/8, as well, IIRC. Most starter solenoid B+ posts are 8mm or 5/16. If you have a high compression high displacement engine, a long battery to starter run, or other complicating factors I might recommend going to #2, #1, or even #0 welding cable, but #4 has been equal to or better than anything I have replaced so far.

I've read through this a handful of times, and I just want to confirm something. The battery-to-car connection looks like this in your mind, correct?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Awesome. Thank you.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

I'm gonna second the Chicago invitation.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Ken, your brother sang like a canary when I asked him. I can't wait.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Man, I miss getting tires shipped to work. Stupid high rise.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

I'm gonna bet "as soon as the new one arrives from Digikey" is a phrase Ken uses so often at work that he typed it on autopilot.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

How do you pop the cap without being yourself drenched in superheated ethylene glycol?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

kastein posted:

Remember that if you don't use a V drive and just try to run something like a custom built transfer case (such as an NP200 from an M715 combined with parts from an NP205 from anything they came in, which can result in a case with two rear outputs, one of which you could use as an input) you're going to have to find a way to turn the engine backwards.

Honda powered, got it.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

That's loving awesome, Ken. I imagine it's been discussed, but is that runway technically still active?

also

nice

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

kastein posted:

I have never ever had to shim a Jeep or Subaru starter, this is a bullshit design. Be better, GM.

It hearkens back to the days of hand-built automobiles assembled by master craftspeople, each part being meticulously fit by hand. Tolerances? What's that?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

IOwnCalculus posted:

I think Chicago's a fantastic place to visit but if I'm driving cross country and not actually stopping there, I'm definitely picking a route that says away from there. Absolutely the scariest driving I've seen in my life.

I drove from NYC - Seattle twice and went through Chicago both times (intentionally, because I unironically love Chicago). The first time the potholes were so bad they caused the trailer to pop off of my U-Haul, but the second time it was really lovely right at sunset and well worth detouring a little bit.

Elviscat posted:

I'd probably break North and take the Muskegon/Milwaukee ferry.

This is also a good plan. I think the ferry is $200ish if you have a car, but it's a gorgeous ride especially if you've never been at sea before.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

IOwnCalculus posted:

been surrounded by a biker gang of dirt bikes and quads that did wheelies and donuts around our Uber.

That's a semi-frequent occurance in every city I've lived in.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

kastein posted:

Next up software. I had never developed for esp32 yet. I had a large degree of disdain for Arduino Studio and if anything, this experience has increased that.

I had pretty decent luck with Visual Studio Code. I wrote my libraries and unit tests in C++ in VSCode, and did the bare minimum in my .ino file, only using Arduino Studio to flash my ESP32.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

drat dude, nicely done.