Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
you magnificent crazy bastard.

Nothing like having a DD project with deadlines!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Noted, and I'm stealing this for usage on mine.

Gm parts were factory on something right?! :glomp:

Holy poo poo. we both basically own amc products.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Coasterphreak posted:

Wait, who doesn't have a set in the bottom of their tool chest?

I ordered a set. but in all british fashion I got double jointed elbows and 5 wobbly fingers.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Safety Dance posted:

I love how much blood, sweat, and tears you pour into fixing your Jeeps so that you can drive them off of cliffs.

Thats the best feeling.

all the hours of frustration and bullshittery.

all to return the favor bouncing the fucker off the nearest biggest rock possible.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Bomb rear end!

Keep this up and you can put a v10 in the MJ aftermotherfuckingall.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

West SAAB Story posted:

That won't work out in your favor. It never does. EVER.

For once, I agree with you.

I better call mom. Its gonna be a cold one tonight.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Kastein, that plug looks very. very. british.
Old rovers/jags are littered with em.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

Is that the difference between the red and green cans? I was wondering which was better at the store the other day...

One works and melts your skin/lungs off. the other is 10% better than wd-40.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

kastein posted:

My visit to the Haus of Horrible Slow Vehicles

Slow cars and fast rust!

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Slow is Fast posted:

The solution is to get spare heads from me OR RTV THE gently caress out of it and sell the motor/car :v

Two years later someone will go to drop the header, the stud will come out, and they will cry forever as coolant is coming out.

schadenfreude goes full circle.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
With the way the jeep has treated him, I wouldn't be surprised if he used the subaru engine to build a flying gently caress.

Like this. but larger.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

kastein posted:

gently caress that silly rear end design. I think the B5 A4 brakes I worked on were less stupid.

What you're saying is that you need to swap B5 A4 brakes onto the foz.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I'm pretty convinced Hondas and Toyotas are the same cars with a body kit on and we just haven't noticed yet.

except one spins the wrong way in most of their cars.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

kastein posted:

Reminder, you can get AWD audis too. They are easier to work on.

Even the old first generations of 4matic arent as bad as the subaru stuff.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

kastein posted:

If it isn't 4wd or AWD and can't be made so, it has no place in my fleet of turds.

Highlander parts bolt into a camry, and make it awd. and lifted.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Hold the loving phone why did this not occur to me until right now

You'll someday learn I have more uses than sending dongsnaps. :D

Ken really should do this too.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Wait wait wait. What generations are you talking about here?

ones that might still exist in the rustbelt.

the one built from 01-06.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
For curiosities sake, what nuked the 3.0?

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Raluek posted:

Haha how is that even worth it.

Family.
It has some strange bonds man.

Mind you they saved kens rear end a few months ago.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Yesssssssss

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
It may or may not be a alvis stalwart.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Terrible Robot posted:

I heard he found one of those old ICBM carriers.

I would pay to watch him launch toiletjeep off that loving thing.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Raluek posted:

Well, we know it has cargo space, and it has front CVs so it's not a solid axle truck. And it's like what 14" and chrisgt have presently. So, something japanese, and probably a wagon?

Fucknag posted:

And also has a rear driveshaft and diff (so AWD) that "won't go bad" (so not an AWD Mazda :v:).

WRX?

P38 range rovers, Discovery IIs and WJ grand cherokees Limiteds (or whatever AWD ) have CV fronts with solid axles.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Soon ken is going to become the Subaru Whisperer

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Nearly every ohc engine I've dealt with does that. Especially motorcycle engines.

while it is penny pinching engineering, it does work.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Theres a few in Norcal too. I have no issue going to pick one up and shipping it to you

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Friends dont let friends put Autolites in anything other than a GM. That said those fuckers look wellll uuuuussssed

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Torn Quad Jones posted:

Hey Ken since your killing the red jeep was wondering if you would be willing to sell the motor I need one for my 98. I'm on long Island and can grab it whenever it's convenient for you.

Christine lives on

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Holyshit! Glad you're ok.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Tremek posted:

csb has an X220T that will never die and (I think) he still swears by.

Confirm.
new from 2011, has outlived 3 laptops since. still gets 6-9 hours on the original batteries running 18.10. (16.04 was better with ~12hrs). it has gone around the world and generally just won't loving die.

i7/2620m
16gb
1.5tb ssd.
Hack the bios and the pcexpress card slot can be used as a 1x pci-e lane. they're great little machines.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

shy boy from chess club posted:

Yea gently caress facebook it's not even worth it to me for marketplace or car stuff. I finally caved and got Twitter and if you choose who to follow carefully it's actually ok.

Add me to the still reads this thread crew

Fermented Tinal posted:

Come back Ken, we miss you.

Not an emptyquote.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

kastein posted:

Pretty much. Especially if it means being able to AAA to the closest junkyard or parts store and fix it in their parking lot instead of having to buy stuff, then remember it needs modifying, then find borrow or buy the tools to do so or take it to a machine shop on foot, etc etc etc.

The wold is Lego. Build from the most common bricks.

Your fuse panel mount turned out awesome

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

kastein posted:

Barely. I still spend most of my time on the house. But I dunno how this truck is getting to Washington if it's not drivable and I'll be damned if I'm leaving it here.

If you're still around for NEFR and need a hand lemme know.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Elviscat posted:

Existing tank and new external oil pump seems like a piece of piss to install, if it's in the price range just run it.

This. If it has supply issues, put the external pump in a can or use a damper behind it. Priming can be a bitch. use a dedicated lift pump if needed. Fuel cells are awesome, cost aside they come with their own mounting pains. As for the XJ tank, do you, Overbuild the poo poo out of it, however it's an il-advised solution from a liability perspective.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

kastein posted:

They literally spent thousands of dollars on every electric fan conversion kit on the drat market, one after the other, trying to make it work. Every one claimed to be an upgrade. Every one moved less air than stock. They actually put them in a wind tunnel and measured the flow produced *correctly* instead of with a dumb anemometer you stick in the flow (in the spot that reads highest, naturally) and then multiply by the fan area like fan ppl conversion kit sellers do.

There's a reason I'm doing this. I debated not even mentioning it because I knew it would turn into a debate I've already played through ten times in my head, but I can't leave well enough alone :v:

I wanted to stay outta this, but eh. I want to know more about this controlled fan clutch, I've thought about throwing one from a 6.0PSD in my shitheap for a while. Will this give you the best of both worlds? there are running conditions where a fan override is really needed.

I've done electrics, Taurus/mkVIII fans, volvo fans, bespoke electrics. in the dirt a clutch has its place. In the last rover there was a reason why I used a 5.3 LS clutchfan on it. The stocker, much less an electric couldn't keep the warmed over engine cool.

The electrics do just fine under a light load. Put them under a heavy load in a heatsoaked enginebay and things go to poo poo righteously fast. Add in 120F ambient temperatures and sand, almost nothing is going to keep it chill. To get around this, radiators are relocated and supersized with larger e-fans like you see in prerunners and ultra4. Part the problem with off the shelf 4wds is the bullshit hanging out in front of the radiator, bumpers, winches, condensers, etc. Like others said, motors have to be small to fit, which means it's not going to spin a fan with an aggressive pitch. You need the volume here. I've tinkered with radiator sprayers (like a windshield washer jet or a porch mister) with good results in the desert. That with a electric would work. That with a selectable clutch fan, would be the best kind of overkill.

The higher amp drawing fans would always cause voltage sag at idle causing the fan to move less air. They don't like mud or moon dust. The two major use cases I remember where elevated coolant tempertures presented was at high load low speed (sand and hill climbs) , and at high speed high load driving(lake beds, sand, highways) . the 5.3 LS fan that I ran on the rover would pull roughly 40hp off the engine, it made a noticable reduction in power when it and the aircon was engaged.

There's a reason why heavy duty vehicles run switchable engine driven fans. The pitch and diameter can be pushed by no shortage of power which allow for designs that move more air.

I remember CSB also had some experiments with changing out ("maintaining") the viscous clutch oil in his heap as well. Suspect a lot of them are simply not running as well as they once were from contamination.

yup. Four years later it is still working fine. I vaguely recall 50cc of 10,000 cSt r/c diff fluid. you'll need to experiment with the clutch to find the right volume of fluid.

E: electric cooling pumps can be pwm operated based on temperatures. That one aspect alone gives you greater control over the cooling temperatures and how long the coolant sits in the radiator or the block respectively. with a standard engine driven pump the thermostat controls that dwell time.

cursedshitbox fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Apr 5, 2020

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

kastein posted:

E: some vehicles such as the V8 WJs use a hydraulic cooling fan, as well. Much more power than electric fans and more flexibility in mounting (and tighter duct clearances possible which increases efficiency markedly), but no mechanical-electrical-mechanical conversion losses.

90s Lexus ES300s did this as well, operated by the power assisted steering system.
I've also seen variants on heavy machinery

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
That fuel pump motor is roached. It did its time. I've never seen one that worn.

I said it on snapchat and i'll say it again, that PDC mount looks so good.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

It's a great chip and it's a lot easier to make sure you're getting "a good one" versus the broad spectrum of ESP8266s with different amounts of flash and the occasional mis-labelling fraud.

agreed.
It's so cheap, versatile, and easy to work with that there's no reason to not use the poo poo out of em.

it'll also do can bus and has native sd support.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Awww gently caress YES!!

Is that in low range?