Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rifles
Oct 8, 2007
is this thing working

kastein posted:

I'm really sour about that actually. In 2011ish right before making poor career choices I bought a set of 6 46in Michelin 395/85R20s for it, then let them sit since then because I need to spend a lot of money on wheels to make them fit. They're almost certainly dry rotted beyond being safe to run on the highway. I'm hoping to offload them to some mud truck guy for not too much of a loss and since the stock tires are pretty ragged too I'll either get another set of 46s or just toss cheapo junkyard semi truck tires and wheels on it for the drive since it's not like we'll be going 4 wheeling on the way there.

Get the tallest singles you want to deal with and you'll improve your max speed at least. Our m813a1 has been sitting in a barn; none of us have the funds to sink into tires for it and it needs a couple wheel cylinders done. Last drive had no brakes, woo!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rifles
Oct 8, 2007
is this thing working

kastein posted:

If you do that, budget for a rear axle swap too because if it's not a Dana 44, it's the 35 that will explode with a stock 4.0 in front of it. 8.8 and rear 60 are both fine depending on what you plan on putting in the front to pair them with.

Edit: front brakes and rear shocks are now done, time to pass out.

My dad and I did a hella cheap junkyard swap for my cousin's 2.5/ax5 YJ they bought for wayyy too much after it spun a rod bearing two months after they got it. Took the best parts of three 302s (one from an F150, one from a crown vic, and one from a fox body) and made one with a 4 barrel, and then stuck a T18 we had lying around behind it with a novak adapter to the 231. It has had 33s on it with the stock open D35/30 for 25k and has somehow never broken anything, but he also doesn't wheel it at all.

The best part was the AX5 was completely full of water. Like no gear oil left, just water. Oh and it had the typical YJ frame rust, rear leaf mounts were one bump away from the entire rear end disconnecting itself. The frame patches are pretty decent and easy to put on though!

rifles
Oct 8, 2007
is this thing working

Darchangel posted:

Also, the whole "battery backup for your house" is compelling. Tesla is missing a trick big time right there.

edit: I'd like them to do a Ranger Lightning. I don't really want the full size.

Why not? The Ranger is pretty big. A crew cab Ranger is 211" long, the Lightning is 232". It's only about 2" more narrow as well. The draw to me for the Ranger vs 150 has always been economy but the Lightning kills that entirely, and the difference between 211" and 232" isn't going to make any difference outside of a cramped parking garage. If you're doing that often you're going to be annoyed in any truck.

rifles
Oct 8, 2007
is this thing working
I have a funny YJ story too, my cousin got one towards the end of high school on 33s with a mild lift and nothing else.

He pulled up to the house one day and we were looking at it and the light hit the back of the frame just right and displayed just how little metal was holding the rear leaf mounts on.

We made him park it immediately and that turned into chopping the back of the frame off, splicing in repair sections, building an entirely new rear crossmember, and then his 2.5 died within a week of finishing all of that. Ended up getting a few cheap junkyard 302s, building one out of all the good parts of each, adapting a t18 we had laying around to the 231 and then getting driveshafts made, and now it sits a lot (which is good because the D35 is a ticking timebomb).

I kind of want it to put back to factory height and an 8.8 under for zooming around in a dumb v8 clown car.

Always a fan of your thread here Kastein, you remind me often that sometimes "good enough" is truly good enough.