Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Opensourcepirate
Aug 1, 2004

Except Wednesdays
I've you wander into the VW area, see if there's any Orlando 14" 7 Spoke alloys. I have 3 good(ish) ones and a rather hosed one that I want to replace. They'd be on a 3rd gen (like 94-98) Jetta/Golf/Cabrio.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opensourcepirate
Aug 1, 2004

Except Wednesdays
Hey Kastein,

I've done some looking at Medium Duty Diesel engines because I have a dream of one day building a Skoolie to live in like a hermit up on a mountain somewhere. I'm not sure if it would be big / powerful enough for what you're doing, but people in the school bus land seem to really like the DT 466 for being both extremely reliable and extremely easy to rebuild. The one caveat though is that in 1994 they added a bunch of electronic emission controls that made everything much shittier. They should call those newer ones the DT 466e if you're looking at one, but I would always double check the build date.

You seemed to be talking about higher power applications, but you might be dreaming a little big, and the top end DT 466 (bigger turbo and maybe adding an intercooler) is rated at 270 HP and about 1000 ft-lbs.

Opensourcepirate
Aug 1, 2004

Except Wednesdays
Potentially stupid idea: Is there a mechanical fan on the front you can take off and replace with some kind of gearing, then put an electric fan in front of that?

Opensourcepirate
Aug 1, 2004

Except Wednesdays
I didn't know Ken had a brother, but I worked with his cousin.

Opensourcepirate
Aug 1, 2004

Except Wednesdays
I'm not sure if you're talking about the actual way it's wired together or just how the bulbs were flashing, but I've seen turn signals flash brake lights when the ground to the turn signals goes bad.

Opensourcepirate
Aug 1, 2004

Except Wednesdays
Ken,

If you get truly stranded you can contact me. My Jetta and Porsche are both driveable and I'm not crazy far away.

Opensourcepirate
Aug 1, 2004

Except Wednesdays
Drive something rust free for us on the way over.

Opensourcepirate
Aug 1, 2004

Except Wednesdays
I want to see you attach the 5 ton to a stump and then inch away in Low-Low-1 at idle.

Opensourcepirate
Aug 1, 2004

Except Wednesdays
Kastein,

I have an awesome old textbook somewhere called like "Airframe and Powerplant Mechanics" that I could lend to you if it sounds useful.

Edit: I think it's this thing - The Airframe Handbook http://www.faa.gov/regulations_policies/advisory_circulars/index.cfm/go/document.information/documentID/23018

There's also a powerplant handbook -
http://www.faa.gov/regulations_policies/advisory_circulars/index.cfm/go/document.information/documentID/22913

And a general handbook -
http://www.faa.gov/regulations_policies/advisory_circulars/index.cfm/go/document.information/documentID/74451

Opensourcepirate fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Jul 30, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opensourcepirate
Aug 1, 2004

Except Wednesdays
Ken,

Cool about maybe wanting the book eventually. I don't know if you noticed, but all of the links I posted have PDF versions of the books. Not nearly as nice as a paper copy, but it's cool of the FAA to post them.