Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Discernibly Turgid
Mar 30, 2010

This was not the improvement I was asking for!
For what it’s worth (and I’m painfully aware it may be vanishingly little), there’s a Facebook-less constituency of at least one that really misses the action.

Glad to hear you’re making some progress!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discernibly Turgid
Mar 30, 2010

Literally tipped my hat toward my phone screen. Your posting is a great source of inspiration to get back at my own projects.

Nice work, man.

Discernibly Turgid
Mar 30, 2010

That fuel pump motor made me laugh aloud at work in the same amused/nervous/conspicuous way one would laugh if they’d just seen a really funny video of someone getting hurt (but also probably killed.)

And here I was, feeling smug about necromancing some vintage CD transports.

I get a lot of joy and inspiration out of these, Ken. Yeah, some of it is Schadenfreude, but only a tiny bit.

Nice work, man.

Discernibly Turgid
Mar 30, 2010

drat. Next-level work, Ken.

Genuinely inspiring stuff which, thanks to the wonders of prescription drugs and a 40-years-late ADHD diagnosis, is inspiration I can actually turn into something.

Keep it coming.

Discernibly Turgid
Mar 30, 2010

[url=] https://jalopnik.com/peoples-curse-fails-to-kill-diesel-benz-once-angry-mob-5041045[/url]

“(...)it was decided to take the car, remove the oil cap, run the engine at WOT, while the other team captains dropped items into the engine. Things that were put into the poor engine included New England Clam Chowder, milk-o-magnesia, fabric softener, Heiniken Beer, a loose bolt, cleanser, and other things. You know what, the engine did not seized.”

Not all engines are created equal.

Discernibly Turgid
Mar 30, 2010

Screw baking soda and duct tape, Macguyver was a chump.

That is a fantastic improvised tool. Hell, that’s the kind of tool that, even with HF fit and finish, could easily be marketed and sold to mechanics/repair shops all over the place if it existed in any kind of production-esque form.

I’m inspired for the day. Thanks, Ken.

Time to find a way to un-gently caress the main tensioner on my bandsaw...

Discernibly Turgid
Mar 30, 2010

I’ve only ever owned a single pickup (88’ S10 with a 5-speed, indestructible 2.5L, a biblical amount of rust, no AC, no PS, and no power brakes [WTF 80s GM?]) and I loath that breed of automobile.

That said, I loving love this Honcho. The Bionic Commando crane attachment just adds to that affection.

Thanks for this thread, man. As previously mentioned, it helps me keep pushing ahead with my interminable, Sisyphean projects. Your thread too, Elviscat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discernibly Turgid
Mar 30, 2010

Phone posting, so no citations included here…

I recall seeing that Chrysler argued (with these CVTs) that they aren’t in breach of warranty because they’ve either fixed them or (this cracks me up) they aren’t actually defective if/when an individual dealership claims to be unable to reproduce this universal (and universally known) issue.

The funnier (because it feels like the automotive section from the Onion) one is with the 9-speed transmission lawsuit that they’re trying to get tossed via a method as novel as it is short-sighted: FCA is claiming (by way of lawyers to whom they’re giving real money) that the transmissions in question are, almost to a one, free of manufacturing defects. They say that the warranty isn’t being violated because the components have been manufactured precisely according to their design and that the flaw is, in fact the design, and that a terrible design, while terrible, isn’t a manufacturing defect per se.

“You should know by now that our stuff is poo poo even before it makes the jump from paper to reality,” is, as it turns out, not as appealing a turd sandwich to a federal judge as the aforementioned lawyers had hoped it would be.