Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Oof. See I think time has been very kind to Mystery Men. I didn't like it as a kid but that's because I didn't get half of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

weekly font posted:

Oof. See I think time has been very kind to Mystery Men. I didn't like it as a kid but that's because I didn't get half of it.

e: I was definitely thinking of a different movie and I have no idea what it is. I have never seen a movie where Pee Wee Herman farts and that's the joke. The entire joke.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

bobkatt013 posted:

So will next weeks be Mortal Kombat or a Highlander sequel?

If it's gonna be a Mortal Kombat you gotta figure it'll be the sequel.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Drunkboxer posted:

I imagine it's Mortal Combat. It came out in August, it's stupid, 10 year rule, white guy karate etc.

I'd rather they didn't though. Two weeks of taking movies seriously that don't take themselves very seriously would be a drag.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Mailbag episode confirms Mortal Kombat. Boo.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Dracula 2000 is the best episode. "More nails for you Doubting Thomas!" Recently, Mrs. Doubtfire and Butterfly Effect are fantastic.

The MK episode is great so far. It's very much a We Love Movies episode.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Infamous Sphere posted:

Oh god, yeah, I hated listening to their impressions for that reason. It produced a similar reaction to being forced to watch someone eat with their mouth open.
I don't think they did that impression when reviewing other Burt Reynolds things, I can't remember them doing that in The Fuzz or Cop and a Half.

Burt Reynolds wasn't chewing on a giant phallus the entire movie for those.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Yeah we'll probably get an Animation Damnation and a mailbag in there somewhere. Wasn't August last year the release of the app in general? I remember thinking they took off solely to push the app but I guess I was wrong.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Seems like the next movie for WHM is The Substitue which is only disappointing because when they were talking about back to school I was desperately hoping for Teaching Mrs. Tingle.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I'll be suggesting Vibrations, where the boyfriend from Twin Peaks loses his hands, becomes homeless and then is saved via early 90s techno music and a robot suit. Also starring Kelly Bundy and April O'Neill version 2.0.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I love all the WHM guys for one reason or another. Andrew is a great host and nails the impressions (good or bad), Steve is the quickest witted, Eric's dry humor is a great balance and Chris has righteous indignation paired with some deep film knowledge. That said, Andrew-Eric-Chris episodes are by far the weakest. I don't know if that's saying more about Steve or Chris.

That said, have any of you guys tried watching their Private Cabin skits on Youtube? Hoooooly poo poo are they bad.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I saw this fucker in the theaters. Yuuuck.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

This year's Spooktacular is sequel mania so Bud the CHUD makes sense.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

cams posted:

June's "stance" taken on the newest HDTGM is one of the most egregious things I have ever heard.

She is going to get Paul killed.

I just finished laughing really hard at that part. I always assumed June played a bit of a character on the show but now uh, maybe not.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Fairly certain tonight's WHM is Jason Goes to Hell, which may not be the worst Friday the 13th (they already did that) but it's easily the weirdest.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Ror posted:

They did 5, which was reasoned to be the worst because it's the one that has no Jason. I think they bring up whether or not it's actually the worst in the ep, but the only other name I remember coming up was Jason X

There's a lot more reasons it's the worst besides no Jason, but it's the cherry on top of the poo poo sundae that movie is.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

The Senator Giroux posted:

I seem to remember reading in the horror thread that the production was just horrible, with key people getting fired and rewrites and such going on even when they were filming, so it's probably a combination of the late 90s post-Scream winks at the camera and just a production trying to finish a movie.

Yep, the original script is way different but I'm not sure it would have made a better movie. Hilariously, Jason X also beat out The Phantom Menace by a few weeks to become the first film entirely shot on digital (or something like that, I'm no tech guy).

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Maybe/probably. I can't find any internet proof of it but I'm positive it's bragged about in the commentary. But I really don't feel like watching Jason X again to hear it.

e: I'll check my copy of Crystal Lake Memories later.

e2: The book says it's the first film to be shot entirely on digital, so I imagine that stupid Star Wars brag is just some commentary circle jerking.

weekly font fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Oct 14, 2014

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I Still Know is monumentally retarded and assumes its audience is just as dumb. It should be fun.

Gotta say I'm a bit let down by the Jason Goes to Hell episode. They glossed over a lot of the dumb poo poo in the movie, which, with how much they DID go over should tell you a lot about JGtH.

weekly font fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Oct 14, 2014

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Gargamel Gibson posted:

On How Did This Get Made they jump all over the place and describe the movie very incoherently.

On We Hate Movies they usually go into too much detail. The plot descriptions are as long as the movies themselves.

The Flop House gets it just right. You get a pretty good sense of what the movie's like/about, and it moves along at a nice clip. All in all I think the formula they stick to is effective.

Note: I do like We Hate Movies though!

I like Flop House but I think they get too distracted with puns/tangents/references and barely discuss the movie outside of the broadest terms and then jump into mailbag stuff which is my sign to turn it off. WHM does what I want out of a movie podcast but yeah, sometimes they run stuff into the ground.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

The Modern Leper posted:

I've listened to literally every single WHM (except for Wired) and every WHM spinoff (Side Order, Damnation, etc.) - most twice. I still can't differentiate between the different personalities once any given episode is done.

Edit: Tangential sidenote on how much I love the spooktacular theme. Never gets tired.

For the longest time I didn't understand how people couldn't tell voices apart but I started listening to Flophouse and can't tell Dan/Stuart apart. I also can't tell the Alcohollywood guys apart.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Can you expand on this? I already had trouble believing Creighton Duke is a real character in a non-comedy film.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1WJzTTRuRk

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I like all three to various extents: v:shobon:v Flophouse today had a fantastic opening five minutes.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

HanzoSchmanzo posted:

Guys, I tried, and I tried. I just hate it. Huge WHM, and HDTGM fan, but I haven't been able to make it through a full Flop House yet.

Will try again later, I suppose.

Unless you really like hearing someone else's group of friends talk and inside joke, stop after final judgments. I can see why people get into their personalities but to me it's like listening to someone describe their dreams.

weekly font fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Oct 21, 2014

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

The Senator Giroux posted:

Well, the Monkey Shines episode is a great episode of HDTGM if you want to hear June maybe going completely insane towards the end.

I just came to post this. I find myself laughing really hard at whatever dumb poo poo spews from June and Jason calls her out on in the last few episodes.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Frankenfinger posted:

As best as I could figure it, she was leaning heavily into the idea that: Because the monkey was portrayed by 6 monkeys but only credited as one, it could be dangerous to animals(?) because then people would assume one monkey could actually do those kinds of things when in fact it takes many animals. This means the animals are personified more and people begin to treat them with less respect they otherwise would and could result in someone (monkeys - people?!?) being hurt in the process. Which I think tied back into the bears comment.

Jesus I don't know but it was magnificent to behold.

This is how I understood it too but that's based of Jason's understanding of it based on the James Bond counterexample. :psyduck:

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I guess next week is another Bond unless that hint is a curve ball?

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Oh right that would make some sense too. There's some garbage in his catalogue. (Multiplicity? Gamer? Hand That Rocks the Cradle? Pathology? oh god please Pathology)

weekly font fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Nov 11, 2014

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I think this might be the first week in a while that I liked HDTGM more than WHM.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

WHM preemptively jumping into the Worst of 2014. I like it.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Evil Mastermind posted:

I haven't listened to the Hider in the House episode yet, though. Does it fit the pattern?

fake edit: Oh poo poo, you get all four villains from those movies together, you've got the ultimate evil family!

Busey dies by bullets, his only weakness.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

My old bad movie podcast did LOL about a year ago and it really is as bonkers and weird and creepy as they make it out to be, even without Rob Huebel talking about jerking off a lot.

The chicken scene is mindboggling.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Gargamel Gibson posted:

What's your podcast and how'd you get Rob Huebel?

No no, Huebel is on this week's HDTGM and talks about getting high and jerking off. A lot.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Hewlett posted:

So he's literally his character from The League.

EDIT: His old podcast is Netflix Martyrs and it is/was solid:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/the-netflix-martyrs/id634114104?mt=2

Aw shucks. :3:

We had a good time doing the 'cast but learned a lot from our year-long foray and are going to be bringing it back in a new capacity soonish, hopefully having learned from our mistakes. I'd definitely recommend listening to our episode on Elizabethtown. We hate hate hated that movie on a Roger Ebert level.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Evil Mastermind posted:

I'm glad to head that; I didn't find out about your podcast until after it faded. I loved the "Cyber Seduction: His Secret Life" episode.

Oh man, I really appreciate it!

If I knew we had listeners maybe we would have tried harder to keep it alive but a few things messed it up. One was that we were spread out across the country so we had to use Skype/Google Hangouts and it made it an absolute pain to edit together into something coherent. The big thing I've taken from listening to WHM and Alcohollywood is that in-person works so much better. So D and myself (Chris) will be putting together a new podcast tentatively called "Franchise Players" where we go through an entire film franchise. We're really excited because we don't only have to talk about bad movies, but it will still be a major focus. For example, we'll be tackling the Halloween franchise early on and it's great that we get to talk about an all-time classic (1), a laugh out loud cult classic (3) and one of the biggest pieces of poo poo ever (8).

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Infamous Sphere posted:

I wonder what Clint Worthington (Hewlett/1 half of Alcohollywood) thinks of Clint Goodman. After all, his name's only a few changes away from being CLINT WORTHYMAN which is almost as good.

Next WHM? Hint's "Murals." I reckon it's gonna be Xanadu.
Has WHM ever done a musical? I know YITB did a couple.

Star Wars Holiday Special

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

If you're into WHM Spoilers, there's a doozy added to Jupin's Letterboxd Episode List.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

bobkatt013 posted:

To be fair, they did say that they were going to do that movie when it was back on Netflix. I expect lots of cheers and Spock jokes Personally I still think they should have done the sequel.

Yeah we knew this week was coming but the one after Jingle All The Way 2.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

The Modern Leper posted:

The sense of smug entitlement in that post makes me mad every time I read it.

Yeah, I was never big on the show but what the gently caress even is this? How big of a oval office do you have to be to dig up dirt on random internet pseudo-pseudo-celebs. Who gives a poo poo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

ChristianDB posted:

Been on a real WHM binge. Show is hilarious but I have to say that Chris gabbin is a very unfunny individual, episodes with him on it seem to grind to a halt every time he talks. He stinks.

*Cabin, and yeah he's the one of the three who doesn't dabble in comedy at all. But he's there because he has the deepest film knowledge by far. He serves his purpose, occasionally. I wouldn't be sad if every episode was Andrew/Steve/Eric though.