Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
How many times would you feel safe reusing a lubelocker gasket?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
The headlight bezels on my tj look like deck screws too, but they have torx heads.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
Do you think there's any way to straighten out an axle tube? My buddys Dana 30 is off by a zillionth of a millimeter, just enough to gently caress with his locker and make it a little hard to get the shaft in.

I figure it's not worth the trouble, and would probably never be strong again if it was bent back, but he's broke as heck.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004

kastein posted:

These are their impact adapters, so I dunno, I guess we'll see. I doubt the 3/4-drive socket on the adapters will ever fail, it's just too goddamn huge, but I wouldn't be surprised if the smaller ends of the adapters break.

Are you sure it's the tube? The upper arm of the inner Cs really likes to bend. You can bend it back with a big hammer with the axle out of the jeep, just plan on welding gussets onto them after because it will happen again.

What's it in? And what gear ratio?

When you say inner C - that's what surrounds the ujoint and has the ball joint at top right? This area?

It's just ten factory shafts, a lock right, and he's had his gears switched to I think 4.88.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
Do you ever buy NEW parts?

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004

Did someone put TJ flares onto an XJ?

what...

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
I use black RTV on my diff cover and it comes right off with a razorblade.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
Jesus loving christ. That truck is going to be so much happier! I wish I could lose 20 lbs. of grease that quickly.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
Did you install the SYE to accommodate a lift? What are the specs on the crapcan?

Also - how do you like the sound from the glasspack? My muffler is banging against the rear upper control arm and it's either bend some hangers or get a slimmer muffler.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004

kastein posted:

offered me an NP231 with an SYE already installed... for $150

God drat - buy it yesterday! That's $500 here in San Diego.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
My sye didn't come with a splined rubber gasket - instructions were to blast the poo poo out of it with rtv.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
I will have 231 linkage available soon if you have any need for that. Everything that the cable shifter replaces anyway, which I think is most everything below the shifter handle.

Astonishing Wang fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Mar 21, 2014

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004

kastein posted:

For an XJ? I thought TJ ones were different... not sure. If they're the same, I'd love to give it a bad home :haw:

They probably are different :( I'll send it to you if you want to be an innovator or get a little 'hammery'. I'm not sure when I'm putting in the cable though, probably not for a week or two.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
2002 TJ, nv3550, np231, 4.0

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
You can buy a Novak cable shifter for $160. Its supposes to be pretty good.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

I started reading into the install manual for Aussie lockers and it was all anal about "side gear thrust washers". I didn't know what those were, and thought about asking in here but I thought "No, I won't hassle Kastein for this - I'll figure it out myself like a big boy!

Several minutes of googling later, and I was reading the only informative link I found - an archived post on NAXJA by user "kastein" :mad:

I'm pretty sure I have a pair of brand new thrust washers for a dana 30 if you need them. Might take me a couple of days to find where I left them though. Let me know if you want me to ship them out.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
Please post a photo of the u-joint if it is particularly small :shobon:

kastein posted:

I can poke my finger through the yoke ear

oh nevermind, it's not that small.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
Jeeps were getting too easy for you - room to work, parts available everywhere, lots of interchange.

You're always volunteering to pull parts for people - if you want to check with yards in my area (92109 check in Chula Vista) I'd be willing to go pull a manifold some time. I know you need it ASAP but if you need anything in the future... I'm poo poo at locating parts myself since I've been to two yards in my life, but if you confirm it I can get it and ship it.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
Don't buy TOO many Justys. They're small, but they add up!

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
That moose Justy is going to be putting rubber to the road as the rear end of a bad-rear end hillbilly tricycle, it's life has just begun!

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
Where do you look next for the death wobble? Ball joints? Do the spring bushings have anything to do with it on the leaf spring Jeeps?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
That truck is perfect in so many ways :shobon: