Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

kastein posted:

I'm not sure if I like Just Empty Every Pocket or Fix Or Repair Daily problems more right now. Subaru is still sounding like the worlds angriest typewriter with a bit of marbles in a wooden box thrown in for good measure, but still running great. Need to bring it back to the inspection station for its emissions test soonish.

To be fair, that doesn't really sound like a Ford-related problem.

RWD Fords are just like Jeeps, nothing major ever breaks, but every single loving pheriphrial part is made cheaply as poo poo and will just fail in small, annoying ways that barely leave the car running.

Btw, I don't know if you ever managed to get the red crapcan back, but I end up traveling from CT to the Capitol Region every ~month or so, so I'd be able to give you a lift some weekend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Existing tank and new external oil pump seems like a piece of piss to install, if it's in the price range just run it.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Like CSB said, put it in a can with a sock, or find a big 'ol filter, NPT->X adapters are widly available use one of those to mount a nice fatty fuel filter. Make sure it's big enough and it'll be fine, search COTS industrial poo poo if a good automotive equivalent doesn't exist.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

So pass-through you're looking at an NPT nipple.with teflon sealing rings on either end, right? Should be able to use a close nipple sealed to the tank to the requisite adaptors. If not, an adapter of your choosing welded into the tank? I know that means inerting the tank somehow, but that shouldn't be difficult with your skill set.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

That is IMPRESSIVE commutator wear, especially since those brushes don't look half bad.

These are cooled/lubricated by system fluid, right? Silt/ mud sounds about right for first "clearancing" the bearings then lapping in that commutator.

Is that shaft supported by bushings, plain bearings, or ball bearings?

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Split Loom is for scrubs that don't have dozens of hours of free time on their hands.

Cable Lacing is the way to go.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

That looks good, why'd you go that route over drop-in LED replacements though?

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

kastein posted:

The stock sockets were the hosed part. And no one makes replacements that won't have it happen again for less than 60 each, which I'm not paying. I really didn't want this project, but this was the cheapest way out and means I shouldn't have to gently caress with it again.

I'm just dipping all the electronics and then hot gluing them into the housing. I'd love to fill the housing with epoxy but I don't trust Amazon's finest $1.50 LED modules that much.

But they're LEDs, they never go bad!

Oh, NM.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

kastein posted:

So I used a bunch of random junk I had around (seriously, 1.5x0.25 bar stock, a handful of grade 8 bolts, a busted YJ tcase shifter linkage bar, a piece of 1x0.312 DOM tubing, half inch round bar stock, an extra 1/4 inch rod end joint from fixing a 1974 Case backhoe, a few screws out of the random bolt bin we inherited from the previous tenant at the hangar, half of a dakota ax15 shifter, and a grease zerk stolen off a 1992 w250 front driveshaft) to fabricobble one. It actually works quite nicely for what it is:

Left to do before driving it home:
* Hook wiper motor back up, along with washer fluid pump relay trigger wiring
* Transfer case shift lever boot so the floor isn't so leaky, fill in areas cut out by the previous owner to clear his custom Dana 20 twin stick shifters
* Brake lamp switch
* Aim headlights
* Finish installing parking brake cables and ideally hook them to lever(s)
* Ideally, build new front winch bumper
* Edit: oh yeah, trailer hitch, license plate light, trailer hitch wiring adapter

Lol, perfect! Some people try to shame others for hoarding all those scraps of tubing and steel and bolts and nuts.

Sounds like it's 99% there.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

I don't know if I'm more surprised a pick-n-pull has a beam hoist, or that you used it instead of carrying the engine out.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

The Milwaukee is supposed to be pretty awesome too, even more powerful than the Snap on.

Unrelated, I found the ultimate nut-fucker while I was searching around.

2,000 ft-lbs, 1" drive.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Tilt/telescoping columns should have been mandated from day 1 imo.

I have to drive my Ranger with my legs splayed like I'm about to give birth.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

kastein posted:

Headlights are in! Bet most people wouldn't even notice they aren't factory, which is what I was aiming for.

gently caress me those look good.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

kastein posted:

Well a long post will probably be coming soon but:
I cut all the parts for the new front bumper for the Honcho to size and brought them home to weld it up on the truck last night. I also fixed my tow dolly and dragged it home for the first time in years.

Then literally an hour later my brother texts and says he's on his way on a rollback with the ranger because it stopped running.

We go check it out in the morning and...

:negative:

At least it's not interference, but Ford buried this motherfucker ten miles deep in bullshit and I can already tell it's going to be a total shitshow.

Oh man, look at those 8 spark plugs for the mighty V8 in that truck.

By all rights the transverse engines in the Ranger should have miles of space around them, bit it's like Ford's engines set out to fill every available cc of under hood room with the worst, bulkiest hose and pipe routing possible.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

I mean, I do have explicit memories of using 4' of ratchet extensions to reach the CPS bolts on a Renix WJ.

Your post made me check mine, the 2.3 is a timing chain, and seemingly a massive improvement over the mighty, mighty 2.5 in general, and half the spark plugs.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

It looks like '98 they changed to the 2.5L, which I think was the same engine as the 2.3 but larger, and in 2001 they had both the 2.5 and unrelated new 2.3 with a measly 1 spark plug per cylinder and timing chain.

Which is a lot of development for the only longitudinal I4 in their inventory (afaik).

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

I love the massive rectangle tube welded to the wimpy little drawbar and super thin truck frame. :D

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

That's still setting a pretty good pace, all things considered.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

kastein posted:

Port Orchard WA

That sounds familiar. Hope you get settled in well at the new place.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Doccers posted:

East Coast (of the Key Peninsula on Kitsap) - we just had to specify, you see...

And yeah, I've done the "back to ACE 4 or 5 times" shuffle before...

I've gone to Silverdale or GH HD so many drat times because the PO Lowes sucks so bad, even though I could probably coast to it with the Ranger's clutch popped.

kastein posted:

So I haven't posted this pic here yet and you're drat right I'm gonna toot my own horn about this rad piece of junk making it cross country without stranding me despite it having less than 300 miles on everything I installed (basically "all of it except for the front axle, springs, steering box, and brake booster") and having never been more than 25 miles from home before.

Now I just need to replace the rest of it and it'll be perfect.

I saw this on FB, the Honcho's so fuckin' rad.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

kastein posted:

XJs unfortunately don't do anything useful for me at this point that Britt's wagon, the Honcho, and the MJ can't do. I do, however, need a crane to build a house and barn without a construction crew, or at least that's my excuse to spend ten grand on a toy instead of ten grand on hiring a crew to stand up the framing.

I will help you in any way I can, if you let me borrow the crane occasionally, I saw your picture and immediately started searching CL.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

It's not the fastest route by any stretch, but if you head all the way West to Newport or Astoria and take 101 up the coast to Long Beach, then head East up to the Peninsula via the back route it's a really pretty drive this time of year.

Also try taking Steven's pass via highway 2 next time you need to cross the cascades, it's a beautiful road, much nicer than I-90 views wise, and there's a cute little Bavarian themed town along the way that's worth a stop for a sausage and a beer.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

kastein posted:

It does, in fact. In its previous life it welded exhaust manifolds all day long.

If it's the same one that welded the exhaust manifolds for my V6 mustangs throw it away, every single one had an initial tack at the collector that was solid, then the entire bead had just burned through the thin tubing entirely.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

I don't think I ever used mine with gas, but they're surprisingly robust and rebuildable, last one I had ate metal shavings, aluminized grease, and metal shavings for a year without issue, tubing and o-rings are easily replaceable.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

ThinkFear posted:

A safety siphon is the pro move. gently caress accidentally gargling gas. Best way to use a gas can, too. There isn't a no-spill spout that isn't a complete piece of poo poo.

Disagree, I have the 1.5 gallon version of this and it's awesome, seals so tight it'll crush the can under vacuum if you half empty it on a hot day, easy to use too.

Those racing gas cans are pretty awesome too, I have a few for my diet bikes, all the spout components are just NPS so you can get replacements at Lowes, first thing I do for mine is get a barb x 1/2" NPS fitting and a cap.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

kastein posted:

The brand name is amusing.

I think it's German for "Jeep"

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Transmission/torque converter/driveshaft related if it doesn't do it while parked?

Last annoying cyclic noise I had was a cracked flywheel on one of my old Mustangs, but that would go away when you disengaged the clutch.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

When I replaced the convertible top in my old Mustang with a DPDT momentary switch, I used a piece of aluminum to fill the gap, that looked pretty good.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

I think they're pretty good for vibration, there's a lot of peckerheads on rattly old motors with bad bearings keeping everything in contact.

They're also a great warning that you need to start ripping out and redoing wires when you see them on a car.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

This is why I only use fresh, clean Romex scraps for all my car wiring needs.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

kastein posted:

Don't forget I know where you live :argh:

(I kid, I kid)

You're threatening to steal my Romex stash!

:haw:

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Have you thought about getting a properly rated trailer, maybe a dual axle, and putting the Comanche bed trailer on that?

I'm a little worried that it's going to be too sketchy to get you across the country no matter what you do to it.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Holy poo poo that strut tower.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

kastein posted:

This sounds like fun. Game plan, all contestants must appear in New England with 3000 dollars and whatever you can fit in your luggage. You buy a vehicle and must repair, fuel, and drive it to the Pacific Coast. Whoever arrives with the most money remaining wins. May the gods of oxidation be blind to you.

Done

Side note, I think summer would be the ideal season for this contest.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

I'd probably break North and take the Muskegon/Milwaukee ferry.

Or do it like the motorcycle trip I did take across the country, and avoid cities as much as possible. I made it across all of Texas without stopping in a town with more than 10k people. I've also ridden bikes in NYC and Boston, so I feel pretty confident.

I love that CVT legal defense, "no no no, we just designed them all hosed up, they're built perfect!"

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

When I rode my bike through Texas I avoided Interstates and cities entirely. Lots of lovely straight, flat highways with high speed limits and no traffic out in the boonies. A+++ would recommend again.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

EWAF?

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

An LS swapped MJ would rip though.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

The Vulcan and Titanium lines are really, really impressive welders at their price points, I really need to add MIG back into my lineup.

Lots of really neat work there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

I don't have any experience with flywheels, but aluminum can absolutely slowly yield in a creeping manner under fastener preload, dumping all that preload off the bolts and letting them walk free, we've had issues with it at work, and the workaround was load-distributing plates/washers that spread that force over a greater surface area.

Same reason you're supposed to check torque on alloy wheels the day after you put 'em on (though I've never had an issue with that).