Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Wildtortilla posted:

It is too late for Galeforce.

It's not, but it would require a poo poo-load of grinding. Frankly, it's not worth it for your first playthrough when you're already struggling. Just have him inhrit Ignis and have done. For future reference, if you don't like the skill load-out of a kid, you can just back out of the prep screen, rearrange your skills (or learn new ones), and go back in. The kids' skills aren't set until you start the battle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Awakening is not a hard game, so don't stress about passing down optimal skillsets.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Yea I've been backing out to make sure the skills are right.

My willingness to continue grinding parents is the limiting factor for gale force. I don't need to min/max my first play through. With that said I spent two hours last night making a road map for character development and found it surprisingly satisfying. It'll put me in a position to enjoy the rest of the game. I'm really excited for Fates now. FE "clicked" for me last night. :D

Wildtortilla fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Mar 13, 2016

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Wildtortilla posted:

My willingness to continue grinding parents is the limiting factor for gale force. I don't need to min/max my first play through. With that said I spent two hours last night making a road map for character development and found it surprisingly satisfying. It'll put me in a position to enjoy the rest of the game. I'm really excited for Fates now. FE "clicked" for me last night. :D

You will be pleased to know that Fates' reclass system is less inherently grindy.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

it's just not necessary to grind for skills in fates because most everything has good skills. you don't have any situations like cherche where a unit just gets nothing cool at all. most of the class sets are a lot better as well, and personal skills do a lot to make characters feel different

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Wildtortilla posted:

The skills leveling in Fates is different. If you change from a level 10 paladin to a level 10 Great Knight, you learn Luna on the next level (levels don't reset).

If you change from a level 10 Great Knight to a Level 10 Sniper, you learn both archer skills and the level 5 skill in the next 3 levels.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Fates sounds really loving sweet if all this is true. It sounds like it removed all the bullshit holding back Awakening from being better than it is.

Endorph posted:

grinding for skills is not what FE is about

Not the grinding, just planning out my team and realizing all the possibilities. If I had done this sooner I wouldn't be grinding right now. I just realized what kind of team I wanted and now I have to grind for it.

Wildtortilla fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Mar 13, 2016

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Wildtortilla posted:

FE "clicked" for me last night. :D

fates and awakening are the only games that even have you get skills on level-up

fe4 and 5 have them tied to specific characters, and fe9 and 10 have them tied to scrolls that you just use and that's it, they've got the skill

and the other half of the games in the series don't even have skills

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Endorph posted:

fates and awakening are the only games that even have you get skills on level-up

fe4 and 5 have them tied to specific characters, and fe9 and 10 have them tied to scrolls that you just use and that's it, they've got the skill

and the other half of the games in the series don't even have skills

FE8 also had skills tied to classes, although since there was no reclassing you couldn't really go around collecting a big list of skills like in Awakening or Fates.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

also there were only like 3 skills in 8, the one you will never notice because snipers will always have 100% hit anyway, the one that crashes the game sometimes, and the one that is actually kinda useful

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Cake Attack posted:

also there were only like 3 skills in 8, the one you will never notice because snipers will always have 100% hit anyway, the one that crashes the game sometimes, and the one that is actually kinda useful
my personal fav is when valter crit pierces ephraim and also crashes the game

it's like a game over, but more insulting

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

assassin had lethality in fe7. that's p much it

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

There were a few classes in FE4 that had innate Pursuit.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Avoiding reading the thread too much to not run into too many spoilers; I just started out, strutted in on Expert thinking that the previous (GBA) FE games I played were challenging but not really very hard. I went on to die a lot more a lot earlier than I expected (granted through sloppy play, but the margins felt pretty thin). Should I restart on Normal or is this more a matter of the curve unusually being even enough that losing early does not mean you are entirely screwed later on? I am correct that there is no way to change it later right? I know myself well enough to tell that I am more likely to abandon even a fun game rather than replay it to adjust difficulty.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

Avoiding reading the thread too much to not run into too many spoilers; I just started out, strutted in on Expert thinking that the previous (GBA) FE games I played were challenging but not really very hard. I went on to die a lot more a lot earlier than I expected (granted through sloppy play, but the margins felt pretty thin). Should I restart on Normal or is this more a matter of the curve unusually being even enough that losing early does not mean you are entirely screwed later on? I am correct that there is no way to change it later right? I know myself well enough to tell that I am more likely to abandon even a fun game rather than replay it to adjust difficulty.

Awakening's difficulty is very frontloaded: the first few chapters are the hardest just because you don't have many options available to you at that point. By Expert, do you mean Hard or Lunatic? Hard is pretty reasonable after the first couple of chapters, Lunatic stays hard for longer.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I'm playing through hard as my first FE game and it feels pretty okay. I didn't have to grind until I hit chapter 19. I tried repeatedly but I couldn't handle CH 19. I've since spent ~8 hours grinding up all the characters I've ignored to start recruiting their children.

I've just about got all the children at this point so just a few more hours to raise them and I'll be back at it. I normally hate grinding but thankfully I had season 1 of Better Call Saul to get me through it.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Thuryl posted:

Awakening's difficulty is very frontloaded: the first few chapters are the hardest just because you don't have many options available to you at that point. By Expert, do you mean Hard or Lunatic? Hard is pretty reasonable after the first couple of chapters, Lunatic stays hard for longer.

Sorry, apparently forgot the names of the difficulties, I mean Hard. Your reply covers matters entirely for me though, I was just fearful that these were meant to be fights I should breeze through and I'd end up unhappily grinding or just giving up later in the game (I will certainly do my best to obsessively min-max xp distribution and items etc., which has tended to go a long way in previous games).

Thanks, really liking the game so far, so all the better if it'll stay fun :)

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Wildtortilla posted:

I'm playing through hard as my first FE game and it feels pretty okay. I didn't have to grind until I hit chapter 19. I tried repeatedly but I couldn't handle CH 19. I've since spent ~8 hours grinding up all the characters I've ignored to start recruiting their children.

I've just about got all the children at this point so just a few more hours to raise them and I'll be back at it. I normally hate grinding but thankfully I had season 1 of Better Call Saul to get me through it.

There's a reason the EXPonential growth DLC is the best.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Yorkshire Tea posted:

There's a reason the EXPonential growth DLC is the best.

I would have given up on this game ten hours ago if it weren't for that map.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I've been replaying while I wait for Fates to come out here and I'm having a really good time. I was a bit worried I'd burn out on FE before Fates but atm playing three campaigns seems like a good time.

Also this is the first time I put any effort into Donnel and even though I had a few really unlucky stat rolls he is still destroying everything that gets in his way. I tend to just dump him and War Monk Lissa in a choke point while the rest of my army do other things.

Konig
Feb 24, 2012

This stink up's mega
bam-bam to the J-Stop
God dammit it's been about 18 months since I last played Awakening and now I'm poo poo at it again. Keep dying on the third or fourth mission, the one with the bridge, but I suspect I'm just bumrushing it too hard.

EDIT: Are you loving kidding me.
I'm in Donnel's Paralogue (Donnel had gotten 2 level ups, I'd gotten all the loot, all enemies dead except for the boss). I take Chrom in for the final strike against the boss. Boss had 17 HP, Chrom was gonna do 9x2=18 at 100% chance to hit, no sweat.

THE BOSS CRITS OFF A 6% CHANCE TO CRIT, 32% CHANCE TO HIT, killing Chrom from 100% health and ending the game.

That'll teach me to rely on tanking/dodging strikes.

:xcom:

Konig fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Mar 20, 2016

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Surround your unit to literally make crit impossible. You get bonus stats depending on the number of units adjacent to it, including crit avoid.

Konig
Feb 24, 2012

This stink up's mega
bam-bam to the J-Stop

Tae posted:

Surround your unit to literally make crit impossible. You get bonus stats depending on the number of units adjacent to it, including crit avoid.

Yeah I vaguely remember that, but it was still an "are you loving kidding" moment. Got him the second time around. Keen for "I don't need a pair up" Donnel to take shape!

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Man I spent about 15 hours grinding and I've been sweeping through paralogue missions since. I'm stuck as hell on Gerome's mission. I get two or three turns into it and my party gets shredded. I was determined to see this through but this mission is really trying my patience again, since last getting stuck on chapter 19.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Wildtortilla posted:

Man I spent about 15 hours grinding and I've been sweeping through paralogue missions since. I'm stuck as hell on Gerome's mission. I get two or three turns into it and my party gets shredded. I was determined to see this through but this mission is really trying my patience again, since last getting stuck on chapter 19.

1. Is this your last Paralogue? Gerome's is meant to be the most difficult so you should take it on last.

2. If you go onto simple view, what are the combined total of your stats vs. the enemy's stats? If it's lower you can afford to grind up a bit more without losing the challenge. If it's higher you need to rethink your strategy.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Yorkshire Tea posted:

1. Is this your last Paralogue? Gerome's is meant to be the most difficult so you should take it on last.

2. If you go onto simple view, what are the combined total of your stats vs. the enemy's stats? If it's lower you can afford to grind up a bit more without losing the challenge. If it's higher you need to rethink your strategy.

My teams ranking total is 1905 and the enemy's ranking to total is 3964, and that's not counting the reinforcements that arrive a few turns in. This isn't my last paralogue, it's just the one I picked to do next. It seems I'm wildly outmatched. I was considering putting off this mission but it figured it wasn't playing poorly. I think it's a case of big numbers vs small numbers. Thanks for bringing that up.

I wanted to get all the kids before I started using them but maybe I should start pairing up some of the kids I have. Some of my units have abysmal stats, especially Kellum. Is he always a joke of a unit?

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Wildtortilla posted:

My teams ranking total is 1905 and the enemy's ranking to total is 3964, and that's not counting the reinforcements that arrive a few turns in. This isn't my last paralogue, it's just the one I picked to do next. It seems I'm wildly outmatched. I was considering putting off this mission but it figured it wasn't playing poorly. I think it's a case of big numbers vs small numbers. Thanks for bringing that up.

I wanted to get all the kids before I started using them but maybe I should start pairing up some of the kids I have. Some of my units have abysmal stats, especially Kellum. Is he always a joke of a unit?

Sorry, I probably wasn't clear. An individual unit will have a rating of say, 200. If your individual units match up to the ratings of the units they're facing on an individual basis, not in total, then you should be okay.

Honestly, level the kids, they're just so much better than their parents. I personally have never used Kellam past the mission you get him, so I can't comment on that, but I've never seen much use for him given his abysmal mobility.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

dont look at ranking totals

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The ranking total is a useless number.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
It shows your total combined stats and the enemy's total combined stats. I've found it to be a decent guide to whether you're over or under levelled for a mission. Especially given how quickly the children grow relative to their parents. It's not looking individually at the Str. for a berserker unit sure, but if you do that for every mission then you're crazy.

I mean you can blindly assert that they're useless, but you'd be wrong.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

yes you can and you'd be right

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Cake Attack posted:

yes you can and you'd be right

Why?

It's really hard to make Awakening a challenge without steamrolling it or playing Avatar Emblem. If you try to equalise your levels to those of the enemy forces, your high growth units will just annihilate the game. If you progress the story and just do it that way whilst never grinding, you'll never be able to use the child units since they start at 10 and inevitably a couple of units will become stupidly overpowered whilst everyone else falls behind.

If you approximately try to equalise stats between you and your opponent, which is what this method does, then you at least have some semblance of balance.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the problem is you can be anna and have 30 luck, magic, skill, and res, and then like 10 defense and strength and be at 130 rating and way above units with like straight 20s in stats that actually matter

rating would work as a judge of unit strength in a system where all stats matter equally, but fire emblem isn't really that system.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Endorph posted:

the problem is you can be anna and have 30 luck, magic, skill, and res, and then like 10 defense and strength and be at 130 rating and way above units with like straight 20s in stats that actually matter

rating would work as a judge of unit strength in a system where all stats matter equally, but fire emblem isn't really that system.

Okay so we actually agree. There are definitely going to be outliers and that's fine. I certainly wouldn't use rating to say whether a unit was appropriate for Apotheosis for example. But that doesn't make the rating useless.

Stat growth is influenced by the character and the class they're in. Awakening is designed so that characters /tend/ to start in classes with growth rates that are in line with what the character needs. This means that over 20 levels or so they're going to get growth rates that are approximately predictable and tend to favour the class they're in correctly. Taking this sample size across an entire army means that on average you're going to end up with characters that are just about good enough to go against the encounter they're facing.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

why not just judge by level and glancing at stats, though? You don't need to look at every single individual berserker, enemies in FE games are pretty much copy/pasted with very, very minor deviations in stats.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

the way you tell you're under levelled is by looking at the enemy levels compared to your own. some stats are just useless to some units, so the ranking cannot give an accurate account of how much of a threat they are. like if you're using cherche as a wyvern lord and she just decides to hit her magic growth every time, that's still accounted for in the total even though the stat is utterly useless to her unless she's holding a bolt axe. some stats are more important than others

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Looking at things like whether your units are being doubled or OHKOed or enemies get 4+HKOed in return will be a lot more accurate to check for if you are underleveled than the enemies levels or rating which are pretty meaningless.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Endorph posted:

why not just judge by level and glancing at stats, though? You don't need to look at every single individual berserker, enemies in FE games are pretty much copy/pasted with very, very minor deviations in stats.

Because level in FE:A is really misleading. Given you can second seal and also given that the kids just grow so much faster than their parents. A team made of child units at the same level as the enemies they face will completely steamroll the game. A character that second sealed at level 10 and is now a 10 promote is much stronger than a character that didn't.

I agree about glancing at stats, but meaningfully that's just the same as what I'm doing except I do so on an aggregated basis across the army.

Manatee Cannon posted:

the way you tell you're under levelled is by looking at the enemy levels compared to your own. some stats are just useless to some units, so the ranking cannot give an accurate account of how much of a threat they are. like if you're using cherche as a wyvern lord and she just decides to hit her magic growth every time, that's still accounted for in the total even though the stat is utterly useless to her unless she's holding a bolt axe. some stats are more important than others

What you say is a plausible scenario. On average however that won't happen and broadly speaking, especially later in the game, when units have gone through 20+ levelups it's incredibly rare that a unit will significantly deviate from their intended growth path. Combined growth is NOT valuable as a tool to rate an individual unit. It is useful as a tool to quickly rate whether your army is appropriate for the mission at hand without having to go and do it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

only losers use second seals. winners play the game straight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Yorkshire Tea posted:

Why?

It's really hard to make Awakening a challenge without steamrolling it or playing Avatar Emblem. If you try to equalise your levels to those of the enemy forces, your high growth units will just annihilate the game. If you progress the story and just do it that way whilst never grinding, you'll never be able to use the child units since they start at 10 and inevitably a couple of units will become stupidly overpowered whilst everyone else falls behind.

If you approximately try to equalise stats between you and your opponent, which is what this method does, then you at least have some semblance of balance.

Avatar Emblem is in fact one of the easiest ways to cheese Awakening

With the help of your pal and friend Nosferatu

• Locked thread