Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Endorph posted:

fates is a much better designed game than awakening anyway so it's not like you have to beat awakening before playing it

for starters fates never just dumps you in an open field with a bunch of strong enemies, while every map in awakening from the point you're at onwards is basically that

This sounds boring and awful :(.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Wildtortilla posted:

That is a pretty reasonable way to describe a good chunk of Fire Emblem: Awakening.

Fates is a ton better.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Wildtortilla posted:

yes

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

to be fair to awakening most of the kids maps are actually designed, but the main story from that point on is:

a map where you have to run away from sorcerers spamming mire at you, which is sort of cool but mostly just 'move forward and pray you don't die'

open field with a lot of minibosses

big-rear end room with chrom and robin off to the side

i mean there's forests

it's a big-rear end field with a giant rock in the middle

it's literally just a 25x25 box with infinitely spawning enemies

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Awakening has better characters, imo. Keeping in mind I've only played Birthright so far.

Awakening is more fun if you like breaking a game over your knee, and the kid characters are actually good and fun as opposed to Fates kinda lovely kids.

Awakening has Apotheosis, which can be great fun if you like grinding like I do.

Apart from that, yeah, Fates is way better in every other way.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Reinanigans posted:

Awakening has better characters, imo. Keeping in mind I've only played Birthright so far.

Awakening is more fun if you like breaking a game over your knee, and the kid characters are actually good and fun as opposed to Fates kinda lovely kids.

The Conquest cast is a lot stronger than the Birthright cast, I think, especially because the Birthright cast suddenly becomes interesting when they're your antagonists (especially Takumi). No argument that the characters are kind of boring when you're actually playing Birthright, though. I hope the presence of the Conquest cast in Revelation makes it equally entertaining.

The kids are good, too, but you have to try harder to make them good this time. Basically you have to make absolutely sure that the kid's variable parent (usually mother) has growths that reinforce the kid's natural growths, rather than counteract them, or the kid is going to turn out lovely. If you do that, though, kids can be better than their parents, Awakening-style. Special points to Soleil and Velouria on the Conquest side, both of whom are actually tough to screw up no matter who their mother is.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Harrow posted:

The Conquest cast is a lot stronger than the Birthright cast, I think, especially because the Birthright cast suddenly becomes interesting when they're your antagonists (especially Takumi). No argument that the characters are kind of boring when you're actually playing Birthright, though. I hope the presence of the Conquest cast in Revelation makes it equally entertaining.

The kids are good, too, but you have to try harder to make them good this time. Basically you have to make absolutely sure that the kid's variable parent (usually mother) has growths that reinforce the kid's natural growths, rather than counteract them, or the kid is going to turn out lovely. If you do that, though, kids can be better than their parents, Awakening-style. Special points to Soleil and Velouria on the Conquest side, both of whom are actually tough to screw up no matter who their mother is.
i think he was comparing the kids writing-wise

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Endorph posted:

i think he was comparing the kids writing-wise

Oh, yeah. In that case Awakening wins pretty handily. There are a few amusing kids in Fates but not the majority.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Yeah, I meant as far as writing goes. I think it's overall stronger in Awakening.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Reinanigans posted:

Yeah, I meant as far as writing goes. I think it's overall stronger in Awakening.

Given what I've seen of Corrin being a naive idiot in all routes while Garon being even less subtle about his evil than Validar, that's pretty accurate. If we're just focusing on the kids, then Awakening completely blows Fates out of the water by making a logical origin with some real drama in the kids' past as well as meeting their alternate versions of their parents from the past to fill in conversations. Fates makes it very clear that they only added kids to mimic Awakening, doesn't bother to make any of them relevant or particularly interesting and has to resort of the Hyperbolic Baby Chamber to age them up.

I could go on, but Fate's writing really bugged me. Awakening may have been a basic story with wasted potential, but at least it was more competent about using what it had than it's better-designed successor.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ophelia is actually kind of interesting outside of her chuuni bit, and Soleil, Nina, and Mitama are fun.

Fair play on the relevant bit, though.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Geostomp posted:

Given what I've seen of Corrin being a naive idiot in all routes while Garon being even less subtle about his evil than Validar, that's pretty accurate. If we're just focusing on the kids, then Awakening completely blows Fates out of the water by making a logical origin with some real drama in the kids' past as well as meeting their alternate versions of their parents from the past to fill in conversations. Fates makes it very clear that they only added kids to mimic Awakening, doesn't bother to make any of them relevant or particularly interesting and has to resort of the Hyperbolic Baby Chamber to age them up.

I could go on, but Fate's writing really bugged me. Awakening may have been a basic story with wasted potential, but at least it was more competent about using what it had than it's better-designed successor.

Yep, all of this goes double for me. I also think the split path contributed to the dip in writing quality. BioWare IntSys is not, so they fall back on using a lot of tropes, cliches, and archetypal characters, and because there are at least twice as many characters in Fates, where one character in Awakening may have been rather one note, but had a little bit more going on behind the scenes, nearly all the characters in Fates are 100% one dimensional by necessity as they don't want to duplicate personalities within the same game.

edit: This is 100% my own lunatic weirdo issue and is not an actual knock against Fates, but I'm not a fan of Corrin being a water elemental. As you can tell by my avatar, I loves me some pokeymen, and water is easily my least favorite type, so it sucks that all of the cutscenes and so on imply that my avatar is associated with water. I mean, I also made my avatar a female and I'm a dude, so there wasn't a lot of self insertion going on anyway, but...that's why this is the ranting of a crazy person rather than a valid criticism.

Nanigans fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Mar 10, 2016

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Wow, I don't remember chapter 24 at all. And wtf, there was a chapter called Awakening and it wasn't the last chapter?

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Strange Quark posted:

Wow, I don't remember chapter 24 at all. And wtf, there was a chapter called Awakening and it wasn't the last chapter?

That's the chapter where your crew has to take Chrom's version the Falchion to the top of the sacred mountain so they can perform the Awakening ceremony to unlock its full power so that it can force Grima back into slumber.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

W.T. Fits posted:

That's the chapter where your crew has to take Chrom's version the Falchion to the top of the sacred mountain so they can perform the Awakening ceremony to unlock its full power so that it can force Grima back into slumber.

Oh, I think I vaguely remember something like that. That map doesn't really evoke a mountain setting though.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Reinanigans posted:

BioWare IntSys is not, so they fall back on using a lot of tropes, cliches, and archetypal characters,
that sounds exactly like bioware to me

and also there are more characters in awakening than there are in fates, at least if we're talking first gen.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Mar 11, 2016

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

and even if we aren't talking first gen:

awakening: 51
fates: 65

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
fe: awakening is better written than any bioware game, tbh

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

alcharagia posted:

fe: awakening is better written than any bioware game, tbh
fire emblem gaiden is better written than any bioware game

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Endorph posted:

fire emblem gaiden is better written than any bioware game

:yeah:

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

my dad worked with some of the people who founded bioware when they were doctors

he didn't like them

that's my bioware story

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

conquest is better written than any bioware game

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
bioware's writers have a 0% skill growth

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Playing conquest on classic. Keep getting destroyed by criticals. Is there a way to alliviate/mitigate this? Or should I just rewind 5 years in gaming technology and reset 5 times a map when I get rnged?

Question. Is it a viable strategy to master seal someone at level 10ish that I don't want to use long term (arthur) to get through early levels and abandon him later after I breed him.

Seems like a good idea but long term strategy being able to gently caress you thought I would ask.

And seriously gently caress criticals. Makes me want to play casual.

Bombadilillo fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Mar 11, 2016

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Endorph posted:

conquest is better written than any bioware game

I like dragon age

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Bombadilillo posted:

Playing conquest on classic. Keep getting destroyed by criticals. Is there a way to alliviate/mitigate this? Or should I just rewind 5 years in gaming technology and reset 5 times a map when I get rnged?

Question. Is it a viable strategy to master seal someone at level 10ish that I don't want to use long term (arthur) to get through early levels and abandon him later after I breed him.

Seems like a good idea but long term strategy being able to gently caress you thought I would ask.
arthur's gimmick is that he is more susceptible to crits so these two ideas seem at odds

not to mention he'd steal all your exp

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Truth time: I've only ever played KotOR by Bioware, but I always see their writing praised. I couldn't think of another developer with strong writing, so I chose 'em at random. Point is! Fire Emblem uses a lot of archetypes, but they're a li'l better in Awakening.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Could you please talk about Fates in the Fates thread? I'm in Europe so I've been trying to avoid any Fates chat until I can get ahold of it and just assumed that the Awakening thread would be safe.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I think that guy just got confused about what thread he was in since there are 3 fire emblem threads now

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
There are three? I've only noticed Awakening and Fates threads.

In an attempt to get this back on track, I'm hoping to hit this game hard this weekend, recruit some kids, and grind them up to carry me through the end of the game, based on recommendations others made to me earlier this week. I like Awakening but some things about it (reinforcements, basic Rock Paper Scissors combat, and boring maps) are slowing me down. It sounds like all those issues are remedied in Fates and I'm looking forward to playing it eventually.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the weapon triangle is still in fates but bows, magic, and daggers (a new weapon type) are a part of the same weapon triangle as axes/swords/lances now.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Wildtortilla posted:

There are three? I've only noticed Awakening and Fates threads.

The Fire Emblem Megathread is eternal

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Is there a quick way to level Maribelle? I'd love to make her a dark flier but that seems like a long way off at this rate.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Wildtortilla posted:

Is there a quick way to level Maribelle? I'd love to make her a dark flier but that seems like a long way off at this rate.

Rescue staves.

Huge XP bonus from using those things.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
In my game Chrom and the Avatar are married. Chrom has Dual Strike +, Aether, and Charm. Robin has Veteran, Solidarity, and Ignis. I'm at the prep screen for Morgan's paralogue and she is a Tactician with Veteran, Solidarity, Ignis, and Rightful King. I'm assuming something exceptional is happening and she's getting Rightful King from Chrom, but drat I was hoping to give her Aether. Is there anyway to salvage this?

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Wildtortilla posted:

In my game Chrom and the Avatar are married. Chrom has Dual Strike +, Aether, and Charm. Robin has Veteran, Solidarity, and Ignis. I'm at the prep screen for Morgan's paralogue and she is a Tactician with Veteran, Solidarity, Ignis, and Rightful King. I'm assuming something exceptional is happening and she's getting Rightful King from Chrom, but drat I was hoping to give her Aether. Is there anyway to salvage this?

Chrom (and Lucina iirc) always passes down Rightful King to male kids and Aether to female kids, regardless of whether or not he has the skills yet.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Wildtortilla posted:

Morgan's a guy if your Avatar is female.

You need to be passing Galeforce down to him or he'll never get it.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Yorkshire Tea posted:

Morgan's a guy if your Avatar is female.

You need to be passing Galeforce down to him or he'll never get it.

It is too late for Galeforce.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

not if you're still in the prep screen. hell, if you've started the map and not finished it yet you can still restart and get galeforce before doing it. you can reconfigure your skills as much as you want so long as you haven't completed the chapter yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Wildtortilla posted:

It is too late for Galeforce.

I don't understand why? You can second seal your Robin to Dark flier.

• Locked thread