Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Since we're asking AW4 questions ... mine is 200k+. It's not showing any signs of damage/wear, but I'd like to formulate a plan, for if/when it does. Is my best bet to buy a junkyard and get it rebuilt? Are there any aftermarket options worth throwing at it while doing so?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Are you doing this ASAP?

Because I'm going to do an 8.8 swap on my jeep in the next 2-3 months and if you're willing to wait, I'll give you a pre-pulled, known good 8.25 (29/open) for ... $150?

(I think you said you're in SoCal, this would be in the Ventura area, if that helps. I could probably arrange to drop it off but it would be much much better if you picked it up.)

\/\/ for what it's worth, this one is out of a 2000 XJ auto/4x4 and I *think* I won't need the driveshaft, but I'm not 100% sure yet.

Krakkles fucked around with this message at 19:42 on May 20, 2014

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

No, I'm in no real hurry - I might take you up on that. I'm in LA but I'd be willing to swing up your way or find a day when you're in the area to meet up.

Thanks for the offer - I'll maintain a casual eye on CL, but keep me updated on your swap!
Cool! I'll PM you my contact info.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

kastein posted:

Running out of ideas here and kinda pissed off because you can't buy these new. Junkyard only. And I am sick of pulling transmissions to get at them... when I can find them in the junkyard.
Put an auto in it :v:

Seriously, though, could you put a different manual in? Is there some version of the ax15 that had a better case design?

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

How in the gently caress is there a 30+ year old Jeep in Minnesota that looks that good? Holy poo poo. Talk about your Old Man Special.
Notice all of the pictures are angled downward - i.e., the areas most likely to be rusted are definitively not pictured.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

I'm not kastein, but:

Housing and Harness. 15 minute install, stuff some nice hella bulbs in, AIM THEM (you'll need a T15 driver, I keep this one in my 4.0L Pee Rampage), and enjoy having better / brighter lights than most new cars.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Veeb0rg posted:

I have that same harness worked great till the relays died. Never did find replacements, I ended up soldering in bosch standard sockets. Haven't had an issue since.
Mine is going on three years with no issue, but now I'm always going to worry about it! :mad:

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Discernibly Turgid posted:

For what it’s worth (and I’m painfully aware it may be vanishingly little), there’s a Facebook-less constituency of at least two that really misses the action.

Glad to hear you’re making some progress!

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Man, I still want one of those. I mean, I have nowhere to put it, I don't even know if I could register it in CA, and I know my wife would kill me, but it sure would be a fun truck.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Jegs: Yeah, we totally have that in stock, just let us charge your credit card and HAHAHAHA SIKE

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

That looks like a phone holder.

There isn't normally a button there, I think some had a clock and some may have had warning lights, but I've never seen a button.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Casual Encountess posted:

i have to say i admire that i think 1992 cherokee's minimalist interior. like honestly i like not having a bunch of crap. real weird to pull a knob to have headlights tho
Yeah, I have fond memories of the one my parents had when I was a kid (it was an '86, but the interior was mostly unchanged).

Wait until you realize the 2001 still had that knob :q:

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

2 things:

J-truck is goddamn awesome.
Is that tailgate latch stock? I'm pretty sure it's the door handle from a Gremlin. God I love AMC.
I was thinking it was from a toolbox, which, now that I think about it, isn't mutually exclusive.

Agreed. I love that truck, and I'm still mad about not seeing the one in my area that was listed for sale cheap a few years ago. I doubt I'll ever get one, but a J truck and an FSJ will always be on my "do it if at all possible" wish list.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

I would pretty definitely buy any kastein designed XJ parts, so yeah, finish 'em!

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

kastein posted:

Not kidding it loving blew my mind. If it wasn't the price of one of my cars I'd get one today.
Milwaukee is probably somewhere between a tenth and a third of the price and I'd bet similar/same torque.

Worth. It.

Edit: Hmmmm, those aren't as expensive as I imagined. I may have over-estimated the cost of your cars :v:

Krakkles fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Feb 9, 2021

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

StormDrain posted:

Last time I went for something hard to get at, it didn't even phase me. Just zip off everything in sight and stack it up. Maybe someone who needed an alternator got the easiest pick in the world.
I frequently loosen bolts on things in the junkyard when I'm bored. I figure when somebody wants that (alternator, whatever) they won't have to do as much work.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Hmmm, yeah, maybe I need to not do that.

I think I only do it on things that would be obviously loose and/or something you are already checking, but I'd hate to be wrong.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Yesssssssss

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Wait, what year is your Grand Wagoneer? This whole time I don't think I knew you had one!

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

kastein posted:

And done.

:stonklol:

I mean, needs must, but yeeeesh. That’s hilarious. Well done reinforcing the crap out of it.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

kastein posted:

I'm terrible at naming things but eventually expect to build things for all 4 Greek elements. (4x4, boats, aircraft, and some kind of fire related thing.)
I would like to request the first sold model of the kastein flamethrower, please. Name your price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

I miss going to events like that. If I were anywhere nearby, I'd be there in a heartbeat too.