Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

kastein posted:

Used my new OEM #24364 inline flaring tool, which is absolutely awesome.

That's the same one I have, and yes it is awesome. I like it enough that if I end up needing to redo the frame hard line for my rear brakes I just might do it with 3/16" instead of 1/4" just so I can use it instead of the damned bar flare tool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

kastein posted:

If it isn't 4wd or AWD and can't be made so, it has no place in my fleet of turds.

Get a rear-hit Camry and a front-hit MR2.

:getin:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Slow is Fast posted:

OF COURSE THE loving TAKE ONE WHEN IM TAKING OF MY SWEATSHIRT GOD drat IT

(USER HAS BEEN BANNED FOR THIS POST)

No homegrown :bahgawd:

Seeing that drain pan... your "CLR and buttmud" description suddenly seems quite accurate.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

MrChips posted:

This is basically an AI-produced version of Roadkill, it's the best!

That is, if Finnigan and Freiberger bought a 3-cylinder Japanese econobox.

It's how they really should've handled the Subaru episode.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

What's the Flaming River joint for? Love the ones on my C10.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Seat Safety Switch posted:

It's gonna be really weird going from the Justy to the 5-ton.

Well, how hard is it to climb into the cab after you park in the bed?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I'm guessing the existing one is already quite small, but worst case couldn't you find one that is smaller and fabricate a block-off plate to keep air from escaping around it - or just not give a gently caress if it does?

It also seems like a condenser should be something not insanely hard to get custom-built if need be.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I simply do not understand what drives people to dump poo poo like that out in the wilderness. I was on a trip this past weekend to a mountain that's a solid hour west of the very west edge of what you can call metro Phoenix, so solidly middle-of-nowhere, and there's still people dumping poo poo. Not even for target practice, just dumping their garbage.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Ahahaha. I saw that video and thought "now I want to build a rally MJ".

Looks like that truck has a solid front axle. Instead of dicking with a transaxle, seems like the bigger hurdle you'd have to solve is where the driveshaft connects to on the front / rear axles, since most trucks have the rear axle centered with the drivetrain and the front offset to match the transfer case. You'd want the front axle to have the differential centered, and then you'd need a transfer case / rear axle combination that both offset to the same side.

All of that seems 100% viable if you're the type of fabricobbler fabricator who can competently an engine cradle pointing backwards in the back of a truck frame.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

kastein posted:

It still stops as well as it did before, so I think the grooves in the rotor have bedded into the pads as well

Extra surface area :haw:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Also, from the look of things, LS-swapping a WJ is a pain in the dick.

Looked into it for... academic reasons. In case the 4.7 ever dies like 4.7s do. Yeah, that's the ticket.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

kastein posted:

Yeah, you've got a proprietary data bus no one really knows much about (except for guys who charge 4+ figures to build or do anything), a BCM, and an instrument panel and overhead computer that both want to hear things from the ECU via it. Even not counting the engine mounts, trans adapter, etc, just the wiring and databus concerns alone on a Vortec WJ build are going to be miserable unless you gut its electrical system and replace it with aftermarket gauges or something.

I was just thinking mechanically, it's not a minor bit of welding and banging. WJ engine bay is just a funny shape I guess.

Wonder if a LFX would fit, even down two cylinders it'd be up 40hp :haw:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

:stonklol:

That's... that's a thing.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Holy poo poo. Glad you're still with us.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

kastein posted:

I recommend using it to make all manner of balljoint removal, bearing install, and trans gear install tools.

I think I need to see video / diagrams of this because I am intrigued.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Hell yes.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Speaking of HPTuners limitations, because of their licensing model they can't support any sort of mismatched VIN / OS. So I can't, say, program a TJ or WJ VIN into a GM ECU, even though the ECU itself doesn't care.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

daslog posted:

Create a new channel on YouTube and document the one month journey and make millions.

Make sure to "accidentally" hurt yourself every time and go after the Electroboom audience.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Summit: here's thirty checkboxes but gently caress you for choosing more than five! Also are you a bot?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

As far as I know that's a flag you can set in the programming, but... did anyone ever figure out how to make those things last? That part was a repeat failure on my mom's Trailblazer. Would've been cheaper to buy a HPTuners license to tune out the CEL and put a regular clutch fan on it.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

The last years of the Trailblazer went back to a standard fan clutch that other than a lack of a pigtail, looks like it bolts up in the exact same way. So you should be able to have either configuration without modifying the shroud or fan arrangement.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

A lot of new trucks still come with viscous fans. Apparently GM thinks they've gotten the reliability issue solved with the computer controlled viscous fan because my Canyon has one. Looks like that's a diesel-specific thing - the gas ones seem to be electric or electric + viscous.

And yeah, the cooling available from viscous fans is pretty impressive. The fan in my TJ definitely moves more air than the Camaro fans in my C10, even at low engine speeds.

I like electric power steering in general but when it comes to offroad trucks, I don't see it replacing hydraulic power steering anytime soon. I'd love to see an electric version of "ram assist" steering.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Those look loving awesome.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

GMT800 squirters can't be worse than the single lovely nozzle in the center of the TJ hood.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

You'd better do the first fireup with that switch arrangement.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

:same:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Other sensors reading reliably - ECT in particular?

HPTuners used to have a built in balance test but it appears they removed it, though you can just disable individual injectors in it manually instead of futzing with plugs.

Did you check that the #1 cylinder coil is getting a signal?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I knew that setting existed but I've never heard of it being set that low. I'm pretty sure on my mom's 4.2L Trailblazer it was at least somewhere north of 2000RPM.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

1) HELL YES
2) what the gently caress is your camera doing to the audio, trying to treat the LS as noise?
3) HELL YES
4) the LS smile is real and never goes away
5) HELL YES
6) "should probably test the brakes okay they work"
7) HELL YES
8) HELL YES
69420) HELL loving YES

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

It's going in the Roadmaster.

You know it's going to happen, just admit it.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

06 could be 58x. Safest way to confirm is the color of the crank sensor and location of the cam sensor.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

kastein posted:

At least it's not interference, but Ford buried this motherfucker ten miles deep in bullshit and I can already tell it's going to be a total shitshow.

My favorite part was how they shoved a composite pipe into the water pump and ran that through the alternator bracket. It's a loving joy.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

231s are perfectly fine with a V8 in front of them. The only times I've seen them swapped out is if either someone already has a complete engine-to-transfer-case GM pullout they want to run, or they're going all in on an Atlas. Or some people will hybridize a GM and a Jeep transfer case to keep whatever SYE they already have and adapt a GM transmission to it.

If/when I ever swap my TJ, I'll be keeping the NV3550 as well so all I'm focused on is the engine-to-transmission mating.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I'm slightly amazed that has flare nuts on the transmission end, my '00 4L60E has the quick connect bullshit.

The only real solution is AN.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

kastein posted:

I have never ever had to shim a Jeep or Subaru starter, this is a bullshit design. Be better, GM.

You know what engine GM makes that doesn't need starter shims?

You know. :getin:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah, GM apparently figured out how to consistently cast a starter mount sometime between 1955 and 1997, so the GenIII+ engines shouldn't ever need shims.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

kastein posted:

(which is a great honking big contactor because Ford thinks you need one of those to power the solenoid on a starter for... Reasons?)

Overkill is the best kind of kill, and it beats the gently caress out of "run the solenoid current through three miles of wire and good luck getting the starter to kick when it's hot" like GM did.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

kastein posted:

Oh yeah, I was thinking of the little rubber squeeze bulb style ones.

If this even works once for this purpose it's worth it.

I used one of these years ago to pump stale gas out of the C10. It didn't turn into a gooey mess but I think about a week afterwards I tried to use it again and the seals had swollen to the point where it was all jammed up.

It's definitely disposable when dealing with fuel, but it works well at least that once. It's also possible to create a siphon with it as I found out when I stopped pumping and gas kept flowing.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

The only time Nospill cans suck is if your task is "empty the whole can into something" because that is a long time pressing a very stiff button with your thumb. They are perfect for filling up most equipment with <1gal tanks.

BraveUlysses posted:

yes, i saw that valvoline is doing this now

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Valvoline-Flex-Fill-SAE-75W-140-Full-Synthetic-Gear-Oil-1-QT-Squeeze-Pouch/332258803?athbdg=L1600

hope it's not patented it so that other brands will switch

I don't think it is, I'm pretty sure the first bagged gear oil I saw was Amsoil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Having a distributor isn't the root cause, it's the lack of any ability to correlate the ignition timing against the rest of the engine. 4.0 Jeeps had distributors through 1999, as did the L31 Vortec for its entire run, but both of those were also equipped with crankshaft position sensors. So with a distributor a tooth (or more) off, they should throw a cam/crank correlation error immediately.