Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 7 minutes!

Veeb0rg posted:

TreadWright tires right?

I've been considering a set of tall skinnies for my Rover now that I've lifted it a bit. I don't know anyone personally who's used them, but they seem to be well reviewed on a lot of offroading sites.

This is what I was looking at:

https://www.treadwright.com/p-27-235-85r16-axiom-a-t-e.aspx

What ones do you have and how long have you had them/how many miles?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009
Probation

Veeb0rg posted:

I have 31's in the Gaurd Dog's. I've had em a little over a year and drive on em every day.

My concern with the Gard Dogs was just how aggressive they were...looks great for off road but I was concerned with on road noise, wet performance and wear. I guess I can cross "wear" off that list.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009
Probation

kastein posted:

I test drove sandbagger last night the second we put the tires on and it sounds like a loving TIE fighter on the highway now. Some probably think that would be annoying but I think it's awesome.

Any decent MT with good offroad performance is going to make a racket going fast, not much to be done about that IMO.

Yeah, that's what I'm trying to avoid in excess. I used to have a set of Swamper TSX-SXes that were louder than the (390 with 12" cherry bombs) engine above 35 MPH. They were also death traps on wet roads. I have an excuse in that I was young and stupid. So I'm trying to not repeat that particular one.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009
Probation

kastein posted:

jesus christ, TSLs are just ridiculous.

Yeah, on an old F250 with posi front and a detroit in the rear it was basically unstoppable in the mud bogs of all the new development being built when I was growing up. I regret nothing about them, but know I'd be miserable with something like that today.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009
Probation

BrokenKnucklez posted:

I have a completely dumb question, are these retreads or recaps? The pricing seems very reasonable, and it would be nice to get a sperate set of tires for the Rover on steelies for bashing off road.

Yes, they are retreads. And seem amazingly well regarded by everyone I've seen talk about them online.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009
Probation

Ozmiander posted:

The bang that an unissued romie ask barrel pin makes when you press it out with a 40 ton shop press can be heard across a half acre factory. Ask me how I know.

I bent the needle on the dial indicator of my friend's 20 ton when it finally decided to let go. Based on the noise I assumed I broke the entire press, had shards of it in my chest and just didn't feel it yet due to shock. Imagine my surprise when my eyes opened again and it actually did what I wanted it to do with minimal damage.

(yes, I bought him a new gauge)

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009
Probation

Cakefool posted:

Oh how sweet. Last time I pressed something out it was the pinion from a crane wheel using a 2000 ton spotting press. It registered 1700t peak before it dropped out.

That has to be a horrifying sound.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009
Probation

kastein posted:

the way I wheel (like a blind retarded man)

I love this.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009
Probation

OK, I just listened to the video with headphones on and I have to say there's not much to go on with that.

If it's rod knock, it's very light an probably easily salvageable if you don't run it too much more like that. But I'd say it's just as likely that you have one or more injectors shitted up, which is a much easier proposition to deal with.

If I were in your position, I'd be going after the injectors first, as they likely need to be serviced anyway.

e: Missed your edit......piston slap? I suppose it COULD be, but that should go away when warm and off idle unless the skirts are pretty horribly damaged. If the injectors don't do the trick you should be able to see some telltale scoring at the bottoms of the bores when you have the pan off.

Motronic fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Oct 24, 2013

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009
Probation

kastein posted:

IIRC one of the injectors was pretty badly coked up when I pulled it apart last time

This alone should make your rock knock fears greatly reduced from "oh poo poo oh poo poo" to a mere possibility down the list. Diesels sound like that when they aren't getting fueled properly. Listen to any old rear end air compressor that runs off of a diesel (the kinds that run on 4 cyl and use the last 2 solely for compressing air). They always sound like they're ready to throw a rod.

Further edit: Have you ever had an old diesel that you started in the cold that had one or more bad glow plugs? You get the exact same sound until the motor warms itself up on those cylinders because they are essentially under-fueled (not burning completely).

Motronic fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Oct 24, 2013

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009
Probation

kastein posted:

January 2nd I've set aside for dealing with the registry of motor vehicles because I KNOW it's gonna take an entire day to straighten out.

Hungover DMV employees being asked to do poo poo none of them are likely to have ever done before and getting it accomplished in a single day?

That is just so optimistic. Never change.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009
Probation

Safety Dance posted:

Remind me what has to happen before you can register the 5 ton.

It need to be old enough. They (the military) screwed him by retitling it to current year after something like an engine rebuild so it's titled like a dozen or more years newer than it actually is.

I would have pulled off a constructed title on it if I were him, but that may not be possible there like it is in PA.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009
Probation

kastein posted:

I wanted to, but I have a PA title

I didn't realize it was a PA title. Oh well....9 months is easier at this point. Otherwise you could have "sold" it to me to "reconstruct" in PA and get titled so I could "sell" it back to you. By the time that happens the VIN should show up as an appropriate year, or you at least have an opportunity to fight to correct it.

Been there done that.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009
Probation
This has to be some drat good launching fun coming out way.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009
Probation

Terrible Robot posted:

The closest junkyard to me doesn't let you pull your parts and they charge outrageous prices for everything, like maybe 25% less than what new poo poo would cost. They also always have this...attitude about them. I assume it's because I only ever want import/euro parts, and most of their regulars are ignorant beer-bellied hicks with rusty old F-150s. gently caress them.

Hey! That's my closest yard too!

They also lie to me when outright asked if it's in their yard or they are getting it form somewhere else.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009
Probation

kastein posted:

$480 shipped for 4x 235/75R15 MTs is really not bad. I love me some retreads.

Are those treadwrights? I was thinking of trying a set for my heap.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009
Probation
That looks so much better on the new tires.

Also, you are a masterful redneck. Bravo.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009
Probation

kastein posted:

Motronic probably shouldn't watch this :aaaaa:

I'm not gonna spend 27 minutes watching a video that appears to be mostly your rear end. Just tell me the time where you bust out the blue tipped wrench for the head bolts.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009
Probation

kastein posted:

Right about 7:20 I "disconnected" an AC line and got blasted with R134a and PAG oil for my efforts.

Rapid unplanned disassembly. It happens. I'm sure you were positive there was nothing left in there.

kastein posted:

And I don't really have an rear end, dammit.

You got enough for me, babycakaes.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009
Probation

ACEofsnett posted:

You know that fantasy everybody has, where you hit that virgin junkyard, with stock that has sat untouched for thirty years.. Kastein and I hit that junkyard today. We lived the dream. This *was* a "we-pull-it" that is now under new management and functioning as a "you-pull-it."

I need the tail lights out of that 942 if they're in good shape. Particularly the driver's side one.

Would either of you mind grabbing them if you're in there again any time soon?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009
Probation

kastein posted:

We may be going back to pull a few things some day this week, not sure. I need to talk money with a concrete company that isn't looking to sell something that I want.

And there's a kingpin dana 60 there that I might pull just to see if I can flip it. They quoted me $200, I can sit on it forever at that price, or sell it for at least 500, probably more like 750 to 800, within a few weeks.

Well if you have the time I'd appreciate the help. If they are in average condition but usable (not cracked, hazed, or falling out) they are worth like $40 for the pair. If they are as nice as they should be for a car that looks that good in the picture (I'm sure that's not the case considering it sitting in a yard) they could be worth closer to $100. But I seriously doubt they would be of that caliber.

Also FYI they are help in with the obvious 6 or so nuts that you access through the interior and are (should be) pretty well stuck in with black strip caulk. So if it's not a warm summer day (it won't be) you may need to apply some pressure for a bit until they start to rip loose.

Thanks for looking if you get the chance.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009
Probation

kastein posted:

Motronic, the left tail light is there (it's got some very mild weather cracking, you know the type, roughly 1/4-1/2" long cracks that go about 1/2 of the way through the plastic, but don't seem to perforate) but the right one walked off in the last week apparently. Should I pull it tomorrow?

Well, that would make it better than my left tail, so sure. Thanks.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009
Probation

kastein posted:

(dogleg box... except 5th and 4th are swapped, because Reasons. That's gonna throw me for a while. This is why I wanted an RTX box, because they have a normal shift pattern, but oh well, I'll get used to it. Anyone who has driven a deuce and a half is already familiar with this goofy pattern, the Spicer gearbox in those uses the same setup.)

4th and 5th are swapped because when you're unloaded you're going to be shifting (maybe 1)-2-4-7-9-10. It's basically for convenience.

LL is basically like putting your transfer case in 4-lo, and it's sometimes a bitch to get in and out of. It's definitely not something you just pop in and out of like the low-high range selector.

edit: You probably already know this, but you're going to need air in (and back out) of the cab going to the shift knob for the range selectors. And I'm pretty sure you're supposed to have a clutch switch for the range selection, but I'm also pretty sure it works just fine without (it will go into the selected range the next time it is taken out of gear, meaning you just preselect the range.....so like you're in 4th getting ready to shift to 7th, you can just flip the range selector whenever - just make sure you're really ready, or you'll end up doing stupid poo poo like changing you mine to downshift into 2nd and end up in 7th instead - with lots of horrible "I don't drive so good" noises).

Motronic fucked around with this message at 16:02 on May 25, 2014

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009
Probation

Geirskogul posted:

Every time I've thought something was valve seals, due to logic, I've always been hosed with rings. Probably bad luck

Leak down test would confirm......but that sounds like work.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009
Probation

kastein posted:

Air. Boats are just holes in the water to throw money into (I have enough places to throw my money) and I prefer to not drown.

Could be for both.

(Yes, that is an $8000 reduction unit on the back of that with one stump puller prop and a counter rotating regular prop.)

Motronic fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Jul 22, 2014

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009
Probation

bobbilljim posted:

well there goes my plan to recrimp the world's worst jumper leads with my vise grips

DO IT. We need more goon car fire pics.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009
Probation

Mighty Horse posted:

used to know a guy who would crimp big cables in a vise and did an amazing job. He would center punch the connector first by hand slightly, then pop a ball bearing in the divot, line it all up in the vise and crush.

That's how I was taught to do it. It's super easy and works really well.

Definitely slower than a purpose built tool, but hey.....I already have that stuff.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009
Probation

kastein posted:

They threw it in the back lot with some poly wrap on it for him today.

Thanks again. I'm leaving in a few minutes to pick it up. Hopefully I can miss NYC traffic in both directions.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009
Probation
I obviously just paid the Kastein price for this thing because the guy checking me out didn't believe it and had to call Joe over to do a bunch of price overrides and removing core charges.

It came with every accessory including the drat AC compressor and ECM.

Thanks again! Time to drive another 4.5 hours. Totally worth it, even with the price of diesel.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009
Probation

kastein posted:

No problem dude! I still can't believe that kind of freak luck, it was just sitting there. I initially only looked at it to sharpen up my motor identification game and then went "wait a minute, who the hell was looking for one of these?".

I'm honestly not sure if that AC compressor went with that engine package but it was on the same cart, so I stuck it in the pile where it appeared to belong and hoped they didn't notice that it was unbolted, just in case it was from the same donor and you needed it. Apparently it worked :haw:

Hell yeah it worked. I just dropped it in the garage. Coil packs, the entire fuse box.......holy crap there's a lot of stuff on here.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009
Probation

ACEofsnett posted:

Argghhhh, roll pins! My AR-15 lower building PTSD! TRIGGER WARNING THAT poo poo!

If you have the right punch (you know, a roll pin punch) the go right in.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009
Probation
Ken was talking about needing to get a motorcycle endorsement on his license, so I now know for a fact it's this:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009
Probation

Big Daddy Keynes posted:

I had no idea a justy could even turn an a/c compressor

It's a combo deal, A/C and jake brake.