Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

Slow is Fast posted:

Ken is awesome. Spergs out in IRC. And goes with us on mad sick junkyard runs. He introduced me to the method of parts removal of "break everything around the part you need to get it out faster", made the mustang so much quicker.

^this.

Also 99% of what I know about jeeps is his fault and I'm still not a fraction of the way there yet.

kastein posted:

The water heater fiasco shot to hell most of a day of wrenching, but at least it's warrantied until 2021 now, and only cost some gas to get to home depot and back.

And if it's short of 90 days from purchase you dont even have to worry about the warranty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

kastein posted:

I'll have plenty of time to sleep when I'm dead.

Don't joke about that- who else can design a freakin circuit board to change my vss signal? :science:

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.
Ouch! Luckily those bits are pretty cheap to replace.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

kastein posted:

The fork's all done too as far as I can tell, unless I can build it back up with AlumaWeld and file it down. It's not worth my time to screw around with it, I guess I'll see if I can pull that stuff at the JY Monday if we hit Sams on the way back from getting your new front axle.

Sounds like a plan. I wanted to see what sams has for 16in wheels anyhow.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

The quest for 3.55 gearing continues. A junkyard lead turned into a wild goosechase but now I have cool rims.

Tires tomorrow. WEEEE

Also, Kastein made a thing with wires. We'll find out tomorrow if it works.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

new tire day is one of the best days.

Ace hard parked before we went to get lunch.

then we pulled a trailer covered in snow.

New tires were installed on the rims I got yesterday. We balanced them and put them on in the rain. It kinda sucked but they look pretty cool.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

Veeb0rg posted:

TreadWright tires right? I love em on my XJ.

Ferremit posted:

I was going to say, where the gently caress did you find brand new Old School Wrangler MT/R's?

Yeah, I got a set of 265/70/16R "Guard Dogs" which are similar to a Goodyear MT/R. They were $110 a piece "new" and look loving amazing. Given what I've seen and heard of Kastein doing to his, I assumed they were a quality product and worth the money.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

kastein posted:

Install in Jeep Comanche?

This is what I would say.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

kastein posted:

Probably an M151 Mutt if I had to guess. Funky little jeeps, the military unfortunately cut almost all of them in half when they scrapped them.

I always thought they were pretty cool. Some of the older guys in my guard unit have been in long enough that they remember working on them which is pretty neat.

the original had some issues that were fixed in the A1 if I remember correctly. They were still not approved for highway use and for that reason they were scrapped. I wouldn't be surprised if someone decided that thousands of cool gas powered milsurp jeeps would undermine sales of domestic civilian vehicles and nixed sales to civilians for THAT reason but :tinfoil:

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

kastein posted:

a rear locker so I can go both uphill and downhill however.

Are you thinking about getting a selectable rear or just whatever you find?

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.
next up: the fuel gauge eh?

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

kastein posted:

Just the A-arm crane setup. I was bored so I modified it to fit that too. Fortunately, I had taken its recovery point dimensions into account when I built the A-arm in the first place, so I just had to cut a little off the mounting tabs on the A-arm to clear a few bolt heads and bam, it fit.

It still needs some air lines patched, the new tires put on, new paint, a few minor cab repairs, a new passenger seat (optional), a new head gasket, a head resurface/valve job ("while I'm in there"), and a few bolts for the radiator mount in addition to a pair of new batteries and possibly an in-chassis re-bearing job on the bottom end.

I can't register it as an antique until january 2 2015 anyhow, so I'm not in much of a hurry at this point.

Having a hosed passenger seat is never a deadlining fault IIRC. Just works better to keep the assistant driver awake during long trips.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

kastein posted:

An M816. :haw:

The only remaining vehicles I've considered purchasing are a Jeep J20, a Kaiser-Jeep M715, and an M816. If I got any one of those I'd immediately shitcan the POS XJ.

Oh, and I should probably throw a factory winch on the M54A2 before I do anything stupid with it. They "only" cost around a grand on craigslist generally.

The pos xj could practically be made redundant by finishing the 5.9 mj and your cargo trailer. Backup vehicle and storage respectively.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.
So like a retard, I sheared the ujoint strap bolts on my rear ds. :downsgun:

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.
Photos from yesterday:

Went shooting at a gravel pit.

pew pew

Then this happened.

And my rear DS had to come out.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

Astonishing Wang posted:

The headlight bezels on my tj look like deck screws too, but they have torx heads.

Do they look like deckmate screws? those have T25 heads.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

shiny new parts.

I swear I didn't put that tan paint on the threads

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

Ozmiander posted:

Did you get the bolt shanks out?

I think we're going to wait and try to remove the broken bolts with the yokes removed.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.
Off-roading day! woo!

pics not necessarily in order.

Today was awesome! The weather was superb and of course the top had to come off. I tried to take it easy on the obstacles because I still had to drive back home to Maine but nonetheless I got a pretty good feel for my new gears and 4-low.

And some videos

^ I had a hell of a time getting past the 2nd half of this one.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

kastein posted:

e: how the gently caress did I just stay up till 3AM nerd sperging about loving jeep parts by accident? What has happened to my life.

Did you fall asleep on your Chryco FSMs again?

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.
Fixed the steering alignment on sandbagger and made a new trans tunnel blockoff plate last night.

Going to try to hit the JY first thing this morning and grab some jeep parts.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.
That source of 8.25 LSDs was pretty great. Another one to put on your list, I suppose.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.
Decent haul at the junkyard yesterday. Kastein is becoming a ZJ whisperer and managed to remove a set of rear disc brakes with little trouble. I also found a husk of a 91 YJ with intact heater actuator cables, newer (and unbroken) style tail/brake lights and a shifter setup for an AX4 (??). We also made a trip to pick up metal to fab a winch bumper.

Per usual, it started raining as soon as we were headed back but we did manage to get the tail lights and shifter installed.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

kastein posted:

VSS conversion circuit

So yeah- Apparently this problem can be mostly-fixed for free next time we see an 88-93 dodge dakota at the junkyard.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

kastein posted:

Once I've gotten one working for sandbagger, I'm building another two for my MJs and probably another for my XJ.

Slow Is Fast is probably going to need one for his CJ project too if he's going to an XJ fuel pump.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

Here's a photo of my Beer Aided Design center console bracket. Not as rigid as you were hoping for but it seems to be doing the job well otherwise.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

Slow is Fast posted:

Please post pictures of the bolt heads so I know what I am looking at and how to read bolts and the corresponding number of "BAPS" they can stand up to from an impact on setting 3 thanks.

Fun fact: I learned to read sae bolt heads from a Haynes manual. Yup- its in there.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

kastein posted:

If you look closely you can see a UFO abducting a yeti just behind my truck.

They're obscured by the low level chem trails.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

Ozmiander posted:

The bang that an unissued romie ask barrel pin makes when you press it out with a 40 ton shop press can be heard across a half acre factory. Ask me how I know.

Oh cheap romie g kits. I remember those days. I didn't have a press and built mine with machine screws. In retrospect, only like 2 out of the 5 we built worked right.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

kastein posted:

I feel like a rust Eskimo, I have 30 different terms for rust.

Such is the rust belt experience.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

Look at that camber yo.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

kastein posted:

Security? What?

[IMG]kasteinWailingOnASubaruBellhousing.gif[/IMG]

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

Slow is Fast posted:

It's worth it to hang out with ken

Experience Empire Buffet.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

kastein posted:

I think you guys don't realize how boring things are around here when there aren't half a dozen goons present to keep things interesting.

I'm sure the random police patrols with blood hounds would disagree.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

kastein posted:

e: I'm getting the itch to weld something.

I'll be back in MA to do my bumper soon enough.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

EightBit posted:

Please write "Playing Junkyard Legos for Dummies"

^^

I would buy this book.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

some texas redneck posted:

I don't know if you know this, but most people drive to work with a cup of coffee. Maybe some fast food death breakfast sandwich too.

:v:

Most people can't randomly pull over and rig up a fix for nearly ANYTHING that goes wrong with their commuter vehicle either, STR.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

Chinesium flavored knockoff go-pro cameras arrived today.

Depending on how this weekend goes, we'll have to test one of them. :getin:

Sandbagger SA fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Jul 25, 2013

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.
Another weekend at Ken's house of Lego Jeeps.

He's still out of power for the time being so I brought him a 3k Powermate generator to use until he gets sweet sweet electricity back. We used it a few times while working on jeeps.

Soldering with a generator.

We started by trying to diagnose some noise issues with my volt meter. It turned into tearing apart and redoing my under dash harness. In the process, we identified a bunch of good 12v power sources for later. We also finally got my dome lights running again and reconnected the factory style heater controls.

Unfortunately, we also discovered that my radio was toasted. :downsgun:

:razz: - maybe someday I'll install that inclinometer.

We also had a moment to install a cold air intake from a TJ to replace the red conical donkey dick filter that was flopping around in the engine bay.

Sandbagger SA fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Jul 29, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

kastein posted:

The computers here at work don't have microSD card readers in them, so I probably won't be able to post a video for a few weeks unfortunately.

Your camera came with a USB cable. It's in the box.:ms: