Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004
If Iowa had inspections, I'd never drive. Between deer, gravel roads, and rust, I'd have to spend all of my spare time and spending money trying to keep my stuff passable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004
Comedy option B : Melt the failures and cast your own replacement.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004
Just park the motor in the bombed out shell of your living room and let it fit in with the decor in the meantime?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

If for some reason you head through Chicago, let us know. I think there's a few of us around here.

Same for Des Moines. Pretty sure there's at least a couple other AIgoons around Central Iowa, and there's a kick-rear end BBQ place right on I-80 that's worth stopping for.

If nothing else I can get you your daily dose of lovely rusting red XJ.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

some texas redneck posted:

I'd never heard of them either until I was in Arkansas several years ago. By far the most prevalent chain along the highways.

A friend of mine is from Colorado, and she informed me a couple of years ago that not only did they have them in Colorado, she also used to work at one.

They're based out of Des Moines, and are everywhere here.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004
Yeah, I swapped those for cheap but workable generic chromes when I put the new wheels on my XJ too, broke one lug nut getting it off. Terrible.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004
That poo poo is terrifying. Glad you're okay, Ken.

I used to have that problem on long road trips, and made it a standard. When I starting getting too sleepy, I have a nervous tic of running a hand down my face. If it happens three times, I pull over and sleep, because the fourth will just be me nodding off.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

ExplodingSims posted:

How about you buy a wrecker on the East Coast and help someone else who needs to move a large truck west :v:

Hey, if you want to make a business out of it, I hear Sims is going to need that service in a few months too.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004
Getting that 5-ton across the entire width of the ConUS sounds like the kind of adventure worth having.

Wish the JT wasn't 4-door only. If they did an extended cab with a long bed, I'd probably get over my dislike of FCA enough to buy one.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004
Yeah, I'm going to go sit in one to see how they feel at least. If they're anything like the modern Wranglers, I may just be too wide and long for them in the first place.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004
Speaking of that, how's the rubber on that 5 Ton?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004
Super glad to see that 5 ton running, and you getting a chance to work on cars again!

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004
That is a drat good looking truck.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004
Because most of the remaining XJ's are too rusty for even your level of stubbornness? :v:

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

kastein posted:

XJs unfortunately don't do anything useful for me at this point that Britt's wagon, the Honcho, and the MJ can't do. I do, however, need a crane to build a house and barn without a construction crew, or at least that's my excuse to spend ten grand on a toy instead of ten grand on hiring a crew to stand up the framing.

Let he who hasn't used a project as an excuse to buy a new tool he's been lusting after throw the first stone.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

sharkytm posted:

Send cut send is amazing.

I think you just answered my question of getting a couple very specific brass shapes cut when I've only got my garage to work with right now and an HOA that will murder me for doing metalwork in it.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004
That is spectacularly lovely wiring. Anything that looks worse than my first attempt to wire up a fuzz pedal in high school deserves a Darwin award and a kick in the rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

IOwnCalculus posted:

I think Chicago's a fantastic place to visit but if I'm driving cross country and not actually stopping there, I'm definitely picking a route that says away from there. Absolutely the scariest driving I've seen in my life.

I94 through Joliet to I80's not too bad, but you could cut further south and take highway 24 if you want to stay out of pretty much every urban area between Ft. Wayne and Peoria. I can do Chicago traffic, I'd rather nail my foot to the floor than ever drive through Dallas during rush hour again.