Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beeez
May 28, 2012
Yeah, I like HDTGM a lot. Some of the criticisms I've seen around here aren't even inaccurate, they just don't bother me as they do some people. On an internet that is over-saturated with vlog critics who aren't very funny and act like every single movie they watch is the worst, most infuriating thing ever, it's nice to have a voice that's more joyful about bad movies and piloted by actual comedians.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeez
May 28, 2012
After seeing all the praise it gets around here, I'm curious: is We Hate Movies the kind of podcast you can listen to even if you haven't seen the movie, or is it something that's really only funny if you're familiar with what they're discussing?

Beeez
May 28, 2012

bobkatt013 posted:

Does not matter if you have seen it or not.

Alright, cool, maybe I'll check it out sometime.

Beeez
May 28, 2012
I'm not "up to date" on WHM but I think I'm gonna have to listen to this episode soon. I had never heard of this movie but it sounds/looks like one of the most insane things ever.

Beeez
May 28, 2012
I still don't understand the constant making GBS threads on of HDTGM when every criticism seems present in WHM as well. Everyone except Chris Cabin has an incredibly annoying voice.

Beeez
May 28, 2012

OldTennisCourt posted:

I don't see this at all. Even if you think it's true, at least they don't scream "I KNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW" whenever anyone mentions something remotely weird in the movie.

I enjoy that. They have enthusiasm that's different from the "nerds snarking about bad movies" thing that's so prevalent on the internet. And as mentioned above, June is really funny and has a unique take on the movies, so her vocal quirks don't factor into it too much for me. I enjoy WHM too, I'm just saying I don't understand all the hate HDTGM gets.

Beeez
May 28, 2012
I've only seen the trailer, but at one point the Facebook movie kid says "The first rule of magic is always being the smartest guy in the room" or something like that. Now, I'm no magician, but I'm pretty sure that's not at all any rule of magic, let alone the first one.

Beeez
May 28, 2012
I agree, their hatred of Jim Belushi is my favorite thing.

Beeez
May 28, 2012

A Violence Gang posted:

Trawling the WHM archives I relistened to Babycakes which is another fantastic example of what I was talking about above. It's just so much more interesting when an attempt to create pablum results in utter insanity than it is when someone intentionally makes ludicrous bullshit. Like, Nicholas Cage and Uwe Boll know what they're doing but Riki Lake or Mary Steenburgen absolutely do not. I can still enjoy the former but the latter is like a glorious discovery of outsider art in bad movie podcast terms.

Yeah, that's why The Room is so popular. Even though Tommy Wiseau now pretends it was a comedy all along, the fact that he clearly took it so seriously is why it's so endearing.

Beeez
May 28, 2012
"I thought he was able to do those things because he really committed to being blind"

Beeez
May 28, 2012

bobkatt013 posted:

Maybe I should suggest Tiptoes. What a fucken strange movie.

Do it. Tiptoes is one of those movies I want to hear as many takes on as possible because of how bizarre it is.

Beeez
May 28, 2012

Production posted:

Jason Mantzoukas is a very funny guy, but I get a lot more replay value out of the podcast where only one guy doesn't understand what happened in the movie, instead of all three of the hosts. HDTGM is the Prometheus of podcasts: I completely enjoy it, but I can't quiet my sense that if the characters were a little more competent, they'd notice even more interesting things than they do.

I think they notice a lot of the minutia that's funny, they just don't understand the plot of most things.

Beeez
May 28, 2012
Yeah, when someone in this thread compared June to a Grandmother it was pretty spot on. Her frame of reference is totally different from the typical nerdy comedy person.

Beeez
May 28, 2012
It'd be a weird time to get a divorce, you'd think they wouldn't try for kids if their marriage was on the rocks.

Beeez
May 28, 2012
It would also require June wearing a fake stomach and tricking all their friends and fans.

Beeez
May 28, 2012
Yeah, when it's something like Gone Fishin' I think it's worth mocking, but generally one needs to be very careful about trying to mock a comedy.

Beeez
May 28, 2012
Since people have been quoting their favorite WHM moments, I have to give special mention to the part in the Die Another Day episode where they're talking about the use of London Calling when Bond says they have to go to London. I've been slowly making my way through their back catalog and Jupin's impression of a Mary-Kate and Ashley movie is hilarious for someone who grew up in the nineties with a younger sister.

Beeez
May 28, 2012

radlum posted:

Yeah, you are making it seem worse than it actually was. The baby was an "issue" a couple of times and I really didn't mind, I mean, why would I be upset over a baby interrupting my free bad movie podcast? Is Sharknado 2 so important that the discussion must not be interrupted by anyone?

I think they just brought the baby as a "fun" thing and then they realized it wasn't a good idea because of the crying. I doubt they'll do it again.

I figured they might've just not been able to get someone to look after it on short notice. With a baby that young I wouldn't want to just get a babysitter if I were them.

Beeez
May 28, 2012
Yeah, I don't care what anyone else says, Martin Short has done quite a few funny things.

Beeez
May 28, 2012

RagingBoner posted:

It's Chris, who is my least favorite of the bunch. He is constantly doing this feigned, righteously indignant shtick that just crawls all over me.

I love everyone else though!

Yeah, that annoys me too. He's always doing the angry nerd on Youtube style "WATCHING THIS MOVIE MADE ME WANT TO THROW MYSELF INTO AN INCINERATOR" shtick which has never been particularly funny conceptually. But I think he gets some decent jokes in, same with the other guys.

Beeez
May 28, 2012

Vakal posted:

The line is from another Stephen King movie, Secret Window, but they haven't done an episode about it yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3_XBLh8Xv8

Yeah, I think Steve just said "You stole mah story" at one point during one episode in reference to Secret Window and they started saying it periodically.

Beeez
May 28, 2012
I've not really gotten into Flophouse because I already have enough podcasts to listen to and the sound was so bad in their first episode I couldn't get through it. Could I just listen to episodes featuring movies I'd like to hear mocked, or is it so in-joke-y that it's not worth bothering?

Beeez
May 28, 2012
Thanks for the Flophouse info, y'all. I'll check some episodes out.

Beeez
May 28, 2012

weekly font posted:

I like Flop House but I think they get too distracted with puns/tangents/references and barely discuss the movie outside of the broadest terms and then jump into mailbag stuff which is my sign to turn it off. WHM does what I want out of a movie podcast but yeah, sometimes they run stuff into the ground.

Yeah, this has been my problem with the Flophouse after recently listening to some episodes. They have 30 minutes of mailbag, and the mailbag in the episodes I've listened hasn't been all that entertaining. I also haven't really found the two guys who aren't Elliot Kalan that funny either.

Beeez
May 28, 2012
I don't think I get why Eric Szyszka(?) is so loved around here. He says some funny things sometimes but I think Stephen Sajdak has the best batting average.

Beeez
May 28, 2012
Yeah, when I found out Chris Cabin isn't a comedian and is an actual movie critic it all sort of clicked into place for me. His fake outrage isn't fake, it's the actual reaction of a movie geek watching a bad movie played up for the podcast. He's actually not that bad for a non-comedy person, but then, I really think that WHM has the least funny hosts of the big movie podcasts in general, while it is still the best of them as an actual movie podcast for the reasons mentioned by other posters.

Beeez
May 28, 2012
Charles Dance was in Dracula Untold, so maybe that's the movie they're talking about?

Beeez
May 28, 2012
I agree, HDTGM's enthusiastic tone, actual funny people as hosts, and weird perspective makes it my favorite. It's refreshing in a sea of angry nerds who act like the movie they watched is a pile of demon poo poo that fell on their house and killed their entire family. I like WHM, but it does stray pretty close to the "Nostalgia Critic" type model of talking about weird and bad movies at times. The reactions of HDTGM's hosts seem more varied and sincere than most bad movie "review" things.

Beeez
May 28, 2012
June's "dumb" opinions are varied and sincere, and Jason making a joke about jerking off is one very minor part of his take on a given movie. I like both the Flophouse and WHM, but from what I've heard of the former Elliot barely cares about the movie and is just looking for his next opening for a bit, while Stuart and Dan never really say much period, while in the case of the latter everyone's angry about the movie and is going to complain that something a character does isn't what they'd do in that situation, even if it's a crazy sci-fi or fantasy movie. I'm not saying HDTGM is objectively better, but I do think their take on the movie isn't always "THIS MOVIE SUCKS AND IS STUPID" the way it is for so many internet bad movie reviewers.

Beeez
May 28, 2012

SamuraiFoochs posted:

IDK where you're getting that from WHM. They actually recommend movies fairly often, and most of the time they're laughing about ridiculousness rather than getting really pissed. Obviously there are exceptions, but as a general rule.

I dunno man, I've listened to quite a bit of their output and usually, even if they recommend the movie by the end, they do seem to approach it in a more vitriolic, "internet critic" way most of the time.

bobkatt013 posted:

Mostly the situation is when they would kill themselves like in Blame it to Rio.

Not just that, almost every episode they have a few instances where they either say "You would never do this in X situation!" or "If it's me, I'm doing X". That's more what I was thinking of in my other post.

Beeez
May 28, 2012

bobservo posted:

Yeah, agreed 100%. Andrew and Steve feel like real a comedy team (and the WHM dudes most skilled at improv/impressions) and play off of each other incredibly well. I think Chris only gets poo poo because it's really hard to replicate that kind of chemistry.

Yeah, I know around here Eric is mainly the one singled out, but I actually think Steve is the funniest guy on that show.

Beeez
May 28, 2012
I think in America people mainly just think of him as a monstrous historical figure because of the fact that he impaled his enemies and because he was the basis for the vampire. A lot of people don't know about German pamphlets from the 15th and 16th centuries.

Beeez
May 28, 2012
It's a bit of both. She feels that if you credited all the monkeys it would be more revealing of the artifice of it all, which would then make it clear that there is no actual monkey that is capable of evil plotting and premeditated murder.

Beeez
May 28, 2012
Jupin has more of a New York accent than Chris, too.

Beeez
May 28, 2012
I think Tiptoes is endlessly fascinating.

Beeez
May 28, 2012

Calaveron posted:

Him then admitting that he sounded like Cosby made me drop the weights I was lifting and trying to control myself from bursting in laughter

We get it, YOU LIFT WEIGHTS! We can't all be muscleheads like you!

Beeez
May 28, 2012
HDTGM is continuing the streak of not having June on when the movie would be perfect for her.

Beeez
May 28, 2012
Or she's shooting something and the schedule doesn't allow for her to go do the podcast.

Beeez
May 28, 2012
Man, still no June on HDTGM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeez
May 28, 2012
Yeah, I guess you're right. She better be back for Furious 7.