Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

Mogambo posted:

What's wrong with We Hate Movies, pray tell, aside from "Rar how DARE these people do goofy impressions of Wilford Brimley; I much prefer podcasts where they read letters for over half the episode and then make cat noises"?

The Flophouse guys have a natural chemistry and seem like they use their real personalities. The We Hate Movies guys are always "on" and seem like they're trying to out-wacky each other every step of the way. It's very tiresome. They remind me of the dorks who sat in the back of my CS classes and would never shut up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

Maremidon posted:

Wow it's almost like people have different tastes in comedy.

Wow, it's almost like this is a place to discuss bad movie podcasts.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

DrVenkman posted:

On the other hand I've given HDTGM and The Flophouse another try and I'm still not that into them. It's the last chance I give HDTGM because it's just...not very funny. The Flophouse is a close second though but really wish they'd actually talk about the movie a little more instead of twenty minutes and then "Mailbag!"

I enjoy The Flophouse but I think their movie selection hurts them. They focus almost exclusively on modern studio movies, which are usually just dully-mediocre, instead of the craziness of the older bad movies.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I was going to give it a chance but you can only go back 20 or so episodes before they cost money, no thanks.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

Two really good Flophouse Podcasts in a row. Between Stewart's Werner Hertzog and Elliott's Sylvester Stallone, an awesome episode.

I wish they recorded shows once a week though.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

I still love The Flop House, do posters here still listen to it?

HDTGM kind of soured me when they put the old episodes behind a paywall, it was already annoying to listen to before that but jeez.

I do, even though I don't love it the way I used to in the very beginning. I don't know if it's changed or I have.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Pretty much same, I don't really think Elliot moving ruined it or anything but it hasn't been the same for a while even before that.

The one with one of those podcasting brothers that people like for some reason, like two episodes ago, unlistenable.

I think the show just had a younger energy back then. There was a real sense that the guys would probably be screwing around in their apartments and watching bad movies even without the podcast, but everybody grows up. Personally, the older I get the more I can't help but feel like watching bad movies on purpose is a giant waste of time.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

Chairman Capone posted:

Didn't Earwolf do one that's entirely about the Halloween franchise?

Amy Nicholson and I wanna say Paul Scheer did a Halloween franchise podcast, I think.

The Senator Giroux posted:

They did In Voorhees We Trust with Gourley and Rust on Stitcher Premium about Friday the 13th. They’ve pretty heavily hinted they want to do another season and likely will be about Halloween since it’s a big touchstone for Gourley.

I highly recommend it. Each episode is roughly twice as long as each movie they cover.

Was this any good? I listened to the preview but it was just Paul and Matt being silly for an hour and it gave me the impression that the podcast was more of an excuse for the two of them to riff together than actually talk about the movies.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Kind of in a lovely spot now, as movie podcasts used to be my favorite thing to listen to, and three of the most popular have kind of gone to poo poo lately.

HDTGM is just a bunch of idiots screaming over each other trying to prove how little they know about the movie they're talking about.

We Hate Movies seemingly spending more effort on proving how woke they are and how they're just so horrified that an old movie doesn't conform to modern sensibilities.

The Flop House, where everyone just seems bored now and seems like they'd rather be doing anything else, and can't wait to hit their episode time limit and nope the gently caress out of the whole thing.

I've posted about this in this thread before, but for me personally the appeal of watching and talking about bad movies has steadily declined over the years, and it's possible that the same thing can happen to the hosts of bad movie podcasts.

I think it's a combination of streaming culture and just growing older. When an endless stream of generic ABC Family Channel crap (Netflix) and Z-grade junk (Amazon) are a few clicks away it's just not the same as when you would pick-out an old DVD or VHS and pop it in. It's also a lot easier to justify spending all weekend drinking 30 cans of beer and watching trash when you're 24 than when you're 34.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

Holy cow.

https://twitter.com/theflophousepod/status/1113623748723314688