Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

OK Octopus posted:

Robot Jox on "Alcohollywood"? Hewlett, you glorious bastard.

Finally had to drop "Yeah, It's That Bad." I just couldn't take the creepy Silent Hill-esque audio editing coupled with the non-humor anymore. When one asked the other for a quoted box office take this week, the other got within about ten-thousand or so dollars, and apparently that was enough to launch a two minute uproarious laughing fit, I knew I was done.

Yeah, I want to like "Yeah It's That Bad," but the way the yuck it up over stupid stuff is horrible. Though the grand irony of that podcast is that they seem to have really bad taste in movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

weekly font posted:

Yeah, I want to like "Yeah It's That Bad," but the way the yuck it up over stupid stuff is horrible. Though the grand irony of that podcast is that they seem to have really bad taste in movies.

I stopped listening to it a while ago. I wanted them to talk about the movie not just random stuff. When they had the mail bag it was really bad.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
God that WHM on Addicted to Love is great. I remember renting that movie but I can barely remember anything about it. God what a reprehensible movie. One thing I do remember is that Broderick and Ryan were so loving smug and self satisfied. gently caress them. gently caress that film.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Looks like Alfonso the Horse is getting his revenge
http://wtvr.com/2013/04/14/pippi-longstocking-arrest/

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"

The Duke posted:

I've been getting into Yeah, It's That Bad recently and I have to say this might be my favorite bad movie podcast by far. The editing is kind of weird at times but not too obtrusive.

I've been trying to listen to "Yeah, It's That Bad" recently and the editing is just incredibly off-putting to me. It sounds like they edit out all of the gaps and pauses between their sentences in post, which makes each of them sound like they're talking super fast like Ray William Johnson or other "jump cut" YouTube people. It doesn't feel like natural conversation.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

bbf2 posted:

It sounds like they edit out all of the gaps and pauses between their sentences in post,

It sounds like that because that is what they do.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Gotta keep those podcasts below 50 minutes or the unwashed masses start to tune out. :rolleyes:

For the first week in a while I like How Did This Get Made more than We Hate Movies even though the latter is really good. Jason's laughing fit at June's inability to get video games killed me.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

I recently gave up on How Did This Get Made because the fake laughing and over reactions to every small thing were getting on my nerve. The "director's cut" episodes were always fantastic, and I might continue to check those out. I've been trying to get into We Hate Movies and The Flophouse, although I'm a little put off by how much they seem to dislike everything they've watched so far - except for We Hate Movies' love of I Come In Peace which is impossible to hate. I was going to check out Yeah, It's That Bad but I'm hearing so many negative things about it, and looking over the movie list it seems like they don't understand what a bad movie is. Oldboy, seriously?

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

weekly font posted:

Gotta keep those podcasts below 50 minutes or the unwashed masses start to tune out. :rolleyes:

For the first week in a while I like How Did This Get Made more than We Hate Movies even though the latter is really good. Jason's laughing fit at June's inability to get video games killed me.

He's wearing boxing gloves and that's something you do indoors, not on the street.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

TTBF posted:

I recently gave up on How Did This Get Made because the fake laughing and over reactions to every small thing were getting on my nerve. The "director's cut" episodes were always fantastic, and I might continue to check those out. I've been trying to get into We Hate Movies and The Flophouse, although I'm a little put off by how much they seem to dislike everything they've watched so far - except for We Hate Movies' love of I Come In Peace which is impossible to hate. I was going to check out Yeah, It's That Bad but I'm hearing so many negative things about it, and looking over the movie list it seems like they don't understand what a bad movie is. Oldboy, seriously?

They really liked hider in the house and invisible child. Also the glorious On Deadly Ground

bobkatt013 fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Apr 17, 2013

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

oatgan posted:

He's wearing boxing gloves and that's something you do indoors, not on the street.

This may sound ignorant but...what is a street fighter?

Mogambo
Jan 6, 2011

:hurr:
This has been a public service announcement to put me on ignore.

TTBF posted:

Maybe you should actually listen to the Oldboy episode before you pass judgement. (The YITB boys tend to like a lot of the movies they watch.)

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

bobkatt013 posted:

They really liked hider in the house and invisible child. Also the glorious On Deadly Ground

Which 'they' are you referring to?

Mogambo posted:

Maybe you should actually listen to the Oldboy episode before you pass judgement. (The YITB boys tend to like a lot of the movies they watch.)

Alright, I'll give them a chance.

Edit: Yeah, I kind of feel bad judging them based just on other people's reviews and a list of movies they watched.

TTBF fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Apr 17, 2013

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"

Vakal posted:

It sounds like that because that is what they do.

Right, that's what I figured. It's incredibly offputting to me and doesn't feel natural, I prefer stuff where it seems like a natural funny conversation. They sound like the YouTube constant jump-cut people and it's incredibly bizarre. Which is too bad, because looking at their library they by far have the highest number of films that I've actually seen so I was really hoping to like them.

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

TTBF posted:

Which 'they' are you referring to?
That would be We Hate Movies. The Flop House likes a few of their selections too, although the only one that comes to mind at the moment is Journey 2: The Mysterious Island.

It seems like a lot of the "bad movie" podcasts are unfairly constrained by their names. HDTGM especially seems to enjoy a lot of the stuff they watch.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator

Maduo posted:

HDTGM especially seems to enjoy a lot of the stuff they watch.

Their episode on 'The Odd Life of Timothy Green' might be the most positive review I've ever heard of that movie.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Maduo posted:

That would be We Hate Movies. The Flop House likes a few of their selections too, although the only one that comes to mind at the moment is Journey 2: The Mysterious Island.

It seems like a lot of the "bad movie" podcasts are unfairly constrained by their names. HDTGM especially seems to enjoy a lot of the stuff they watch.

I think it's fine for a bad movie podcast to like their movies, because I've always had the view that bad movies are movies that are bad on a technical level. That doesn't prevent them from being entertaining, so it's always possible to find good bad movies. I definitely did love HDTGM's enthusiasm when it came to movies they legitimately enjoyed. I'm 13 episodes into We Hate Movies, and the guys enjoyed Dead Heat and I Come In Peace. I've gotten the feeling they'll like more as they go on, because it looks like they tried to shovel some of the worst poo poo they knew about into their first few episodes. I haven't really listened to enough of the Flop House to accurately judge them. The Bad Movie Fiends seem to live for the enjoyable bad movies, which makes their audible despair when they come across truly bad ones pretty amusing. I've definitely gotten a lot of fun movies because of their recommendations. Alcohollywood covers bad movies, but I can't really think of them as a bad movie podcast since the bad movies are outnumbered by the good.

I've listened to basically the first five episodes of Yeah, It's That Bad, and also their Oldboy episode. I don't think they're for me. The editing thing doesn't bug me, but it's a lot of little things that really just turn me off. One problem was picking movies (Oldboy and Vanilla Sky) that they said they had seen multiple times prior to the viewing for the podcast, and which they had legitimately enjoyed as a good movie. I mean if they pick a good one by accident that's one thing, but to bill yourself as a bad movie podcast and go with movies you know are good - well that runs into the constraint that Maduo mentioned.

Another problem was they would spend creepily long amounts of time discussing how attracted they were to the various actresses in the film. The Uninvited was really bad about that because they spent over five minutes doing that before they even began talking about the movie.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
We Hate Movies are supposed to hate the movies they cover, it's right there in the name.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

bobkatt013 posted:

They also clearly liked Tuff Turf.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Drunkboxer posted:

They also clearly liked Tuff Turf.

JACK MACK IS HERE TO PARTY

WHERE CAN JACK MACK GET SOME ROTISSERIE CHICKEN?

JACK MACK NEEDS SOME COCAINE.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

I still want to see James Spader's Back to the Future screentest

Dancing Potato
May 21, 2007
I hate to toot my own horn in here but this seems like a good opportunity to say that I have a 'bad movie podcast' that I started partially in response to some of the criticisms in this thread (ones that I shared as a podcast listener).

I got sick of hearing about the same bad movies over and over again with the same exaggerated responses to everything, so I made a rule: the movies have to be obscure enough to never have been covered by another podcast OR any of the AV Club's similar columns. Often they have less than ten external reviews on IMDB, although both of these rules have been broken in the past.

It's over here:

Why Does It Exist?

I had a regular cohost for the first 40 episodes or so; now I have a rotating guest.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

TTBF posted:

Alcohollywood covers bad movies, but I can't really think of them as a bad movie podcast since the bad movies are outnumbered by the good.

I will admit, I feel a bit bad posting about Alcohollywood at times in here, since we legitimately don't want to bill ourselves as a "bad movie podcast," just as a "movie podcast" with a particular gimmick. We love to tackle movies both good and bad, and we have placed moratoriums on the Big Bad movies (Troll 2, The Room, Birdemic, etc.) that have been talked about to death. At the same time, those kinds of flicks are the most conducive to drinking games/cocktails, so that's question we have at times. We also work hard to try to toe the line between obnoxious yukking it up to keep things entertaining - since I agree that that overt wackiness can get obnoxious at times - while trying to make sure we're not too dry and academic.

Hewlett fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Apr 17, 2013

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.

Dancing Potato posted:

It's over here:

Why Does It Exist?

I had a regular cohost for the first 40 episodes or so; now I have a rotating guest.
it sounds interesting but is there a reason the first three episodes aren't on iTunes?

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

FYI, Yeah It's That Bad had been doing viewer requests (which they sold off for $50 a pop) for the past few months, and they'll continue doing them until they run out. Weirdly enough, most of the fans have been requesting movies that they actually like, which seems completely contradictory to the point of a bad movie podcast.

bobservo fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Apr 17, 2013

Dancing Potato
May 21, 2007

Fezz posted:

it sounds interesting but is there a reason the first three episodes aren't on iTunes?

Good question. I wasn't aware of that, I'll check it out.

PS: the first three episodes don't sound very good in terms of quality, so you're not missing much. I'll still see what's up though.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
I really think it's a shame that The Flophouse and HDTGM both get regular reviews in the AV Club on a weekly basis while WHM and others are ignored, particularly since it's not like either of those need the help. A few of the commentators mention it each week but it never gets any traction. It's worse when one (or both) of those have a lovely week and they still do a write-up.

Having said that, I wasn't so keen on the Virtuosity episode, particularly because they just seemed oddly bored by the film and just rush through it. Which is a similar experience to actually watching Virtuosity. I'm looking forward to seeing what they dig out for listener request month, and I'm pretty glad they've put a ban on what's going to be the more obvious choices.

Dr. Lariat
Jul 1, 2004

by Lowtax

DrVenkman posted:

I really think it's a shame that The Flophouse and HDTGM both get regular reviews in the AV Club on a weekly basis while WHM and others are ignored, particularly since it's not like either of those need the help. A few of the commentators mention it each week but it never gets any traction. It's worse when one (or both) of those have a lovely week and they still do a write-up.
This has been one of my biggest gripes with podcasting in general, though it may just be a bit of saltiness on my part. It's a medium that anyone with a mic and a computer can get into, yet unless you are already an established name from the entertainment world good luck getting anyone to talk about your work ever.

Here is my two step guide to a successful podcast.

1. Get a computer and mic and twitter account.

2. Have a built in following from a prior entertainment gig.

What you weren't in the groundlings or on SNL? Too bad, better luck next time.

Edit: Is "people aren't enjoying these terrible movies on a show made to make fun of terrible movies" seriously a complaint I just read?

Dr. Lariat fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Apr 18, 2013

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

These kinds of podcasts are more enjoyable when they are at least having fun dissecting a bad movie and not just mad about the whole experience. They don't have to actually like the movie, but if you aren't having fun discussing it then why bother with a podcast?

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Speaking of getting your podcast out there, NotWearingPants, what are the chances you could update the OP with the goon podcasts? :shobon:

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

weekly font posted:

Speaking of getting your podcast out there, NotWearingPants, what are the chances you could update the OP with the goon podcasts? :shobon:

Sure! Did I miss any of them?

DrVenkman posted:

I don't follow the A/V club. I follow this thread. So I kind of feel the opposite way since WHM seems so loved here and The Flophouse doesn't seem to get mentioned very often.

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

Dr. Lariat posted:

This has been one of my biggest gripes with podcasting in general, though it may just be a bit of saltiness on my part. It's a medium that anyone with a mic and a computer can get into, yet unless you are already an established name from the entertainment world good luck getting anyone to talk about your work ever.

Edit: Is "people aren't enjoying these terrible movies on a show made to make fun of terrible movies" seriously a complaint I just read?

Or maybe those podcasts are successful because they actually have funny, talented people on them.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Dr. Lariat posted:

Yeah, maybe, or maybe We Hate Movies isn't especially good.

Dr. Lariat
Jul 1, 2004

by Lowtax
Well I think those lads are funny. :colbert:

And when the podmass stuff kicked off I expected different shows to be covered every week considering how much is out there, when I noticed it was just a write up of pretty much the same shows every week I thought it was a bit of a lost opportunity to help shows grow their audience.

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

scary ghost dog posted:

Yeah, maybe, or maybe We Hate Movies isn't especially good.

Except We Hate Movies owns, so

Dancing Potato
May 21, 2007
When they first started doing Podmass, the We Hate Movies guys (or maybe their 'street team' or whatever) would go in the comments section and plug themselves shamelessly.

They eventually did get a mention in the New (To Us) section, but it's possible that their aggressive self-promotion hurt them in the long run.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

NotWearingPants posted:

Sure! Did I miss any of them?

Got em, thanks!

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Dr. Lariat posted:

People follow the New Sincerity around here. Nothing is bad, you just aren't being ironically unironic about it enough.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

bango skank posted:

Except We Hate Movies owns, so

Then.... Then... People have different opinions?? About what's funny????

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mogambo
Jan 6, 2011

:hurr:
This has been a public service announcement to put me on ignore.
What's wrong with We Hate Movies, pray tell, aside from "Rar how DARE these people do goofy impressions of Wilford Brimley; I much prefer podcasts where they read letters for over half the episode and then make cat noises"?