Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Cool
Oct 23, 2004

This is a song about messin' with people who've been messin' with you

kastein posted:

If anyone knows the difference between the two tables for each sender linearization I would love to hear it. For each tank there is a "xxx Volume" and a "xxx Volume gauge" table. I'm guessing that the one with the gauge suffix affects the gauge, while the other one affects... who knows what?
What do the values look like on the two tables? Does it look like theoretical + correction or fuel tank part number A vs B? If the values are similar, what do they look like if you plot them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Cool
Oct 23, 2004

This is a song about messin' with people who've been messin' with you

kastein posted:

After looking through what I would describe as a buttfuckton of tunes from the hptuners tune repository, it looks like all 02- operating systems used a single table per tank while all 03+ operating systems use two tables per tank. Can anyone think of anything fuel and emissions related that changed from 02 to 03 that would be affected by this?
This sounds more like a production line issue to me.

"We need to finalize the firmware soon. We're going into production with fuel tank A, but we might switch to fuel tank B in a few months. So put both tables in the firmware and then if we switch we can send a message on the production line telling the firmware to use tank B's table."

And then the issue never came up again and the firmware team started putting the same values in both tables, just in case that message gets sent accidentally. It's easier to change data than code.

The "gauge" label probably came from hptuners' reverse engineering when they noticed one table was a slightly smaller capacity and assumed it was a pessimistic value for the dashboard. But the difference is 0.44 gallons at most which doesn't seem like a reasonable reserve.