Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

Slow is Fast posted:

Ken is awesome. Spergs out in IRC. And goes with us on mad sick junkyard runs. He introduced me to the method of parts removal of "break everything around the part you need to get it out faster", made the mustang so much quicker.

I also sat in the five ton and rode in the MJ.

Also also. It was chris who broke the oh poo poo handle not me.

I have no recollection of breaking the oh poo poo handle in the MJ. Also, just to clarify for everyone, I'm not the Chris who picked up the 5ton with ken. I'd have stopped and been like, dude, your truck is making GBS threads rubber.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

Look what came in the mail today with my new waterpump :3:

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

Nodoze posted:

If you want to piss him off have him dig the turbo out of a Volvo :v:

Trust me, it would take about 5 minutes. It would be hilarious. You underestimate the powers of ken with a BFH.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

kastein posted:

Thanks, but I have an 8.25 strapped to the back of my XJ right now :v:

I may be interested in it but you should probably toss it on the trading post for $100 and then make fun of all the low ballers who want it for $25 because they have to drive so far to get it.

But but but.... it's right off the highway! :v:

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

kastein posted:

The oh-poo poo handle isn't torn off this jeep (yet.)

I know how to fix that ..

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

kastein posted:

Until I find a way to retrieve it, yes.

This is likely to involve me bribing someone with a significant amount of beer/gas money to drive me out there, because I can do some things, but driving two cars at once isn't among them :haw:

This is what you have the 5 ton for.... :v:

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

kastein posted:

:siren: I FINALLY HAVE SOME DTCs! :siren:

P0301 P0302. #1 #2 misfire. That's the front two cylinders, which I am 95% sure share a waste spark coil...

Made it to slow is fast's place for the CJ wiring harness project. On the way up stopped for a bit for food and it poo poo out on me afterwards. Waited 7 minutes of idling without touching the controls, tried to drive it, it pooped out the second I eased up on the clutch, very weak even though I was giving it more than normal throttle.

He has an obd2 dongle and Torque, so hopefully we can get it to fail tomorrow and see which sensor reading(s) are going pear shaped. If none, I am going to throw a coilpack at it and see if this appeases the ECU.

Unsure if I suspect the CTS or the coilpack more now. Either way, it will be figured out shortly and then I am ordering a goddamn bluetooth obd2 dongle like I should have years ago.

E: need to check the harness for signs of damage, too.

Cylinder 1 & 2 misfire yells coil pack usually.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

kastein posted:

gently caress no, that's 14's jam. I won't subject myself to that kind of torture.

It's more like cars I, chrisgt, and 14 own presently.

Two of my cars are rusted out, broken in half, and not safe to drive anymore... Don't get a car like me.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

I can see subaru actually designing a 3-cylinder boxer, though....

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

kastein posted:

Subaru is dumb and uses model names and trim packages as each other alternately.

Words that have been both model names and trim packages:
GL
DL
Outback (iirc)
Impreza (iirc)

GL/DL are annoying ones, yes.

Impreza is always a model, outback is always a trim package.
A legacy outback is a lifted legacy with two tone, an impreza outback is basically the same thing.

Foresters are weird because it's an impreza that was squished into an ugly box.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

kastein posted:

Fun fact, they still haven't loving learned, the EJ motors have the cams riding directly on the aluminum cylinder head instead of in a bearing. At least they supply pressurized oil to those though...

To be fair, subaru cams almost always outlast the crank, so it's a moot point ...

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

kastein posted:

It's more like shaking a wooden box full of billiard balls TBH.

Unlikely that it'll be registered or insured in the near future so it will probably mostly sit, but I have a few things I need to get done around the house and yard that require heavier lifting than the MJ can provide. And I don't want the engine sitting open any longer than it already has, which has already been too long.

Also the Justy and 5 ton accelerate about the same (great up to 7mph, snoozefest after that) so they are more similar than you would think :haw:

Yea, except the 5 ton could idle over a cop car, and the justy would stall without even scratching the paint.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

Elmnt80 posted:

I wonder if the one with the giant tumor solenoid is a nippondenso one and the other is made by someone else.

The "giant tumor solenoid" is actually the motor. The other half of the thing has a weird reduction gear drive and a big strange mushroom plunger thingy that has the combind function of pushing out the bendix gear and actuating the high current contacts. Which are too small and eventually burn out.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

Wifey's dad is super stoked about the tire machine. Probably head down some time mid next month with slow because he needs another engine for his subaru, too. So we'll drag my trailer down with the mershitties and haul everything home.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

If your doughnut gasket doesn't leak, don't temp fate by touching it. I just drop the exhaust as one piece and drag it out the back of the car. That way I don't have to touch flanges that will break off if i touch em with a wrench.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

gileadexile posted:

That thing has less visible rust than my WJ daily driver. I'm assuming the worst isn't obvious?

If you look closely you'll notice rocker panel and rear quarter rust. It also appears to have, uhhh.... pickaxe damage :lol:

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

I hope this stupid move Photobucket made kills them for good.

I hope not, it's already ruining threads for the last 15 years...

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

Might also be a good idea to do a drain/fill or two plus a filter change on the auto trans. I think 01 is the tail end of the delayed engagement issue, fresh fluid helps them last longer apparently. Those have an external spin-on filter, too.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

They start my taking a long time going into gear from P or N. Something about a defective seal around the reverse actuator piston or something that causes low pressure. I've never fixed one, but apparently it can be done dropping the valve body in car.... A big cup of nope for me.
This is the one case where magic poo poo in a bottle works, we had many customers cars barely engage into gear that worked great with Lucas TransX. It's a great stopgap until the next sucker buys it on craigslist :v:

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

kastein posted:

It seems to go into reverse fine but forward takes up to a couple seconds. It also seems to shift oddly on the highway sometimes.

"Subaru 4EATs are more reliable than 5MTs, they said. It'll be fun, they said."

I'm going to be rather cross if the rose tinted glasses were involved in those statements. loving Subarus

I believe I made that statement about gen 1 transmissions, and 02+ gen 2 transmissions :v:
Save the clutch and brake pedal out of the old forester and the transmission if good, it's an extremely easy swap.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

thebigcow posted:

The 4EAT in my 2001 would hesitate, then eventually developed a problem where it could only go in drive once a day. If you took it out of drive it wouldn't do it again for roughly 24 hours. Reverse worked fine though.

All of them between 99 and 01 do that, it's a fairly well documented issue.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

kastein posted:

Yeah, everyone got loving specific as soon as I bought one. For the last 6 years it's been nonspecific "4eat is more reliable than 5mt, the non WRX 5mt blows up eventually".

So. The problem is in the valve body, or the geartrain?

Neither, it's a seal on, I believe, the reverse actuator piston. I've never poked that deep into one, but a friend of mine at a Subaru indy shop said you can drop the VB and replace it. Sounds like a can of nope to me.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

Wrar posted:

Did they fix that with the 5EAT?

Sure, but the 4eat also fixed it with a better design in 02.

The auto has a 4.44 final drive, the manual has a 4.11.

the generation 1 transmissions have an external adjustment for the brake band that fixes the 3rd gear flare, if the generation 2 trans has that, do it before you destroy something. I'd start with a fluid/filter change, though.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Ken is pretty hard on equipment.

Ask him about the toilet that exploded.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

iwentdoodie posted:

God drat, that's equipment I wish I had. Instead I drop off tires and go back 6 hours later, praying they're installed, and paying them drat near the value of the tire to install them, in the case of the civic.

Or you show up an they hosed up directional tires, and now you have three right sides.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

Slow is Fast posted:

I bought a mounter and balancer and never looked back. Totally worth it to not have to deal with people.

Except all the people who show up to use it :v:

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

Enourmo posted:

Sometimes the machines go bad and tell you to keep adding weight on opposite sides. And if you've got a mouth breather on the ticket they'll just nod and keep on doing it till you've got 5 pounds of sticky weights on there.

Or the wheel didn't seat straight on the machine. If I get a wheel doing that, I usually put it to the side and do the next one, come back and gently caress with it later. Usually the next time it sits straight on the machine and no problem.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

Rent a car hauler and have ACE drive all your cars cross country.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

kastein posted:

I hate to disappoint but I'm going to put the rest of the stock van exhaust on it, including a muffler that's like the size of a suitcase. You'll barely be able to hear the engine when it's on :v: it's not the exhaust I really want to run but it was 21 dollars at the junkyard and I knew the tubing would be the right diameter, so I'll spend another quality evening with the mig welder and bandsaw once I get the hangar cleaned out a bit and the rear axle installed.

My ears are still ringing from yesterday. It's so loud it's more of a whole body experience.

The runway is still active, yes. It's an uncontrolled field and the hang glider and ultralight clubs were packing up for the day because there were dark ominous clouds getting very close, so I just looked around for people staging for takeoff or approaching for landing before doing my thing.

Squawk 1200 and loving send it.
The FAA has decided that "uncontrolled field" sounds too wild west, and have since started calling it a "non-towered airport."

I can't wait to see that thing offroad. I ripped the oh-poo poo handle off the comanche, excited to see what damage goes on here :v:

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

kastein posted:

Imma be pissed if I buy an engine, put it in my truck, and find out you loosened the bolts for me 5000 miles later. :v:

*Adds "check all accessory bolts" to the list for the Honcho*

I only throw bolts down the intake manifold of ford engines, so you should be safe there.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

shy boy from chess club posted:

Some Saab engines may come with 6lbs of beans in the oil pan

Do you have the picture of that? I couldn't find it. Also the bmw that was in a fire, we gave that one a custom kidney bean grill.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

kastein posted:

Thursday was EVENTFUL.

My buddy Jack and I won a bunch of industrial surplus at auction Wednesday, and I volunteered to drive 2 hours to Concord NH to pick it all up. Naturally I woke up late because of who I am as a person, so I had to cut 15 minutes off a 2 hour GPS estimate. Not to worry, I got this. So I hop in the blue MJ and hit the highway at what counts for lightspeed in it. Made it all the way to Nashua before I decided to pass a town cop on rt3 at the same speed 4 other people passed him at, forgetting my out of state plates made me more of a target. Naturally, I got pulled over, but only got a verbal warning luckily. Go to start the truck and... Clunk. gently caress.

Try again and the starter whirs but doesn't crank the engine, so I crawl under with a random blunt object to smack it and... What the gently caress? Why is my starter hanging by the wires?

Turns out tightening the starter bolts after swapping the trans is important. They vibrated out after about 100 miles it seems.

I sent this to Jack without any explanation and then went radio silent for like ten minutes. He knows me so he was immediately assuming I needed bail money. April fool's came early this year I guess.

LOL he was probably wondering if the ATM was gonna give him enough money for whatever poo poo you got into.
I wish I'd known about this, Concord is just a hop up 93 for me.
And yes, Don't speed in NH, especially if you have red license plates...

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

kastein posted:

Holy poo poo he lives

Finally recovered from the nail.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

kastein posted:

Well it looks like my shitbox Comanche trailer is getting bagged because I put like 600-800lb of tools in it and it's on the bumpstops and I have neither the time nor money to put metric ton leafs in the thing right now.

Yes, I have likely already considered the idea you are thinking of right now. I am also very cross about this because I should have realized the 37 year old factory springs in the MJ trailer were shithammered a long rear end time ago and yet I did not and now it's my problem that I created for myself and ignored until it was too late to fix it right.

So hopefully my local spring shop has decent prices on some decent 2600lb bags because all the online sellers either can't get them to me fast enough or have completely nonsense worthless information on their listing or are selling 1 bolt bottom 2600lb bags not 2 or 3 bolt bottom ones like I need.

if you're in a pinch, what about just adding some coil springs from the junk yard instead of bags.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

kastein posted:

Probably for Jack's j79 he got for the lols.

It looks like hptuners tech support has turned down the idea of them changing 8 bytes of ASCII in a binary, updating the checksum, and emailing the resulting hpt file to me, so seems I'll be learning to use pcmhammer and tunerpro next and forcibly shoehorning a 12577990 fuel system segment into a 12593058 OS for science shortly. And as a direct result will be able to tune all my future projects without paying them any ECU licensing fees anymore. Suit yourself I guess. I wanted to be lazy and keep paying $100 a tune but if you insist...

*bricks ECU and walks to work for science*

I need to get a spare ECU and do some playing with pcmhammer and tunerpro as well, it appears from my minimal playing around that I have codes for things like EGR and want to do some other tweaks. Probably fun since the 8.1 has a slightly less common OS...
I guess I can flash whatever the common P01 OS to my ECU and copy the tuning tables, this is what a sane person might do.