Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dancing Potato
May 21, 2007

NotWearingPants posted:

The WHM "Taking Care of Business" episode got me thinking... has Jim Belushi ever done a single thing that could be considered good or funny? I scanned his imdb page quickly and didn't see anything, but there's just so much there. How does a person like this continue to get work?

Gang Related, in which he plays a crooked cop partnered with Tupac, is a pretty OK movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

NotWearingPants posted:

I don't know who the new Jim Belushi would be and I think he might be a one-of-a-kind anomaly. The closest I could think of might be Tom Arnold, but Tom Arnold has actually been in a decent movie (True Lies) and he's not exactly "new". It seems pretty difficult to find someone who has never done anything good.

Kevin James.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Drunkboxer posted:

Kevin James.

He doesn't hate women enough. You're forgetting what makes the Belushi so detestable is that on top of being an unfunny fat slob, he has the most undeserved sense of superiority.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

OldTennisCourt posted:

I just re-listened to the We Hate Movies Pippi Longstockings episode and god drat is it great. Their impressions of the horse were loving amazing.

Thanks for this. I went back to it and your opinion is right on the money.

paraphrasing... "It's a burn! She's done it before!" had me rolling

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Dancing Potato posted:

Gang Related, in which he plays a crooked cop partnered with Tupac, is a pretty OK movie.

He's actually really good in that movie, and puts in a good performance in Oliver Stone's Salvidor. The guy is actually a better dramatic actor than he is 'comedy' star and in another life he would've been a solid character actor.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

NotWearingPants posted:

Thanks for this. I went back to it and your opinion is right on the money.

paraphrasing... "It's a burn! She's done it before!" had me rolling

Too bad horses aren't allowed in court!

THAT'LL CHANGE PIPPI AND THEN YOU'RE GET THE CHAIR THE CHAAAAAAAAAAAAAIR

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

DrVenkman posted:

He's actually really good in that movie, and puts in a good performance in Oliver Stone's Salvidor. The guy is actually a better dramatic actor than he is 'comedy' star and in another life he would've been a solid character actor.

I've never seen that movie so I can't speak from any real knowledge, but just the concept of 'Jim Belushi the dramatic actor' kinda makes my head hurt and I smell toast.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I've never seen that movie so I can't speak from any real knowledge, but just the concept of 'Jim Belushi the dramatic actor' kinda makes my head hurt and I smell toast.

I was about to say it must've been early in his career but oddly enough it was after Saturday Night Live and just a year before The Principal so I got no idea what went on there. I take back what I said, he's done a bunch of dramatic stuff that I realised I've actually seen before (Including the erotic? thriller Traces of Red) and they're almost all terrible.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Listening to the Mr. Destiny episode and man them going on about the Fisting Party. It is so great. I love their hatred towards Jim Belushi.

Yancy_Street
Nov 26, 2007

drunk octopus
wants to fight you
Cloudy <3

VVV

The WHM crew NEED to watch "The FP." The slang, setting, and reveal of what made the town fall apart will literally break their minds.

Yancy_Street fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Mar 22, 2013

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Its viewer request month for WHMs. I think they need to watch Foodfight.

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Sorry, I'm quite busy at the moment.

bobkatt013 posted:

Its viewer request month for WHMs. I think they need to watch Foodfight.

I think they need to watch Cruising so we can find out who does the best Pacino.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
I want them to do Pearl Harbor because none of the bad movie podcasts have tackled it, the movie that made America turn on Ben Affleck for a while, and also because I want them to suffer like I did.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

So I guess it's time I post this here, hope that's kosher. I asked you guys for some advice not too long ago on what you're looking for in a bad movie podcast and I hope I didn't let you down too much.

http://netflixmartyrs.blogspot.com/

We only watch films that are easily accessible (90% of the time, movies on Netflix, occasionally something on Youtube or Amazon) and talk about whether you should queue it up or not. When it came to tone we really wanted it to sound like four friends drinking beers and bullshitting after watching a movie. It's a bit rough quality wise in my opinion because we record straight from Skype for now (and forever because we're scattered across the world). I do all the editing and try to balance a pretty intense grad program, which isn't much of an excuse but it's a temporary reason why I'm not having everyone record their own strands. This will happen eventually though. I think over time the podcast will develop more "segments" and find its own identity. Feedback would be appreciated and I'm pretty good at taking criticism. :)

weekly font fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Mar 25, 2013

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

weekly font posted:

So I guess it's time I post this here, hope that's kosher. I asked you guys for some advice not too long ago on what you're looking for in a bad movie podcast and I hope I didn't let you down too much.

http://netflixmartyrs.blogspot.com/

I like the name! Lose the "the" on the graphic though. Just "Netflix Martyrs" is better

Flython
Oct 21, 2010

Really enjoyed your Dracula 3000 episode weekly font. I'm not the best at critiquing things but the audio quality wasn't too bad and it was worth suffering through. You've started strong and I can only see it getting better. The film really is undeserving of that box art.

Flython fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Mar 28, 2013

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

I think Best of the Best 2 was We Hate Movies' first installment of We Love Movies.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

bobservo posted:

I think Best of the Best 2 was We Hate Movies' first installment of We Love Movies.

They loved Hider in the House and Invisible Child

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Flython posted:

Really enjoyed your Dracula 3000 episode weekly font. I'm not the best at critiquing things but the audio quality wasn't too bad and it was worth suffering through. You've started strong and I can only see it getting better. The film really is undeserving of that box art.

Thanks, I just appreciate the listen, critique or no. :) Right now the schedule is every other week is a full release and in between we do a "Halfisode" which has a little tangent based on the previous episode and maybe an interview if I can find someone with strong enough opinions on the topic. This week is our favorite Vampire movies and some Twilight discussion. I'd love to release every week but D and I are in doctorate programs, Rob is married and Pam has a super awesome job so it's tough.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

weekly font, great start with your first episode! I usually hate that kind of Skype-esque conference call, but the rapport makes it worth it. Count me in as a subscriber.

Since my podcast has been mentioned in the thread before, and we're talking goon critiques, I'd love to hear thoughts on our latest episode of Alcohollywood, which I think is one of our stronger entries. (Crossposted from the CD thread:)

quote:

:siren: NEW EPISODE! :siren:

This week, we have one of our best episodes in awhile, as we take a close look at A Fistful of Dollars. Seriously, after the past couple of episodes, where we had to deal with bafflingly bad or opaque films, we are able to dig into quite a bit of content with this one - surprise, surprise, a good movie gives us a lot to talk about! It also helps that we had on one of our better guests, our good friend Todd, who's always good for discussion (and suffering through my obscure quiz questions). Take a listen!

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

bobservo posted:

I really love when they like movies. They're actually really good at explaining the high and low points and if they're worth your time in the end when they aren't just exhausted by Larry the Cable Guy.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Cat People is pretty great. It is hilariou sand they are back to really hating a movie.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

bobkatt013 posted:

Cat People is pretty great. It is hilariou sand they are back to really hating a movie.

I was pumped when I saw that they did this movie. I just watched it last week after seeing it on-demand because I had some vague memory of someone telling me it was great. It was obvious after looking it up that they were talking about the classic one from the 40s.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

bobkatt013 posted:

Yeah, the fact that they actually liked Best of the Best 2 made it a not very interesting listen and it took me several attempts to get through it.

Flython
Oct 21, 2010

Hope the next WHM listener request month is as good as the last. The most recent episode makes me really hope for a movie allowing for non-stop JFK impersonations. Nothing better than impersonation heavy episodes.

Yancy_Street
Nov 26, 2007

drunk octopus
wants to fight you
It's a good week for movie podcasts:

Cat People on WHM, Mindhunters on Yeah, It's That Bad, Anaconda on Film Sack, and I think :clint: Hewlett might :clint: have something, but :clint: I'm a little fuzzy :clint: on what, exactly. They :clint: should really be :clint: clearer about their scheduling.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

OK Octopus posted:

Cat People on WHM, Mindhunters on Yeah, It's That Bad, Anaconda on Film Sack, and I think :clint: Hewlett might :clint: have something, but :clint: I'm a little fuzzy :clint: on what, exactly. They :clint: should really be :clint: clearer about their scheduling.

Yea if you, like you and I obviously do, subscribe to most every good 'guys make fun of bad movies' podcast poo poo's pretty golden this week. Don't forget Spice World on How Did This Get Made!

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

OK Octopus posted:

Haha, sorry bout that - I try to post schedules in the CineD thread whenever possible, we mention what we're doing next week at the end of each episode (and their corresponding post), we post trailers for the upcoming movie on Facebook each week, and we keep COMING SOON thumbnails on the All Episodes page. Is there a better way to keep listeners apprised of our schedule? I'd honestly love to know, if listeners are fuzzy on what episodes we're doing next.

By the way, we're doing Jurassic Park; we've recorded, and we try to get the finished product in every Thursday (in slow weeks, we'll get it out by Friday night at least).

Hewlett fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Apr 3, 2013

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

OK Octopus posted:

We're doing Elizabethtown this week. :3:

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

weekly font posted:

Oh god you poor bastards

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Don't forget Spice World on How Did This Get Made!

I'm pretty excited for this. I know people hate on the show for how hyperbolic they seem when talking about how ridiculous the movies are, but Spice World certainly deserves that treatment.

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

weekly font posted:

I unironically love this movie and it was filmed here so Skype me in brosef

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

On we hate movies this week they talk about the greatest Law and Order moment

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I love Goodbye Horses so I already love this episode of WHM. I feel like Broderick should get Cloudy too.

Oh and we did Elizabethtown this week. gently caress this movie. http://netflixmartyrs.blogspot.com/2013/04/episode-03-elizabethtown.html

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Oh my god what a great episode of We Hate Movies, what a disgusting and creepy movie too. Seriously if you for some reason aren't on the We Hate Movies love train, go check out today's and tell me it's not great.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Oh my god what a great episode of We Hate Movies, what a disgusting and creepy movie too. Seriously if you for some reason aren't on the We Hate Movies love train, go check out today's and tell me it's not great.

They have really made up for the love of Best of the Best 2 with the utter hatred they had for this and Cat People.

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

I love when they do episodes about seemingly innocent and lighthearted comedies that end up turning into repulsive psychodramas. The movie I suggested for listener request month falls right into this category.

Also I loved how they tore into Broderick's character like they did with Schwimmer; all of these quirky leading men from the 90's played amoral psychopathic cowards.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

bobservo posted:

I love when they do episodes about seemingly innocent and lighthearted comedies that end up turning into repulsive psychodramas. The movie I suggested for listener request month falls right into this category.

Also I loved how they tore into Broderick's character like they did with Schwimmer; all of these quirky leading men from the 90's played amoral psychopathic cowards.

I wonder if anyone suggested Caligula.

Yancy_Street
Nov 26, 2007

drunk octopus
wants to fight you
Robot Jox on "Alcohollywood"? Hewlett, you glorious bastard.

Finally had to drop "Yeah, It's That Bad." I just couldn't take the creepy Silent Hill-esque audio editing coupled with the non-humor anymore. When one asked the other for a quoted box office take this week, the other got within about ten-thousand or so dollars, and apparently that was enough to launch a two minute uproarious laughing fit, I knew I was done.

Yancy_Street fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Apr 11, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

OK Octopus posted:

Robot Jox on "Alcohollywood"? Hewlett, you glorious bastard.

:buddy::hf::buddy: I do what I can.

Crossposting for potential feedback:

quote:

:siren: NEW EPISODE! :siren:

As OK Octopus already pointed out in the RGD movie podcast thread, We decided to take on Robot Jox by popular demand. We had a hell of a lot of fun on this one, especially since the movie is just so amazing to talk about. Our guest, Derek, is a huge fan of the film, so he was a wonderful resource, and the quiz is relatively entertaining (though I had to make some last-minute additions since, in our break before the quiz, Jared offhandedly rattled off the answers to the Nightmare Round without knowing I was going to put them on there). All in all, pretty proud of this one.

Next week, we're gonna get back into some noir territory for the first time in awhile with The Third Man!

Hewlett fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Apr 11, 2013