Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

THIS CONVERSATION IS NONPRODUCTIVE!
I'm not looking forward to doing the hard lines on the front my jeep this spring. I need to change my soft lines and my current hard lines look like they'll leak if you even think of touching them. I'm just going to get the pre-bent ones from the dealer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

EightBit posted:

Isn't 3.55 a rare ratio in factory Jeeps?

No, its standard for the 4.0l/auto combo. Now factory 4.10's.. those are a bit rare.

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

commissargribb posted:

new tire day is one of the best days.

Ace hard parked before we went to get lunch.

then we pulled a trailer covered in snow.

New tires were installed on the rims I got yesterday. We balanced them and put them on in the rain. It kinda sucked but they look pretty cool.

TreadWright tires right? I love em on my XJ.

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

Motronic posted:

I've been considering a set of tall skinnies for my Rover now that I've lifted it a bit. I don't know anyone personally who's used them, but they seem to be well reviewed on a lot of offroading sites.

This is what I was looking at:

https://www.treadwright.com/p-27-235-85r16-axiom-a-t-e.aspx

What ones do you have and how long have you had them/how many miles?

I have 31's in the Gaurd Dog's. I've had em a little over a year and drive on em every day. Never had a single issue from em. They still look brand new. Mine came on Firestone Destination a/t's carcasses.

Veeb0rg fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Feb 20, 2013

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

Motronic posted:

My concern with the Gard Dogs was just how aggressive they were...looks great for off road but I was concerned with on road noise, wet performance and wear. I guess I can cross "wear" off that list.

I've never had any issue with them in the rain and I've driven in some horrendous downpours.. They do "sing" at highway speeds but its nothing horrible, My old BFG MT's were way louder. They're certainly no where near Swampers's in noise level.

Veeb0rg fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Feb 20, 2013

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

http://www.bsfab.net/?p=26

I'm sure you've seen this TC linkage mod, Me and a bunch of local jeep guys are getting together next weekend to do it on about 4 different rigs. One of the guys has done it to his rig in the past, its fairly simple, straight forward and gets rid of that stupid factory setup. The only difference is we're using Linkages for lawn mowers found at Home Depo instead of heim joints.

MTD Lawn Tractor ball joints

Veeb0rg fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Mar 2, 2013

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

I'd love to see pics of this when your done.

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

I'm half temped to ask you to junkyard piece a 29spline 8.25 LSD with disc brakes together for me. Shipping an axle would be a pain though.

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

kastein posted:

It would be pretty expensive, in fact it'd probably outweigh the cost savings by doing that. Not much of a pain though, an 8.25 would fit on a long narrow pallet pretty easily and they aren't even heavy enough to need anything to unload out of my truck onto a freight dock, just pick the sucker up and move it. Last time I got a freight quote for shipping an axle it ended up being around $1 per pound shipped, which puts an 8.25 shipment at around 200 just for shipping. Way above what the axle would end up being worth, IMO.

Gonna be up in mass anytime soon? We can hit the yard and throw one together. Expect to need to buy 10 ring gear bolts ($12 on rockauto) a pair of axle tube seals ($6 at autozone) and maybe some other stuff if you feel like refreshing it "while we're in there."

I live in Maryland, I never have time to travel much.

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

kastein posted:

The one saving grace is that Ace found a factory rollup cargo cover for his XJ in good condition in the back of one of the XJs at the yard. Those aren't common, finding them intact is even less common, and they only charged $11 for it.

I've got one in my dining room, its a nice grey one. I've not tried to put it back on since i put the 31 spare in though. I found mine at the junkyard too, I didn't know they were all that rare..

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

I'm not sure what your building, but I like the cut of your jib there mister..

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

My jeep blew its rear hardline when I was getting new tires mounted.. They just seem love to choose the best times.

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

Ferremit posted:

So let me get this straight... Instead of welding a tube through the chassis/ unibody and then installing a bushing and a thru bolt with a nut they used a bolt into a captive nut? What kind of insanity is that?

A captive nut that's then sealed in its own pocket outside of the "frame" rail. Thus making it totally inaccessible without cutting something.

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

I've had my treadwrights on the jeep for about 2 years now, they have hardly any wear. Love em, great tires.

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

If you get to the MD/VA area, First drink is on me.

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

That's how my "friend" killed my car. 60amp in a 30amp slot. ASD wire melted through out the entire engine compartment wire harness.

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

kastein posted:

I wonder if I can find a way to adapt an HO throttle body, IAC, and TPS easily, I only have ten million donors for those sitting around after all.

http://www.rockmodified.com/Tech/TB/tb_perf.htm Doesn't look that difficult thought that link reuses the renix tps.

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

I'd ask if you'd sell the external mirrors off the doors but I don't know if I want to put those cursed parts on my Jeep..

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

Krakkles posted:

I'm not kastein, but:

Housing and Harness. 15 minute install, stuff some nice hella bulbs in, AIM THEM (you'll need a T15 driver, I keep this one in my 4.0L Pee Rampage), and enjoy having better / brighter lights than most new cars.

I have that same harness worked great till the relays died. Never did find replacements, I ended up soldering in bosch standard sockets. Haven't had an issue since.

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

Tire machines are definitely on my list for my next house, along with a 4 post with the lift jacks in the middle and the wheels so I can move it to the side for vehicle storage when I don't need it for mechanical work.

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

kastein posted:

No I'm loving not

Got a late start due to my wife being scheduled for the shot today (wooo!) And rain, then the drat truck broke down 5 miles from home. All my tools were at the hangar though so I got AAA to drag me there. Did the new ignition switch hoping that would fix it but no luck. Dug in and... What the gently caress?

I've had more distributor issues on this truck than every other Jeep I've owned, combined. Getting pretty tired of it really.

Then Jack's TIG welder (which I hoped to use for the exhaust) didn't work because he got it fourth hand and it wasn't set up, so I had to figure that out, then I tried to learn to TIG weld stainless and that's not easy. So I packed my poo poo up and dragged it home and I'm going to MIG weld the exhaust tomorrow and Monday when the hangers and flanges arrive. Oh well. At least the TIG welder is set up now, though it has no arc extinguisher contactor (stinger is always hot) and no postflow due to being a Miller econo twin HF from 1985. I plan to fix both of those issues with a rack of relays and a little custom wiring next time I'm there but for now, MIG it is.

Had that happen to me once on my 95. Mine kept running but had a weird miss at idle that smoothed out at rpm. It took far to long to figure it out since its such an odd failure.

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

Darchangel posted:

I haven't been to the local Pick N Pull since they computerized and decided every little part had to be paid for. Rather than an intake manifold for a second-gen RX-7, they wanted to charge me for the lower manifold, the upper manifold, and the plenum, tripling the price to $90 - 10 years ago. I told them they could keep it and never went back. I found other local yards that were more accomodating, like what everdave is talking about. They look over the pile, charge for the largest items, and tack on $5 for "misc".
I do miss every car being up on the two welded wheels jackstands so you can get under them without asking for the forklift, though.
I need to go hit up one of my favorite yards to see if I can get a new rear axle for the Crown Vic. I waited long enough that the FB Marketplace one was sold.

LKQ around here now makes you note the vehicle you got the part from and will ask you for the information before checking you out. Oh and now they offer a warranty on every part, that you have to tell them you DON'T want or they automatically tack it on when you check out.

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

kastein posted:

Tried to replace an exhaust donut gasket on the MJ last night, got hosed by bad parts app database info because the new one didn't fit at all. Luckily the stock one had come out intact (how many times have you had that happen? This was the only time for me, ever) so I muttered a lot while shoving it back on there and still have an exhaust leak till the actual correct one comes from Amazon.

I don't know what the Mahle F7549 fits but it sure as gently caress isn't the 87-90 4.0L.

Quick google shows it fits 91-98 4.0l's and possibly the 4cyl dakota.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

Elviscat posted:

An LS swapped MJ would rip though.

Knew a guy locally who had a turbo LS swapped MJ. Thing was scary fast and made all the right noises.