Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

I was going to say, where the gently caress did you find brand new Old School Wrangler MT/R's?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

I knew that thing looked familiar- It shares a shitload of components with the Toyota R and W series boxes.

Tore 5 teeth off the input shaft gears by putting my foot down in 5th gear on the freeway! :stare:

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

For maximum fun and reliability, Find a H150F or H151F transmission- Used in the 1FZ/1HD-T 80 series and TD/V8 100 series. They actually put 5th gear in the main cluster rather than languishing out the back of the centre plate on its own, so its fully supported and as strong as all the rest of the gears.

it shifts like a god drat truck gearbox if you have the wrong oil in it tho.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

ssjonizuka posted:

This is the BEST analogy. That looks amazing - though with past discussions about structural integrity and shear forces, etc - is grade 8 sufficient for something that's going to be hammered from various angles?

The ARB steps and scrub bars on my old hilux are only held on with Grade 8.8 hardware and I had the entire weight of the truck leaning on them at one point and they didnt even flinch.

You'd love an aussie hilux Kastein, generally the only rust is where theres surface rust where the paint in the tray has been rubbed off!

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

And maybe something on the legs to stop it falling on you?

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

That looks like a pain in the arse without a seperate 3rd member.

Last toyo diff I did everything from pinion preload to carrier preload was done standing up at the comfort of a work bench.

Lifting a 50kg 3rd member above your head and dropping it into the diff housing and trying to get the two 5mm dowels to line up, and then not have the bitch fall out on you while you put the 14 odd bolts in is a ball breaker though.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

It sounds no more knocky that my 7300hr old perkins 6 pot in the Massey MF3095 im hurtling around the countryside in these days

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

So let me get this straight... Instead of welding a tube through the chassis/ unibody and then installing a bushing and a thru bolt with a nut they used a bolt into a captive nut? What kind of insanity is that?

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Do you guys get the 7 pin flat connectors in the US? I had a 7 pin round on the back of my rear bar and it kept getting the poo poo beaten out of it offroad, so I went for a 7 pin flat and an adaptor to go back to round when needed and it hasnt been hit since.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Theres 3 different ones in use in Aus-

7 pin flat

)

7 pin Large round

And 7 pin small round, which is just a 7 pin large with smaller connectors in a tighter arrangement

The 7 pin flats awesome because its so compact and easy to tuck up out of the way, but 7 pin round is pretty much the norm country wide.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

kastein posted:

Fifth counter gear thrust spacer and its alignment ball bearing. This goes between the countershaft midplate bearing and the fifth counter gear hydrodynamic thrust bearing to keep the fifth counter gear from walking along the shaft until it eats into the midplate. The ball bearing goes into a pocket on the side of the shaft to keep the spacer from spinning and galling the bearing or the shaft.

Ball bearing goes here:

Then toss the spacer on. The ball bearing slots into a half-moon slot cut in the inside of the spacer. The conical side of the spacer goes toward the midplate!

Just to really, really annoy you, That 5th gear spacer has the same design fault in it that the one in my old mans prado's Toyota R151F gearbox did- The square cut out causes massive issues with stress risers on the corners and fractures through, splitting the spacer and allowing 5th to wander along the shaft till it eats into the centre plate and locks the gearbox in 5th.

The replacement one we got from toyota had rounded corners in the square cut out rather than 90 degree's. His failed at about 200K kms.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

You sir, are loving nuts.

But bravo!

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Its wierd- Toyota have shoved their version of the AX15- The R151F behind EVERYTHING- 3.0L Turbo diesel 4 pots, 3.0L V6's, 4.2L Diesel 6 pots, 3.0L CRD 4 pots etc etc etc and you never hear of them cracking bell housings!

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

kastein posted:

The problem is, it's standardized but it's so widely known to be standardized that everyone in the industry only publishes the info they need to know what to buy, and I have all the other info because I don't know what matters, so for example it took me several hours to figure out that this flywheel is for a standard "14 inch" (not kidding) clutch, even though I had the exact info on the pressure plate bolt pattern. And several more hours to figure out that the standard input shaft pilot tips are 25mm and 30mm, and there are only two pilot bearings and they each fit one of those to a 62mm bore in the flywheel.

There are also pull and push clutches (same as there are on cars, pull clutches are dumb imo but enable you to install a clutch brake, which is really nice to have with an unsynchronized first gear) and don't even get me started on input shaft splines. At least they only use a couple instead of a million types like cars. Oh, and different bellhousings for push and pull clutches with above and below centerline linkages. I need to check what I have now that I think about it...

I can't wait to spend 500 to 1300 on a clutch kit :suicide:

Thats about what im going to be spending on a clutch kit for my landcruiser sometime in the next few months. Not gonna push my luck with a 330K kms old factory clutch in a heavy 4wd in the desert again in July!

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Many people have tried over the years to cool 4wds with electric fans and every one of em has failed. Why do you think manufacturers like Toyota fit mechanical fans to literally every single 4wd they manufacture.

There was a thread on another forum a while back on the topic and someone calculated that a fully locked up fan on an 80 series diesel was moving around 3000cfm at 1200 rpm and north of 9000cfm at 3000 rpm. You can’t match that with electrics in the area you have, which is the other consideration. Things like ultra 4 buggies and trophy trucks have electric fan cooling but they’re also running massive radiators, not sandwiched between the grill and the engine.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

cursedshitbox posted:

90s Lexus ES300s did this as well, operated by the power assisted steering system.
I've also seen variants on heavy machinery

I believe a fair whack of the LS400's did too, it was often a dilemma for people doing 1UZ swaps into hilux's was how to drive the fan

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

kastein posted:

Sure beats the cement mixer trucks I've heard of with a literal hole in the middle of the radiator where a shaft needs to go through it for some reason.

They run the hydraulic pump off the front of the crank, but it has to live out in the bumper for space reasons. Dunno why they dont just run a flywheel PTO like most other trucks?

The drilling rig I used to run when i was doing geo sampling had a hole through the middle of a fuel tank for a PTO shaft. It was the dumbest thing I have ever seen because there was room on the side of the transfer case for a hydraulic pump to be mounted directly to the PTO!

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

kastein posted:

Full service yards blow rear end (as Sharky said years ago I think, the price list seems to depend on what they think you have in your pocket) and I'll always hate them. Their info is bad, organization is worse, their service is universally provided by surly filthy grizzled antivaxxers, their prices are nearly universally loving insane, and just in general I only go there if I have literally no other choice.

And as a bonus they dont know poo poo about what they're selling. Theres a 4WD specific wrecker near me thats shocking for that. A good example is alternators for landcruisers. If you have the 105 series, it comes with the 1HZ diesel, which is worth about $2K on a good day. If you've got a 100, you've got the 1HD-FTE diesel, which is worth $20K with 300K on it. So If i go to the wreckers asking for an alternator for my 100 series, they'll ask $300 for one. If I go to them and ask for an alternator for a 1HZ 105 series, they'll want $140 for it.

They're the same loving part number from Toyota. Toyota just fitted the same 120A alternator to both the 100 and 105 diesels.

loving muppets.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Apparently the Milwaukee M18 transfer pump can punch gear oils around quite nicely if it’s not negative degrees outside

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

I've just got a 5L garden pump up weed sprayer that I've taken the wand off so its just a hose (I actually extended the hose to about 3M so the tank can sit out from under the car) and added a tyre stem to the side of it. I ended up pulling the factory overpressure release vent out cos it went off too early pumping 90w140 gear oil and replaced it with a steel plug that blows out at about 35psi.

Put in the amount the diff/gearbox/transfer holds + 500-1000ml, stick hose in hole, pump up to 20psi with tyre inflator and go off and do something else while it fills. just come back every now and then and refill the air. As soon as it overflows you just unscrew the lid to release the pressure and oil flow stops.

Basically just repurposed something like this!

https://www.homedepot.com/p/HDX-2-Gal-Pump-Sprayer-1502HDXA/307766539