Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Mogambo posted:

What's wrong with We Hate Movies, pray tell, aside from "Rar how DARE these people do goofy impressions of Wilford Brimley; I much prefer podcasts where they read letters for over half the episode and then make cat noises"?

Nothing. I've never listened to it. I just think that dude complaining that you have to be famous or have famous friends to be successful at podcasting is an idiot.

Hey guy: Podcasting is not a career for anyone. NOBODY podcasts for a living.

scary ghost dog fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Apr 19, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Lariat
Jul 1, 2004

by Lowtax

scary ghost dog posted:

Nothing. I've never listened to it. I just think that dude complaining that you have to be famous or have famous friends to be successful at podcasting is an idiot.

Hey guy: Podcasting is not a career for anyone. NOBODY podcasts for a living.

Adam Carolla. 5 shows a week, income from live shows and running a podcast network with sponsors.

And I agree, it certainly isn't impossible to break in without prior notoriety. But instead of calling me an idiot because you disagree with me, is there any decent coverage of podcasts similar to podmass that covers beyond the same 10-15 on a consistent basis? I am not making some argument, I'm genuinely curious because I haven't seen it.

Dr. Lariat fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Apr 20, 2013

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
I think that Podmass might be great if it covered new things more often. Right now it's the same X amount of podcasts which really, if you're a subscriber, then chances are you've heard it before they've covered it. I've found a lot of great new things thanks to their article but it seems odd they remain insistent on covering the same stuff (Particularly when they have a section that covers 'bad' episodes that week - just don't cover them then).

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

Mogambo posted:

What's wrong with We Hate Movies, pray tell, aside from "Rar how DARE these people do goofy impressions of Wilford Brimley; I much prefer podcasts where they read letters for over half the episode and then make cat noises"?

The Flophouse guys have a natural chemistry and seem like they use their real personalities. The We Hate Movies guys are always "on" and seem like they're trying to out-wacky each other every step of the way. It's very tiresome. They remind me of the dorks who sat in the back of my CS classes and would never shut up.

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

DrVenkman posted:

I think that Podmass might be great if it covered new things more often. Right now it's the same X amount of podcasts which really, if you're a subscriber, then chances are you've heard it before they've covered it. I've found a lot of great new things thanks to their article but it seems odd they remain insistent on covering the same stuff (Particularly when they have a section that covers 'bad' episodes that week - just don't cover them then).

It really feels to me like Podmass is less of a best-of column and more of a "Here's what happened on Earwolf and Maximum Fun this week, and maybe a few other things we we have time."

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

bbf2 posted:

I've been trying to listen to "Yeah, It's That Bad" recently and the editing is just incredibly off-putting to me. It sounds like they edit out all of the gaps and pauses between their sentences in post, which makes each of them sound like they're talking super fast like Ray William Johnson or other "jump cut" YouTube people. It doesn't feel like natural conversation.

I actually started getting tired of YITB pretty quickly so I started listening to WHM, I think this is where I've always belonged. I actually find these dudes so much funnier and insightful than all the others, and I was a huge defender of HDTGM for awhile (can't really stand their live episodes anymore). Also they don't explode with forced laughter every 30 seconds so that's nice.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Wow it's almost like people have different tastes in comedy.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Mogambo posted:

Only problem I have with them is when they get lazy with a slower paced movie.

Instead of doing any prep, they just repeat "OH GOD WHY ISN'T THIS MOVIE WHAT I THOUGHT IT WOULD BE I'M SO BORED PLOT IT DOESN'T MATTER WHATEVER" for the entire show. The Deep Impact episode was really terrible because they kept expecting Armageddon and it clouded everything. The Cat People episode was also kind of bad because they focused on the remake aspect instead touching on the way more interesting fact that it was Paul Schrader's drug-fueled nightmare and his final studio movie until 1998.

imdb posted:

By his own admission, director Paul Schrader says that one day he got so stoned on set that he refused to come out of his trailer. A whole day's filming was lost.

How do you not touch on that?

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

Maremidon posted:

Wow it's almost like people have different tastes in comedy.

Wow, it's almost like this is a place to discuss bad movie podcasts.

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

Just wanted to say that the WHM on "Addicted to Love" is one of the funniest podcasts I've ever listened to. Never seen the movie but I think I'm going to have to after hearing this. It will be hard not to do Buffalo Bill impressions the entire time though :lol: The Broderick impressions were gold, as well.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Call Me Charlie posted:

Only problem I have with them is when they get lazy with a slower paced movie.

Instead of doing any prep, they just repeat "OH GOD WHY ISN'T THIS MOVIE WHAT I THOUGHT IT WOULD BE I'M SO BORED PLOT IT DOESN'T MATTER WHATEVER" for the entire show. The Deep Impact episode was really terrible because they kept expecting Armageddon and it clouded everything. The Cat People episode was also kind of bad because they focused on the remake aspect instead touching on the way more interesting fact that it was Paul Schrader's drug-fueled nightmare and his final studio movie until 1998.

How do you not touch on that?

Deep Impact made sense though. Those 2 films are going to always be constantly compared, and I think it makes sense to compare a flm that was all action, but was at least fun, to a movie that tries to be serious but just comes off as silly and boring.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Yeah the Deep Impact episode makes sense. It's also an incredibly boring movie and as much as I love WHM there are still episodes I would say aren't very good. But when they're 'on' then it can make great listening. That Best of the Best 2 episode was really good, as Gymkata was one of their best. The recent Virtuosity episode though wasn't too good, as I mentioned before because they just seemed to want to skip over it.

On the other hand I've given HDTGM and The Flophouse another try and I'm still not that into them. It's the last chance I give HDTGM because it's just...not very funny. The Flophouse is a close second though but really wish they'd actually talk about the movie a little more instead of twenty minutes and then "Mailbag!"

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
Well, we've kind of talked out the WHM vs. Flophouse vs. HDTGM thing and found that we don't all have the same taste.

Not that I want to stifle discussion or anything, but maybe we should have a "best of the rest" conversation. Are you guys listening to any of these other ones on a regular basis? Which do you recommend and why? How about the goon podcasts? Anyone checking those out?

I tried to give "Bad Movie Friends" another try the other day and turned it off after around 10-15 minutes. It was kind of like a much less funny WHM.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I honestly don't mind bad movie podcasts that aren't trying to be funny. If they have a laugh, hey cool, but I don't NEED jokes in a show about jokes. Of course the show still has to be entertaining so Y,ITB is right out.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Yeah on that note, are there any podcasts which just talk about bad movies without trying to be 'funny' about it. Or would that simply not work for most people.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

DrVenkman posted:

Yeah on that note, are there any podcasts which just talk about bad movies without trying to be 'funny' about it. Or would that simply not work for most people.

Like an honest analysis of how the movie doesn't work without making jokes about it? That might be interesting and a change of pace, so now you've made me curious.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

DrVenkman posted:

On the other hand I've given HDTGM and The Flophouse another try and I'm still not that into them. It's the last chance I give HDTGM because it's just...not very funny. The Flophouse is a close second though but really wish they'd actually talk about the movie a little more instead of twenty minutes and then "Mailbag!"

I enjoy The Flophouse but I think their movie selection hurts them. They focus almost exclusively on modern studio movies, which are usually just dully-mediocre, instead of the craziness of the older bad movies.

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
They should probably have just ended The Flophouse after the line "Nic Cage - The Original Castle Freak" in the most recent episode, because none of them will ever say anything that perfect again.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
I'm sort of contemplating making a new thread for them but eh, they'll fit here, Night of the Living Podcast http://www.notlp.com/. They review mainly horror films.

They have a pretty good structure of 1 Banter 2. Review a straight to DVD horror film (generally the film is garbage) 3. Main Discussion of film, usually based off a monthly theme IE: Bugs, Documentaries etc.

They have probably the absolute best banter and flow as a group of any podcast I've ever listened to. It's amazing how much fun they're clearly having and how close they are, it's super clear they're all best friends and it just makes so show a million times more fun.

I'd recommend ordering their early episodes from them, you can get them by donating, but I think you can get episodes like 100 to 303 or wherever they are now absolutely for free on Itunes, it's just ep 1-75 or so.

Though I may skip some early stuff, as their early co-hosts of Matt and Ryan can be really loving annoying. It felt like they really did not want to be on the show.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

OldTennisCourt posted:

Deep Impact made sense though. Those 2 films are going to always be constantly compared, and I think it makes sense to compare a flm that was all action, but was at least fun, to a movie that tries to be serious but just comes off as silly and boring.

Judging a movie on its own merits should be Film Criticism 101.

Spending a hour going "Armageddon did _____! Why didn't this do _______? It's so dumb at least Armageddon did _______" is just plain lazy.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Call Me Charlie posted:

Spending a hour going "Armageddon did _____! Why didn't this do _______? It's so dumb at least Armageddon did _______" is just plain lazy.

They did though. Deep Impact sucked hardcore and they did elaborate on it beyond the comparisons to Armageddon. They discussed how loving boring it was, how it had the pathos of a Hallmark movie as well as the terrible acting.

Dr. Lariat
Jul 1, 2004

by Lowtax

Call Me Charlie posted:

I think you misunderstood the complaint. They were not complaining that the film was not what they expected. The complaint was the film was not what was advertised to them. Here is the theatrical trailer. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTkfk4dCnu8
Pay close attention to the last minute of the trailer which is non-stop cuts of action and SFX shots. The film was advertised as another big summer blockbuster disaster movie extravaganza, not the 2 hour family drama set among the backdrop of disaster that the film actually was.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Is there ever a time when making fun of Joe Don Baker isn't hilarious?

Yancy_Street
Nov 26, 2007

drunk octopus
wants to fight you

weekly font posted:

Is there ever a time when making fun of Joe Don Baker isn't hilarious?

WHM is unquestionably my favorite podcast, but I love Stephen Sajdak in particular. Always makes me sad to see an episode where he's not there.

OldTennisCourt posted:

I'm sort of contemplating making a new thread for them but eh, they'll fit here, Night of the Living Podcast http://www.notlp.com/. They review mainly horror films.

Thank you for the recommendation. I'm going to check these guys out this evening. Gotta love those hour-long DC metro rides.

Edit: Wow, those guys talk about movies less than the Bombcast talks about video games - and that's saying something. Definitely a personality driven podcast.

Yancy_Street fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Apr 26, 2013

The 47 Reagans
Mar 14, 2010

DrVenkman posted:

The Greatest Movie EVER! Podcast gets pretty close to this, I think. It's not exclusively about bad movies, but it is pretty even-handed and can be interesting without trying to be funny all the time.

GraPar posted:

They should probably have just ended The Flophouse after the line "Nic Cage - The Original Castle Freak" in the most recent episode, because none of them will ever say anything that perfect again.

Detective B. Galactica: Hunchback (ca-aase clo-oosed) is pretty close, though.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

OK Octopus posted:

WHM is unquestionably my favorite podcast, but I love Stephen Sajdak in particular. Always makes me sad to see an episode where he's not there.

Thank you for the recommendation. I'm going to check these guys out this evening. Gotta love those hour-long DC metro rides.

Edit: Wow, those guys talk about movies less than the Bombcast talks about video games - and that's saying something. Definitely a personality driven podcast.

Yeah it's very much personality driven. I think it helps when you realize that they're all literally best friends and almost family so the fact that they talk so much makes sense.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
I've been listening to Film Sack for several months now. I don't watch a lot of movies, but I make it a point to watch anything they cover before listening to the podcast. I've watched some total poo poo: Anaconda, Bloodrayne, Dead Heat. And it's fine. I can appreciate bad cinema, especially when it's being made fun of.

But nothing -- NOTHING -- prepared me for this week's movie: The Adventures of Ford Fairlane.

Holy gently caress. It's like they made a list of all of the most unlikeable people in show business during the late 80's and cast them in a movie. Every goddamned line out of Andrew Dice Clay's mouth is a poorly-delivered one-liner. There's no real plot to speak of, let alone humor. My god, this may be the worst thing I've ever watched. It just has no redeeming qualities at all.

Did anyone else watch this for the first time because of Film Sack? We should form a support group.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

WhiteHowler posted:

I've been listening to Film Sack for several months now. I don't watch a lot of movies, but I make it a point to watch anything they cover before listening to the podcast. I've watched some total poo poo: Anaconda, Bloodrayne, Dead Heat. And it's fine. I can appreciate bad cinema, especially when it's being made fun of.

But nothing -- NOTHING -- prepared me for this week's movie: The Adventures of Ford Fairlane.

Holy gently caress. It's like they made a list of all of the most unlikeable people in show business during the late 80's and cast them in a movie. Every goddamned line out of Andrew Dice Clay's mouth is a poorly-delivered one-liner. There's no real plot to speak of, let alone humor. My god, this may be the worst thing I've ever watched. It just has no redeeming qualities at all.

Did anyone else watch this for the first time because of Film Sack? We should form a support group.

WHM did it too and they liked it since there was the koala.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

bobkatt013 posted:

WHM did it too and they liked it since there was the koala.
For the first 20 minutes of the movie I thought it was a self-parody, but I'm still not entirely sure whether that's what it was intended to be.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

WHM Boondock Saints 2 review is incredible. Then the film Overnight is even more incredible. You need to see it that they are not whitewashing Duffy's character.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvP7TLnkiB4

Also WHM is suffering through Foodfight. A real rear end in a top hat suggested it.

bobkatt013 fucked around with this message at 06:23 on May 14, 2013

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.

bobkatt013 posted:

Also WHM is suffering through Foodfight. A real rear end in a top hat suggested it.
Apparently 9 real assholes. Hilarious episode, though.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Fezz posted:

Apparently 9 real assholes. Hilarious episode, though.

Yep but I am pretty sure Bob from Boston is the worst.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Foodfight was the movie these podcasts were made for.

"So anyway Dex Dogtective...this is my life, what am I doing?!"

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
It's not the semen joke I wanted...its the one I deserve

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
Just watch the trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uROQ9nplxIY

Jesus loving Christ.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Al! posted:

Just watch the trailer

Jesus loving Christ.

Funny thing is, the animation in that trailer is better than in the actual movie (because their data got stolen at some point and they had to start from scratch).

I've been trying to bug Jared to let us do it for Alcohollywood, but suffice to say it's a tough sell.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

It has so many great moments

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

bobkatt013 posted:

It has so many great moments

An innocent bag of chips...:qq:

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Al! posted:

Just watch the trailer

Jesus loving Christ.

What? I- what? I can't. This came out 2012? 2012?! I know it's Pixar but Toy Story came out almost 20 years ago and it still looks loving lightyears ahead of this.

Who payed for this?! Who made this? Who was it made for?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

bango skank posted:

What? I- what? I can't. This came out 2012? 2012?! I know it's Pixar but Toy Story came out almost 20 years ago and it still looks loving lightyears ahead of this.

Who payed for this?! Who made this? Who was it made for?!

To be fair, the film was meant to be released in 2003.