Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

I'm a big fan of We Hate Movies, and wanted to mention that Judge Dredd is another of their best episodes. Overall I think "Battle for Endor" was their absolute best, especially when they describe the final battle as "the orc's Vietnam."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Yeah I'm a huge WHM fan but this live episode was unlistenable. Couldn't hear Eric at all, and an audience member kept laughing into the mike at full volume. I gave up after eight minutes which was a bummer as the few jokes I could understand were good.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

The WHM Mrs. Doubtfire was a good close to listener request month. My favorite parts were pointing out there was nothing wrong with Pierce Brosnan, and that Robin Williams went on the anti-smoking tirade but had a serious drinking problem that was never addressed.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

The WHM episode "Every Which Way But Loose" was excellent, I think one of their all time best. My favorite part was the tangent about the ape possibly being forgotten in the truck and dying while the theme plays. That, and the "blood boiling" and "used to be!" callbacks.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

I listened to WHM's Trekumentary commentary for Star Trek: Nemesis and it was a lot of fun. I especially liked how they noted that Worf was being pushed to the background, and that Patrick Stewart was in better shape than the ageless android Data.
I think WHM's commentary for Chudumentary was a little better as that was just a cheap, goofy horror film that everyone could enjoy, while appreciating the ridiculousness of Nemesis requires knowing a lot about Star Trek. There were also fewer slow parts in C.H.U.D. so the WHM jokes were more rapid fire, and while they do their best with the slow parts in Nemesis it is hard to riff when nothing is happening on screen.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Evil Mastermind posted:

How do these work, by the way? Are they just making jokes like Rifftrax, or are they actually discussing the movie?

They make plenty of jokes but also discuss the movie more than Rifftrax would. I think Rifftrax works off a script of prewritten jokes so they can do more elaborate riffs and callbacks, but WHM just makes comments as they watch. It works pretty well, especially for long time WHM fans (they include a reference to their favorite lazy plot device, the "Vague Drug Trade") but it does lead to small bits of downtime when nothing is happening on screen where if it were prescripted they would be more ready.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Hamburger the Movie episode of WHM was pretty great. I like how the crew has iffy impersonations of Ventura and Patrick Stewart, but spot on Ronald Reagan and encyclopedic knowledge about the Jonestown Massacre. The bits about the fat student electrocuting himself to avoid eating were amazing, along with the wrongly shackled student.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

The best part of WHM's Mystery Men podcast was immediately establishing the running joke of Tim Burton being the director and sticking to it.

Overall I like Mystery Men and while I agree that Harry Shearer and Paul Reubens were painful, I loved Greg Kinnear and William H. Macy for their deadpan attitudes. Especially when Kinnear made no attempt to find out what happened to his super-enemies, and Macy being the only team member with his personal life close to being in order.

Also did anyone else think it was odd that WHM gave Janeane Garofalo a total pass? Ben Stiller seemed to care more about his role than she did, and she had no decent jokes. Stiller at least was funny when he was futilely trying to convince the team about Captain Amazing's secret identity.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

OldTennisCourt posted:

The Final Fantasy movie is just deadly boring. There's almost nothing to talk about.

I really enjoyed the Retronauts episode about the Spirits Within. I had never seen the movie but they did a great job of explaining the production background, the story, and the reception it had. Definitely an episode worth checking out, it was Retronauts Live Episode 51.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

What are some all time favorite WHM episodes? I gotta go with:

1. Battle for Endor: Gave us first taste of Wilford Brimley, and Eric's classic joke when the Ewoks start massacring the villains: "This was the orcs' Vietnam"

2. Tuff Turf: For Jack Mack alone, plus the sheer oddness of James Spader as an action hero

3. K-911: If only for the frequent observations of why Jim Belushi would get the chair, and the crime spree he embarked on

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Evil Mastermind posted:

Their reaction when they realized that Pray For Death was a secret Batman movie was great.

Hahaha yeah, my favorite episodes are when they review an 80's revenge movie and all end up loving it. See also: Walking Tall.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

New WHM is up, the Substitute. So far it's a winner with the quick arrival of The Vague Drug trade and winning impressions.

They also announced the new Listener Request Month for November, so start getting those picks ready. It was kinda odd, when describing the requirements for the Listener Request movies they went on way too long about what listeners shouldn't do. Like they said not to request something they'd already done, and then continued to say that people should go to their homepage and CTRL-F to find old movies. Which would work, but seemed unnecessarily detailed. Maybe they've gotten a ridiculous amount of repeat requests and felt the need to be specific.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

DoombatINC posted:

Already got my call in for WHM listener request month:

Look at that poster. Look at that cast. Know that the movie centers around house hiding. Become self-conscious of your less-awesome requests :smug:

Also from the sound of the hint for next week's episode, it's Timecop. I mean, it could be something else, but it's Timecop.

Oh nice! That looks great, I'm not sure what to request this year. Last time I tried for Hook, but no way that's getting done anytime soon. Maybe the new Red Dawn?

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

The new WHM on Three Men and a Baby is a great episode. I had been thinking that the show is strongest when they embrace a character right from the start and have a running gag, like Cobra Commander in China O'Brian or Cloudy in The Pallbearer, and here we get a put upon doorman that is fantastic. Having a ridiculous character chiming in and commenting on the events really helps the humor, I loved the doorman putting up with the three men's sexual escapades and trying to justify why they would need a baby, a horse, and a policeman.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

The biggest thing holding back We Hate Movies from getting to Flophouse success that they don't have enough sense to stop using Cabin. Like others have said, he's not the weakest of four comedians, he simply isn't a comedian at all.

It made sense early in the show's run when it was four guys riffing in a NYC apartment and they had to work with what they had, but with 183 episodes they should listen to feedback and figure out that Cabin doesn't fit and that their strongest episodes are when he isn't there.

I'm a WHM mega-fan and I've listened to many episodes more than once, but if I pull an old episode from the archive and hear the intro "Andrew Jupin, Steve Sadjack, Chris Cabin" my expectations plummet, and I usually move on after giving it ten minutes or so. To be fair he was good on the Halloween III episode, but for the most part he kills momentum and his Angry Video Game Nerd fake rage doesn't work.

Unfortunately another weakness of the show is they aren't comfortable receiving listener feedback and have thin skins. I don't mean the show should be All Listener Request or have a fan mail section, but when they posted a live show (I think it was He-Man) the audio was so bad I thought there was something wrong with the upload. When people were politely asking about it on Twitter the hosts got mad and snippy like it was a personal attack.

I don't know if Cabin is the tech guy behind the scenes or if it would be awkward to ask him to go, but hopefully it happens in the near future. It's like Star Trek refusing to replace Tasha Yar with Worf, or Parks and Rec keeping Mark instead of bringing in Adam Scott and Rob Lowe.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

After relistening to WHM's Under Siege 2, I'll take back most of my criticism of Cabin. He is great in that episode, and I think he has been improving as the show goes along. The best combo is still Andrew, Steve, and Eric, but Cabin can be good too. Halloween III remains his best contribution.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

I don't think this has been posted before, but one of the WHM guys on Twitter mentioned they have a Bandcamp page with a lot of extra content: http://whmpodcast.bandcamp.com/feed. You don't have to download the Bandcamp app.

You have to pay to download and keep the tracks, but streaming is free and works fine. I'd recommend Animation Damnation: Leatherhead Terror of the Swamp, SW Holiday Special, and The Simpsons Guy, but they're all pretty good.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

bbf2 posted:

In some sort of bizarre coincidence I listened to the WHM bandcamp episode about the Star Wars Holiday special from a couple years ago this morning and then listened to their latest episode about MoonTrap, so I heard Andrew's story about the old man on the subway who thought he was dissing the Golden Girls twice in a row.

Oh that was the episode he was referring to! I knew that story seemed familiar but I couldn't place it.

A while ago I posted complaining about Chris Cabin on WHM, but after people pointed out that he really does have movie expertise in his comments, and upon listening to more episodes, I have come to the conclusion that I was wrong and a total jackass. Cabin is a fine core member of the gang and while his impressions aren't up to Jupin levels, his insight into why movies fail on a technical and structural basis are awesome (once I paid enough attention to catch them).

Still wish they'd release live episodes. Cambridge, MA, is a really long ways away.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Vakal posted:

Listen to the Masters of the Universe episode and see how well that turned out.

Yeah that's true, but it shouldn't be an insurmountable issue. If Scott and Scott can get decent audio on their iPhones in the White House, WHM shouldn't have a problem.

The newest WHM Mailbag episode is a delight, these are fast becoming my favorite type of episodes. The movie theater work stories are great, along with the mundane celebrity encounters.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Good WHM news for fans who would like to listen to their live appearance commentaries, WHM posted a YouTube audio clip of their Green Lantern Live episode and the sound quality is superb: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOiJY0j0iq8

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Calaveron posted:

Without listening to the preview, I will bet you cash money this was said by Steve

Hahaha yeah, my favorite moment in the 200th episode were the two retakes because Steve introduced himself as Chris, then disconnected his microphone.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Newest WHM Mailbag is great, I'm starting to look forward to those a lot. The listener mail is entertaining and seems to always prompt an interesting movie story from the hosts. It was weird to me that Jupin got annoyed that a listener couldn't tell them apart, I had trouble myself for like 5 episodes or so before it totally clicked.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

I relistened to WHM's The Good Son, and holy cow I forgot how amazing it was. The constant call backs to the Surge getting ice cold and wanting to see what Urkel is up to, Elijah Wood being an old soul whose father is in Japan on shady business, and the Blues Brothers tangent are all perfect. I'm putting this up there with Battle for Endor and Halloween III.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

So it's definitely Thinner for the last episode of the month? I was going to guess RIPD